cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

Nicole93
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi 

I activated my account  in store today and ported my number over and was told it would take two hours for it to port and my phone still says no service and it’s been about 4 hours. when I put in my other providers card it also says no service, so I’m in limbo right now. Tried rebooting it a few times now but nothing 

21 REPLIES 21

Rob_K

The SIM should work right away, the port may take 2 hours though.  When I got mine I was told by the store they do them so that if there's an issue they call and resolve it.  I would go back and ask them to fix the issue or try another SIM, that was suppose to be one of the things they make sure works before the customer leaves. 

@Nicole93 wrote:

My previous phone carrier was Koodo post paid  it’s an iPhone 6, unlocked I did the imei check and my phone is compatible on the network. In store the merchant was having trouble getting the sim the register so he called public with the issue they told him it sometimes takes up to two hours for the sim to register it’s been 24 hours now

I really sure hope that's not what the person at the store was told.  I'm just not sure if that person is who got the brush off or it was the person at the store doing it.

@Nicole93 wrote:

Yeah No response yet though

Patience..waiting time is few hours to 2 days...some of them are working today...Smiley Frustrated

Nicole93

Yeah No response yet though

@Nicole93 wrote:

Yes I did try it on the other phone when I put the sim from my husbands phone in mine it works perfectly when I put my sim in his phone it says no service 

It's a problem with your SIm card...or his activation...you will need help from the moderator...already written I read?

Nicole93

Yes I did try it on the other phone when I put the sim from my husbands phone in mine it works perfectly when I put my sim in his phone it says no service 

Nicole93

Merchants can they have some dealer number I guess

@Nicole93 wrote:

Yes he did I did three phones the other two went through no problem, the third came was giving him issues so he called them and they said the account was created successfully it might take up to two hours for the sim to start working 

Did you try YOUR sim in an another phone? What happened?

@Nicole93 wrote:

Yes he did I did three phones the other two went through no problem, the third came was giving him issues so he called them and they said the account was created successfully it might take up to two hours for the sim to start working 

I never read that someone can call public mobile....???

Nicole93

@Nicole93 wrote:

My previous phone carrier was Koodo post paid  it’s an iPhone 6, unlocked I did the imei check and my phone is compatible on the network. In store the merchant was having trouble getting the sim the register so he called public with the issue they told him it sometimes takes up to two hours for the sim to register it’s been 24 hours now

So did the representatvie activate your SIM or not?

Nicole93

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rob_K wrote:

Is yiour phone carrier unlocked? Do you know someone with an unlcoked phone you can try the SIM card with? That will tell if it's the phone or the service/SIM.

Yes, either this, or incompatible as @computergeek541 suggested.

@Nicole93 what is your phone's brand and model?  Do you see any messages like "SIM not supported" or "Emergeny calls only" or something along those lines?  What exactly does it say?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rob_K

Is your phone carrier unlocked? Do you know someone with an unlocked phone you can try the SIM card with? That will tell if it's the phone or the service/SIM.

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nicole93 wrote:

@Alex888 can’t access my account due to not being able to receive the text to activate it. I will reach out to the moderator thanks for providing the link to them!

Heads up, you will likely have to wait til Monday for a response.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

After activation, you should be able to get service from Public Mobile right away. It's only the call/text receiving that may take a couple hours due to porting. Maybe your sim card is defective?

@Nicole93 wrote:

Hi 

I activated my account  in store today and ported my number over and was told it would take two hours for it to port and my phone still says no service and it’s been about 4 hours. when I put in my other providers card it also says no service, so I’m in limbo right now. Tried rebooting it a few times now but nothing 

The service should have started working right away, not 2 hours later. 

The person at the store really meant the number porting should be coumpleted in a couple of hours.  That's when incoming calls, and incoming text messgages from other carriers will start working. The actual network connections, outgoing calls, ougoing texting messages, incoming text messages originating from within Telus, and data should have all started working immediately.

Was your old carrier's service still active when you requested the phone number transfer?  If it was, this means that the the old carrier has already released the phone number to Public Mobile.

Since your phone is saying no service, this could mean that the phone is incompatible, or that a 2g network might be accidently selected.  Which carrier are you coming from?

It's also possible that Public Mobile's activation system messed up and somehow managed to port the phone number in but not properly activate your account.

If your phone is indeed compatible and the correct network type settings selected,  you're may need to contact customer service to get this fixed.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Before contacting them, try first restarting/rebooting your phone. This can be especially helpful if you inserted the sim card into the phone before actually activating it.

@Alex888 wrote:
@Nicole93You may need to create an account, you can go to My Account at the top of the page. Sometimes when you sign up in-store they don't create a user account.

While it is true that customer may need to create a self-service account, that isn't going to get the service working.  In addition, that can't be done without first receiving the text messages with the auto-generated account PIN.

@Nicole93 You may need to create an account, you can go to My Account at the top of the page. Sometimes when you sign up in-store they don't create a user account.

Nicole93

@Alex888 can’t access my account due to not being able to receive the text to activate it. I will reach out to the moderator thanks for providing the link to them!

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Nicole93  Try looking at your account online and make sure it says Active. If it does, near the top there is a link to report your phone as lost/stolen, click that, then log out, wait 5 minutes, log back in and report it found, then restart your phone. Also, make sure your phone is not in Airplane or Do Not Disturb mode.

If it's still not working there was probably an issue with the port and you will need to contact a moderator, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.