cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data or incoming calls samsung s7 edge

Won12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Help me. Had a kiosk guy install and migrate my number from another carrier. I can make calls out,  incoming callers get message not in service, no texts working. Can anyone walk me through this?

20 REPLIES 20

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Won12 great! They'll write back to your private inbox (the envelope top rightish of these forums).

They work for Public Mobile the forums are just customer's like you.

Hope you get sorted out soon!

Won12

I am waiting on them. Thanks

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Won12 best to get in contact with moderators so they can investigate the issue.

Simon.JPG

Or private message them at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Won12

I called my number myself, it says "this number is not set up for incoming calls."

@Won12 

Oh well....the salesperson could have done everything right and your port could still go sideways. You would still be basically in the same position except the salesperson would have told you to go to the community to find out how to contact a moderator. Submit your ticket and if having all your services working is of the essence just make sure you check your private messages on a regular basis starting at 8am eastern.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@popping wrote:

@mm80 wrote:

@Won12 wrote:

No, not at all. Kiosk guy only called his store number to see if the phone worked. I've never done this before, didn't realize nothing else worked until it was too late

Kiosk guy needs to be retrained. Doing an outgoing call doesn't test if number porting is finished. And it takes about 2 to 3 hours sometimes. He should know better.

The kiosk guy may not have any training. lol

No kidding. That's very basic. Let's not go overboard. It was an error, but a very bad error.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mm80 wrote:

@Won12 wrote:

No, not at all. Kiosk guy only called his store number to see if the phone worked. I've never done this before, didn't realize nothing else worked until it was too late

Kiosk guy needs to be retrained. Doing an outgoing call doesn't test if number porting is finished. And it takes about 2 to 3 hours sometimes. He should know better.

The kiosk guy may not have any training. lol

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Won12 wrote:

Won12

Darn it. I feel so foolish. I was having an anxiety attack from wearing a mandatory face mask. 

Won12

Won12

Everything matches up. 

@Won12 

I agree with @computergeek541  the few times I have used a retail location to do an activation and port they made sure I had all services working before I left by calling my number and asking me to access my self serve account via mobile data before I left. (This being London drugs who I have nothing but high praise for regarding my own experience with them.)

If you do not have text messaging and two hours has past since activation and porting and you don't have incoming calling you need to contact the moderators. Your port is likely stuck and you may have a sim card provisioning issue. Only the moderators can fix this. Expect a message from them in the morning once you have submitted your service request ticket. If you had porting protection on your old account make sure you have removed it.

Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. The current wait time is 2 to 4 hours up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Yours will be considered a priority issue.

@Won12 wrote:

It was, but the kiosk guy threw the old one away, he said when he requested to migrate my number, the old sim card would no longer work. 

How can someone at a cell phone service kiosk not know that number porting isn't instant. They should never throw your sim card out. If I were you, I would go back and demand that the person replace the sim card for you (and attach that to your old carrier's account). Until number porting is complete (which usually takes a few hours), you still need the old sim card because that's where your incoming calls and text messages go to. And if something has gone wrong with the porting, it could actually take a few days to sort things out. The was an extremely silly and unprofessional thing for the saleperson to do.  While I realize that you said that calling your number results in an out-of-service message (when it shouldn't), trying your old carrier's SIM is an important troubleshooting step.

popping

@Won12 wrote:

It was, but the kiosk guy threw the old one away, he said when he requested to migrate my number, the old sim card would no longer work. 

Porting a number involved with two companies.  They are not instance.  Now you know that you old SIM card is still good until you new SIM is working.  From now one, don't let anyone tell you any other answer.

Is you data working?

Won12

I did the reset, no change. I can call out, my correct number comes up on call display.  Cannot receive calls. Texts won't send or receive. 

Won12

popping

@Won12 

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is from couple of hours to couple of days. https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

@Won12 

If above suggestions don't work, try a network reset of the phone.

You can also try putting the PM Sim card in another working phone.  Helps determine whether hardware set up issue versus PM service problem.   

@Won12 

Was your account with your previous provider active when you made your port request? Put your old sim card in...does it still work?

@Won12 wrote:

Help me. Had a kiosk guy install and migrate my number from another carrier. I can make calls out,  incoming callers get message not in service, no texts working. Can anyone walk me through this?

Data and outoing text messaging, should work right away, along with the outgoing phone calls that are already working.  Restart your phone. For text messaging, see if your SMSC is set to +16475800172. For data, see if the APN settings are set corrrectly. Look her for details: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

The not in service message could indicate a provisioning issue. If the port isn't complete, the calls should be going to the old carrier still (shouldn't be hearing a not in service message). Sometimes, issues such as this are temporary and fix itself after a bit of time.

Need Help? Let's chat.