cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service after transferring from Telus

masonduke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Went through the activation process yesterday when I received my new SIM.  I ported my number through telus via the activation, and when I hit submit, there was an error message... something like generic error.  My CC was charged, so I contacted the mods who stated that the port did not yet go through, and to wait.  Meanwhile my Telus SIM was still working.

This morning, I received an e-mail saying "sorry to see you go" from Telus, therefore I would assume the port is done.  However, now I have no service on my PM SIM.  Just says SIM not registered.  Cant do anything with my phone.

I have a Samsung S9, and it is verified to be unlocked.

My account on PM states it is active.  I already tried the troubleshooting (lost/stolen phone, adding $1.00, restarting phone, etc).

The SIM doesn't work in my wife's unlocked phone either.  What could be the issue here?  Is this common?  I thought it was supposed to be an easy process to switch over to PM.  

10 REPLIES 10

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@masonduke  great to hear things worked out. 

I am however hesitant to believe the mod reply re the shared database. This is only true to my knowledge for Koodo prepaid and PC mobile prepaid customers.  And when this Is the case the number is ineligible to transfer without the mod help.

It's the initial error during activation that  caused the issue. Not a shared database.

Welcome to pm

masonduke

Thanks everyone for your advice.  Just to close the loop, this ended up being a transfer issue, I was explained that sometimes when Telus numbers are ported, they get stuck because they share the same database as PM.  The only solution was to have the mods look into it and fix it, and after a couple hours everything was working.

They explained this happens randomly, but now I know when someone gets that "generic error" when trying to activate and pay, they might as well just go straight to the mods as nothing else will fix.

Just ported my wifes number over this morning, also from Telus, and it worked within 20 seconds, no issue.  Strange!

Just glad we are all good now.  Have a nice weekend everyone!

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@masonduke There was recently a major network wide Telus outage. Something couldve affected your port while that was happening. Try to contact the moderators.

masonduke

Yes tried all that, no dice 😞

@masonduke have you reset your network settings?

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
4. Restart

• enable/disable airplane mode
  • enable/disable lost/stolen mode in your self serve account

masonduke

Thanks. Yes I agree something went wrong upon activation I think. I have a message in with the mods.. hoping they respond soon as I’m now without a phone I can use. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@masonduke  my gut says it's an activation issue, which only mods can fix ie sim # was not registered properly.

Did you try manually selrvting the public mobile network?

I had a similar experience with shaw mobile last week where sim would not connect , I was told it was incompable phones, eventually had to get a new simcard assigned and then all was fine.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@masonduke try a network reset and restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. 

Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ - Reset Network Settings
  1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen. These instructions only apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.
  2. Navigate: Settings. ...
  3. Tap Reset network settings.
  4. Review the info then tap Reset Settings. ...
  5. To confirm, review the info then tap Reset.

If this fails, contact the moderators and ask them to reset your service for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. Welcometo PM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@masonduke 

The safest thing to do would be to contact the moderators again.

In the meantime, check the last 4 digits in your account under Change SIM. Unfortunately you can only see the last 4 digits. Match that with your actual physical SIM card.

A risky idea might be to re-type in your SIM in this Change SIM screen. But that might burn the SIM you have.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@masonduke @Hi it is supposed to be easy you may need to contact a moderator click on the ? Bottom right corner ask to speak to a human this will help generate a ticket response time is 2 to 48 hours check for a reply top right corner in the envelope

Need Help? Let's chat.