cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming texts!

umaric
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi @Mary_M@Shazia_K

I just singed up for the $20 unlimited province-wide calling plan for my son. First of all, I was shocked to find out that it doesn't include texting. But then I said to my self, it's ok, he doesn't need texting. But then I was further shocked to find out that he cannot even receive incoming texts! That's unbelievable. Is it possible for PM to enable incoming texts for him? Nearly all websites/email services require you to confirm your credentials via a code which they send to you through a text message. It's OK to block outgoing texts, but blocking incoming texts is beyond comprehension.

Regards,

Umar

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@umaric wrote:

I'm just saying that even with the talk only plan, one should be able to receive incmoing texts. Chatr's $20 talk only plan includes incmong texts. I've never seen any pre-paid plan (well, until now) which doesn't include incoming texts. Outgoing texts are usually pay per use, but incoming texts are always included. A plethora of sites need to verify your phone number by sending you a code through text. So in this case, it's impossible to use your phone with those sites/services.

@umaric totally understand the need.  If you need that, then you need to subscribe to a plan that includes a texting option at Public Mobile.  There are no (zero) pay-per-use options at Public Mobile--it's a-la-carte.  You pay for what you get and you get what you pay for, nothing more in either direction.  If the plan included incoming texts, it would be listed.  The plan you selected makes no mention of it.  I understand experience at other providers might have lead you to assume there was pay-per-use for services not included in your plan, but that assumption is not correct here unfortunately.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@umaric,

I'm sorry, but at Public Mobile, if you need to receive texts, you need to subscribe to a text plan.  That's just how it works.

If you need this badly enough, you'll get an app such as TextNow from the play store (it's free by add support), and that app will work for what you're asking for (as long as there's a data connection).

Oh wait... you're out of luck there too.j  Except on WiFi.

umaric

Thank you for replying. As I said, I don't need to text but just need to receive incoming texts. A plethora of sites need to verify your phone number by sending you a code through text. So in this case, it's impossible to use your phone with those sites/services.

@stonechucker wrote:

@umaric, If you selected the 'pre-made' talk only plan, that is exactly what you get.  Talk-Only.

If you're going the route of asking the moderators to change the $20 to $25 dollar plan, please top up $5 to the account so it is waiting in available balance when they contact you.

umaric

Thank you for replying. As I said, I don't need to text but just need to receive incoming texts. A plethora of sites need to verify your phone number by sending you a code through text. So in this case, it's impossible to use your phone with those sites/services.

@KMG wrote:

I would recommend switching to the $25 plan that includes unlimited calling and texting.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/25unlimitedtalk-text

Given that you just signed up, you can contact the Moderator Team and ask them to switch the plan without losing the $20 you have already paid.  They are usually pretty understanding when it comes to changes for new customers.  Send them a private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

umaric

You don't need to be rude. I'm not talking about the texting option. I'm just saying that even with the talk only plan, one should be able to receive incmoing texts. Chatr's $20 talk only plan includes incmong texts. I've never seen any pre-paid plan (well, until now) which doesn't include incoming texts. Outgoing texts are usually pay per use, but incoming texts are always included. A plethora of sites need to verify your phone number by sending you a code through text. So in this case, it's impossible to use your phone with those sites/services.

@will13am wrote:

I don't understand what the problem is here.  A service is not purchased but should be an entitlement anyway.  I have a data only service with the dog brand.  I had to block SMS because even an incoming SMS costs money.  You get what you pay for. 

@umaric, If you selected the 'pre-made' talk only plan, that is exactly what you get.  Talk-Only.

If you're going the route of asking the moderators to change the $20 to $25 dollar plan, please top up $5 to the account so it is waiting in available balance when they contact you.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would recommend switching to the $25 plan that includes unlimited calling and texting.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/25unlimitedtalk-text

Given that you just signed up, you can contact the Moderator Team and ask them to switch the plan without losing the $20 you have already paid.  They are usually pretty understanding when it comes to changes for new customers.  Send them a private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I don't understand what the problem is here.  A service is not purchased but should be an entitlement anyway.  I have a data only service with the dog brand.  I had to block SMS because even an incoming SMS costs money.  You get what you pay for. 

Need Help? Let's chat.