cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to call long distance with Phone.com

sarahbustin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My company uses an app called phone.com to allow employees to make long distance calls from their personal phones without incurring charges. This app worked for me with my previous phone provider, but since switching to public mobile I get a automated recording saying I do not have a long distance add on when I try to make any call — local or long distance. Is public mobile not compatible with apps like this? Is there a workaround besides paying for a long distance add on?

8 REPLIES 8

@Luddite wrote:

@sarahbustin PM does not restrict voip calling. But cellular data does need to be acyivated and part of your PM plan.

If you dial an access code for the service add +1 to the number.

See if there is a access via web browser.

VoIP calls would also work on Wi-Fi, but the part that is confusing me is the "app" part. If someone is dialing a local access number to access a company's long distance service, no app would be needed.  I do wonder if this is an internet calling app or simply a calling card-type service.

@sarahbustin wrote:

My company uses an app called phone.com to allow employees to make long distance calls from their personal phones without incurring charges. This app worked for me with my previous phone provider, but since switching to public mobile I get a automated recording saying I do not have a long distance add on when I try to make any call — local or long distance. Is public mobile not compatible with apps like this? Is there a workaround besides paying for a long distance add on?

This means that you're trying to call numbers that aren't included in your Public Mobile calling plan and that you're attempting to make these calls as regular phone calls. I suspect that you may be using the phone's stock dialer by mistake, or that your app is set to be the default dialer but has been accidently set to be used as the dialer for regular voice calls too. This isn't actually a Public Mobile issue, but rather with the app's settings.

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sarahbustin wrote:

phone.com utilizes data / wifi connection to place calls. without a data / wifi connection it wont work and it will use your regular Public Mobile minutes.

make sure your phone is connected to wifi / data for phone.com to work.

also make sure that the APN settings is correct for the Public Mobile data to work.

im using google voice to save on my Public Mobilie minutes. its free calling to US / Canada. I use it if im connected to wifi, which i am most of the time due to quarantine.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sarahbustin wrote:

@sarahbustin  Since you changed providers and you are now with Public you might have to re-verify you phone.com account/configuration. Some apps also have a build-in security feature that prevents your number from working for 48 hours when it detects a different provider to protect against sim-jacking.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sarahbustin 

@sarahbustin wrote:

Another voip provider that i really like is Fongo comes with many features including voice mail.They are Canadian, they have free app or paid. https://www.fongo.com/

Hope it helps.

BenjaminQC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I never tried this app, but sometimes I get this message if I try to make a call with *67 to hide the number. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@sarahbustin PM does not restrict voip calling. But cellular data does need to be acyivated and part of your PM plan.

If you dial an access code for the service add +1 to the number.

See if there is a access via web browser.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Did you connect using wifi or data when using the app ? Sounds like you were not using either but your phone. You could try other VoIP apps like WhatsApp,Textnow, Skype, or Google Hangouts.

Need Help? Let's chat.