cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 3 looses network access

ehb007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a brand new nokia 3 TA-1028 that was working fine untill I installed a system update about 2 days ago. Now it keeps loosing the ability to conect with Public mobile network. I'm not able to make phone calls, recieve texts or use my mobile data. I did a factory reset and that fixxed the problem until I powered off the phone and it lost conection again. Once again I did a factory reset and I'm back on the network but I dont want to have to do that every time I power down my phone or restart it. Any help would be great. If I cannot find a solution I guess I'll have to switch cell providers. 

39 REPLIES 39

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541  Are you sure abou that? Android phones have two images when you do a factory reset the phone goes back to the same state as when it left the factory. 

That doesn't happen. I am absolutely certain. Performing a factory reset on and Android device never changes the operating system version.

@computergeek541  Yes, you are correct. Downgrading would involve flashing the appropriate image. Thanks! But there is a difference doing factory reset from Settings app and doing it from fastboot menu (also called Wipe data/ factory reset).

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541  Are you sure abou that? Android phones have two images when you do a factory reset the phone goes back to the same state as when it left the factory. 

Factory reset well restore from the system partition which is untouched.  Otherwise why refer to it as factory reset.

@geopublic wrote:

That doesn't happen. I am absolutely certain. Performing a factory reset on an Android device never changes the operating system version.

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous  I'm running the latest Android with Android Security patch level June 5, 2019 and those settings are correct. Not sure what the OP is running but I'm assuming it's not the latest. When the OP resets his phone to factory defaults do you know what version he is running?Hopefully @ehb007  will post the settings after the update that Nokia is pushing on his phone.

I think I might get what you're saying. Are you saying that when he does a factory reset that he goes back to a prior OS version like what it was originally shipped with? I'm not so sure. But we'll wait to hear from him.

Yes.

Doing a factory reset would not revert the device back to a previous version of the operating system. That software is no longer on the phone.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous  I'm running the latest Android with Android Security patch level June 5, 2019 and those settings are correct. Not sure what the OP is running but I'm assuming it's not the latest. When the OP resets his phone to factory defaults do you know what version he is running?Hopefully @ehb007  will post the settings after the update that Nokia is pushing on his phone.

I think I might get what you're saying. Are you saying that when he does a factory reset that he goes back to a prior OS version like what it was originally shipped with? I'm not so sure. But we'll wait to hear from him.

Yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@ehb007 wrote:

Yes, that is after the factory reset. And the phone is back working. But if I power it off or restart it or remove/replace the sim card I'll have to do another factory reset. So its working but the problem is still there. 

@ehb007  Can you please post the current version that you phone is running after the factory reset.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ehb007 wrote:

I got it back up and it now the three fields are lte, lte, and lte/umts auto (prl)

That last one...is there a drop down list there? If so what are your options? The first lte won't work here. The second one should be fine. But that third one we may need to look at although it looks fine.

Are there even drop downs for the others...I'm not sure.

@Anonymous  Those settings are correct. The exactly what I have on my phone and I'm also running Pie. It will be interesting to see what the settings are after the update. @ehb007  If your phone takes the update please let us know.

@geopublic: What update? He's on 9. Seems to have been the root of the problem with that phone and that update.

ehb007

Yes, that is after the factory reset. And the phone is back working. But if I power it off or restart it or remove/replace the sim card I'll have to do another factory reset. So its working but the problem is still there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ehb007 wrote:

I got it back up and it now the three fields are lte, lte, and lte/umts auto (prl)

That last one...is there a drop down list there? If so what are your options? The first lte won't work here. The second one should be fine. But that third one we may need to look at although it looks fine.

@Anonymous  Those settings are correct. The exactly what I have on my phone and I'm also running Pie. It will be interesting to see what the settings are after the update. @ehb007  If your phone takes the update please let us know.

@geopublic: What update? He's on 9. Seems to have been the root of the problem with that phone and that update.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ehb007 wrote:

@ehb007 wrote:

@ehb007  Those are the correct settings. Is this after the factory reset? I'm assuming your phone is working now correct?

ehb007

Thanks but I have been able to get it working with a factrory reset. Unfortunately it will stop working whenever I power off the phone or restart it. Then I have to do another factory restart. Not ideal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ehb007 wrote:

ehb007

I dont know. I was hoping Nokia would help me with that but no luck with them so far.

ehb007

@ehb007 wrote:

Tried another factory reset and now even that doesnt work. No service at all. when I go to *#*#4636#*#* the three fields all say unknown. 

Try removing the sim, wait a minute, then replace sim. Long-shot, but why not.

ehb007

Tried another factory reset and now even that doesnt work. No service at all. when I go to *#*#4636#*#* the three fields all say unknown. 

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

can you go back to an earlier firmware?

@ehb007 wrote:

I contacted nokia butno help there until I can get another phone or sim card to test where the problem is.

Until you have a fix, you can also download a free app like TextNow to make free calls and texts. As long as you have a robust wifi signal, it works as good as a landline. There's other voip apps to use and I'm sure they're good too, but I've used TextNow and happy with it.

ClaudeR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't worry; you'll find some proper help here... 😉

ClaudeR

Nope   8.1.0

Then, maybe you found the problem...

ehb007

I contacted nokia butno help there until I can get another phone or sim card to test where the problem is.

ClaudeR

Checking with him now and BRB...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ClaudeR wrote:

Hello!

Could you please provide us with more details, so we could help you?

🙂

(I know someone having a Nokia 3 with PM and everything is fine; but you're away, then we have to look at something else...)

But is your friend on Android 9 (Pie)?

ClaudeR

Hello!

Could you please provide us with more details, so we could help you?

🙂

(I know someone having a Nokia 3 with PM and everything is fine; but you're away, then we have to look at something else...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ehb007 wrote:

I probably have it at home but Im on vacation.

A little googling found this. Maybe some things to look at. The last one requires being able to remove the battery. Some phones don't have an easily removable battery.

Let us know. You aren't the first and you won't likely be the last.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ehb007 wrote:

I have a brand new nokia 3 TA-1028 that was working fine untill I installed a system update about 2 days ago. Now it keeps loosing the ability to conect with Public mobile network. I'm not able to make phone calls, recieve texts or use my mobile data. I did a factory reset and that fixxed the problem until I powered off the phone and it lost conection again. Once again I did a factory reset and I'm back on the network but I dont want to have to do that every time I power down my phone or restart it. Any help would be great. If I cannot find a solution I guess I'll have to switch cell providers. 

@ehb007  From what you describe it appears that the update is causing the issue. Every time you reset your phone it installs the factory image on your phone and that is why it starts working again. The workaround would be to disable automatic updates on your phone until a fix is released by Nokia. I suspect that the update is changing one of the defaults or forcing your phone to use LTE. If you don't mind doing some troubleshooting do the following:

Without the update:

Dial *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Information. Take note of:

Voice Network

Data Network

Set Preferred Network

With the update to the same as above. Is anything different?

ehb007

I probably have it at home but Im on vacation.

Need Help? Let's chat.