cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service on my phone

MYPUBLICMOBILE
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just activated my Sim and bought a plan and there is no service on my phone. Any that can help?

24 REPLIES 24

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Thanks, I will try it for sure.

If you try it with Rogers, it will stop working after Dec 31, 2021 as per the notice from Rogers...

https://bsav.ca/important-notice-regarding-upcoming-2g-3g-changes-on-the-rogers-network/

Plus Rogers costs more than Public Mobile.. Best to get another phone.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

Sorry but 2G especially is being phased out around the world making many millions of phones incompatible not just here. There are cheapet phones out there but this phone is more than half off and you cant get a used one here for anywhere near that price. U$119=$180 cdn duties + tax incl.

MYPUBLICMOBILE

Thanks, I will try it for sure.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

Have a look at the link i supplied for the moto g7+......this is the statement from Rogers....

We're phasing out legacy technologies to evolve our wireless network and bring Canadians next generation technology. After March 31, 2021 we will no longer offer 1900 MHz on our 2G and 3G networks. This means 2G and 3G IoT devices using 1900 MHz will not work after this date.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

Is this your phone?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009489724413.html

If so....

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz
Network type: GSM,WCDMA

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

You will have to use sim slot 1 as its probably the one that supports 3G. 

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

Sorry it's not compatible with any provider in Canada. Not sure if Rogers/Fido still have their 2g network but it would work on that.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/cubot-j5 

Screenshot_20210120_094304.jpg

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

I think you can get some limited voice calling by putting your settings in 3G only. This will depend on connecting to towers that have the 850 and 1900 bands.

Edit: Can you text?

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Cubot J5 has 3G and 2G features-dual SIM.

From my research earlier, your phone probably is not compatible with PM.  You can search for your specific phone.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). 
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).  

3G = 850 (5), 1900 (2)

4G = 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 (12/13/17/29), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7), 1700/2100 (66)

MYPUBLICMOBILE

Cubot J5 has 3G and 2G features-dual SIM.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

What is the exact model of your phone? In your settings does it only have 2G? Or does it have 3G as well?

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

I just bought this phone in december and I am super happy with it....its back on sale and a wicked deal. Works out to $180 cdn delivered.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

It only has has 3G HSDPA 850/1900 and 2G . There are no refunds. You should seriously consider getting a new phone. You will have limited 2G service with rogers/fido/chatr until rogers shuts down their 2G network likely by the end if this year.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Since I can't use my phone, how can I cancel my plan and get a refund?

@MYPUBLICMOBILE You can always remove your auto pay if you had set it up and contact a moderator by clicking the chat bubble below. This service is prepaid though so they are under no obligation to refund you. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

The brutal answer is that you can't. This is a bring your own device provider. It's up to you to know if it'll work. But there's never any harm in asking the moderators. Can you find some cheap local phone? Even a new <100 from like Staples.

MYPUBLICMOBILE

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Glo Mobile from Nigeria. It is unlocked.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE hi I don't believe it will work here 

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

It looks like your phone is not compatible with Public mobile. See website:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-cubot-j5

Actually, only compatible with Rogers/Fido on their 2G network (which Rogers is planning to phase out anyways)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty obscure. From what I can find, it's not compatible for voice. Got a link to the manufacturer specs?

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Yes, my card was charged. I can access a self-service account. I didn't port my number, it was a new number activation. When I put the Sim in the phone there is no signal and I have rebooted several times still no show. No PM icon or Signal. My phone model is Cubot J5.

@MYPUBLICMOBILE I don't think that will work here. It doesn't appear to have the necessary 3G frequencies need for voice.Where were you using it before here?

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.29.19 PM.png

MYPUBLICMOBILE

Glo Mobile from Nigeria. It is unlocked.

MYPUBLICMOBILE

Yes, my card was charged. I can access a self-service account. I didn't port my number, it was a new number activation. When I put the Sim in the phone there is no signal and I have rebooted several times still no show. No PM icon or Signal. My phone model is Cubot J5.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MYPUBLICMOBILE wrote:

Just activated my Sim and bought a plan and there is no service on my phone. Any that can help?

@MYPUBLICMOBILE hi is your phone unlocked? who was your previous provider?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@MYPUBLICMOBILE 

More details would be helpful. 

Was your credit card charged? Are you able to access your self service account?  

Did you port your number or activate a new number?

What happens when you put the SIM card in the phone?  Any PM icon/signal?

Which model phone?  

Maybe try to reboot phone with PM Sim card

Need Help? Let's chat.