cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not full service

pirateinuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Despite being signed up through public mobile for calling within Canada and the U.S., my wife's phone only works while in Canada. This is problematic for when she was in the U.S. for a convention recently, she could neither call family in Canada nor could we call her for the duration of the convention. Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That word assume...lol as the old saying goes ..never do it..or it could make an ass/u/me

(Out of)..😀

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker wrote:

@Jessica_T, and if you click on the plan detail, it is described as to in the details.

Subscribers need to do their research, and not just look at the ad.

Too many new and old subscribers still fail to read everything before making a selection.

@stonechuckerYes it is, very clearly but people no longer practice due diligence. They skim, ignore details, dont read terms, stick in their credit card and hit continue as fast as possible then while not in this case, but more often than not will play the blame game even faster than they signed up while spewing insults. I was giving my theory to @srlawren's comment not condoning their behaviour.

@srlawren wrote:
 I'm not sure why people make this assumption, but they do.  

@Jessica_T, and if you click on the plan detail, it is described as to in the details.

Subscribers need to do their research, and not just look at the ad.

Too many new and old subscribers still fail to read everything before making a selection.

Jessica_T

@srlawren wrote:

they misunderstood what the "Canada-wide and to the USA" talk option meant and thought it meant they could freely roam to the USA without needing anything else.  This comes up semi-regularly unfortunately.  I'm not sure why people make this assumption, but they do.  

@srlawrenPublic mobile forgot to include the word "to" in the advertisement. It is shown in the plan builder, but not in the advertisement. Probably a mistake but this has aggravated multiple customers. As an interested customer making up their mind and deciding to activate it could be easy to miss this newly introduced word "to" after already having an idea in their head of what they are signing up to, especially if they go in store and ask for the $50 unlimited canada/usa 8gb plan.

50.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jessica_T wrote:

@pirateinuk wrote:

Despite being signed up through public mobile for calling within Canada and the U.S., my wife's phone only works while in Canada. This is problematic for when she was in the U.S. for a convention recently, she could neither call family in Canada nor could we call her for the duration of the convention. Thoughts?

Were the funds removed from the account? Buying the addon is a 2 step process and often the money is still sitting as available funds. Did she buy the correct usa roaming package? She may have in error bought only the usa roaming text or usa roaming data add-on. Which did she buy and was her data/text working ok?

@Jessica_T unless I've misread @pirateinuk's post (which is entirely possible), they did not even attempt to purchase any US Roaming add-ons, because they misunderstood what the "Canada-wide and to the USA" talk option meant and thought it meant they could freely roam to the USA without needing anything else.  This comes up semi-regularly unfortunately.  I'm not sure why people make this assumption, but they do.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jessica_T

@pirateinuk wrote:

Were the funds removed from the account? Buying the addon is a 2 step process and often the money is still sitting as available funds. Did she buy the correct usa roaming package? She may have in error bought only the usa roaming text or usa roaming data add-on. Which did she buy and was her data/text working ok?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@pirateinuk wrote:

@pirateinukYou need a "roaming" add-on while you are in U.S.A. While you are in U.S.A services will only work with a U.S. Roaming Add-on which must be purchased separate and expire 10 days after purchase.

What U.S. Roaming Add-on do you have?

- Unlimited international Text means, while in Canada, you text TO International

- Unlimited talk TO Canada+US means while in Canada you call TO Canada and U.S.A

- "Unlimited Talk TO Canada and US" is not "Unlimited Talk FROM Canada and US"

Unless you purchased a U.S. roaming 10 day add-on and that was not working? We can help you with that, if that is the issue, but I think you/her may have confused the wording in the plan details.

U.S. Roaming Add-ons are enabled a soon as you buy them and automatically. With the US add-ons, you need to connect to the roaming partner networks (AT&T, T-Mobile) in order to use the service.  The Public Mobile network is only available in Canada.  All roaming usage involves being able to connect to a roaming partner's network. If data is purchased, roaming data needs to be enabled. Make sure you enable roaming on your phone. You need to make sure your phone has "ROAMING" settings turned to on.

In my experience when you click enable roaming on your phone, the phone gives you a warning. "ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS YOU MAY INCUR MASSIVE CHARGES."  Pretty sure all phones have roaming disabled by default for this reason.

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are not available if you're on a grandfathered $19 plan.

Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

Public mobile U.S. roaming add-on cost is very good, if used rarely. If you need a permanent plan that includes US Roaming, that’s not service public mobile has and if you spend a lot of time in U.S.A it might be better to shop around for a new carrier as the add-ons get expensive. Most carriers no longer have a "US Roaming / use your services from US/Canada" seamless plan. But they almost all offer some sort of expensive, short term roaming package.

Cityfone will give you seamless 500mins+Text+1GB $80 a month all in
Rogers U.S roaming $7 per day on top of your plan cost
Bell U.S roaming $6 per day on top of your plan cost
Koodo U.S. roaming $8 per day on top of your plan cost

Public mobile current U.S roaming packages
All expire after 10 days. Text/Talk is unlimited. Data is what you purchased.
Talk = $8
Text = $8
250MB = $10
Talk + Text = $15
500MB = $15
1GB = $20
Talk + Text + 250mb = $20

Need Help? Let's chat.