cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data. Apple support says cell provider problem. Cannot get help.

Kathieknox
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So on weekend I could not make local calls. Finally after hours on phone someone at Telus added long distance minutes and then I could make local calls. But now I have no data. 2 hours on phone with Telus. They say problem with iphone’s software or the phone. High level Apple support says it must be cell provider. When I go to settings and the click on roaming and then the LTE toggle there are supposed to be 3 choices that pop up. I have none. 

Am so frustrated as this has been hours on phone and no solution. Another small thing...no matter how many times I change my region to Ontario it always comes back at BC. But that’s the least of my worries. 

Had an email from

moderator and there message was to let them know if I needed more minutes but they do not reply to that email either. Help!

18 REPLIES 18

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Kathieknox

thank you for taking the time to write back to us! 

Mary here, we had spoken a few weeks ago regarding a data problem that you have been experiencing. I can firstly re-assure you that your data is completely functional on our end. The reason why we ask you to try out these steps is for troubleshooting - this is required to find the root of the issue, and without the answers, there won't be a way for us to figure out the problem. Now, regarding your data (as iMessage functional is dependent on data), have you tried what we suggested? If so, please view my private message as I'll need more details.

I'm going to do my best to help you.

Regards,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Kathieknox

Please help!

Moderators have not been helpful. One week to answer and then...They just tell me to do a few things and fail to realize that I have already tried all of those fixes.

And now a couple of people are not getting my texts. Apple support had had me turn on data and wifi and turn off iMessage as seems to be with two people that have iMessage. We have checked all of their settings and all of mine. Apple thought was fixed today as finally was able to send texts and not be stuck with a message that says can’t send iMessage after long time on phone with them. But now one friend did not get two of my texts today. This is getting too upsetting. Is this a problem with public mobile or my phone?? If public mobile the. I am switching carriers. But if I switch carriers and it still happens that people don’t get my texts then that will be dreadful. 

Kathieknox

Did not move over from another carrier. 

Kathieknox

Thanks for reaching out. 

My phone has been working well since March so I’m not sure why all of a sudden it stopped working. Public mobile said it was a problem “on their back end” and were trying to fix it.  That was a week ago. 

Seems to be working today but I’m not feeling confident after 3 fails this week. Thanks again 

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your data won't work unless you enter the Public Mobile APN info. Most people coming from post paid carriers don't realize that buying a phone from carrier the APN setting are already done. When you bring your phone to a carrier who doesn't sell phones you won't have their APN settings because it's not a phone sold by them.  I bought an unlocked galaxy and had to manually enter the APN settings.  

Kathieknox

Hi again. I tried to see if I could navigate that site you sent me...

under APN settings I noticed that I hand an “i” in front of the first set of letters. 

Then the instructions say to go to MMS to change. I am not sure where that is ...sorry rather challenged technologically 

Kathieknox

PS do you think I should try the website you mentioned and try to reset the APN rather than the unlockit.co.nz?

i just managed to get onto it using the link you provided (the pm moderator’s link did not work). 

It looks a bit more confusing to me in terms of what to click on ...3 g 4G, LTE ...etc. 

Kathieknox

Yes thanks so much for your help

I wasn’t able to access that site but I did use unlockit.co.nz and reset the APN (not sure why things changed as I have not changed anything and not travelled outside of the city). I also did a network reset and power on/off of phone and removed and reinserted the SIM. All seem to have been only temporary fixes and the issue has resurfaced 3x. 

@srlawren wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Kathieknox, I am totally confused by your post.  This is the Public Mobile brand.  What does this have to do with Telus?  As far as account management goes, this is primarily an online DIY service.  If you need to make account changes, you do it yourself.  The moderator team is engaged if something goes wrong with the account. 

This is the thrid time In the last couple days that people have said that Telus were able to help.

@krazykiwi I guess I somehow missed those other posts.  This is incredible to me.  How on Earth are people calling Telus and getting support?  I could see if it you went through the moderators and they logged a ticket with Telus support on your behalf--I actually had that happen once.  I complained that the automated alert SMS messages from TransLink (Vancouver-area transit company) were being delayed by a large amount of time and were esentially usesless once received due to being outdated.  I got a call a couple of days later from a Telus tech that explained the filtering they had in place to prevent mass messages from flooding the system, and that he had adjusted the threshhold for TransLink's gateway.  That was pretty cool. But I've never known anyone to just call up Telus and get support.  Interesting.

That's good you were able to get the Vancouver Transit alert sorted.

I surprised that the Telus support staff actually help...guess they feel some kind of resposibility....maybe!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@krazykiwi wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Kathieknox, I am totally confused by your post.  This is the Public Mobile brand.  What does this have to do with Telus?  As far as account management goes, this is primarily an online DIY service.  If you need to make account changes, you do it yourself.  The moderator team is engaged if something goes wrong with the account. 

This is the thrid time In the last couple days that people have said that Telus were able to help.

@krazykiwi I guess I somehow missed those other posts.  This is incredible to me.  How on Earth are people calling Telus and getting support?  I could see if it you went through the moderators and they logged a ticket with Telus support on your behalf--I actually had that happen once.  I complained that the automated alert SMS messages from TransLink (Vancouver-area transit company) were being delayed by a large amount of time and were esentially usesless once received due to being outdated.  I got a call a couple of days later from a Telus tech that explained the filtering they had in place to prevent mass messages from flooding the system, and that he had adjusted the threshhold for TransLink's gateway.  That was pretty cool. But I've never known anyone to just call up Telus and get support.  Interesting.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am wrote:

@Kathieknox wrote:

Thanks ever so much. I will have a look at what you have posted. Many thanks. Hoping it helps. Odd though that no one has mentioned that. Ever hopeful! I’m on the phone on hold with Telus technical support and they are trying to reach a public mobile person. Bless them!

Look under General settings, to see if you have some weird looking account profile?

EDIT: There is suppose to be either "Profiles and device management" or just "Profiles" under setting general.

Kathieknox

Thanks ever so much. I will have a look at what you have posted. Many thanks. Hoping it helps. Odd though that no one has mentioned that. Ever hopeful! I’m on the phone on hold with Telus technical support and they are trying to reach a public mobile person. Bless them!

Kathieknox

I contacted Telus because someone in the public mobile community here  kindly suggested that I do that because Telus owns Public Mobile. 

You may have misunderstood my scrambled message...this is not an account problem. And so I cannot later it in the DIY manner you’re mentioning.  Acording to the moderator that replied to me, It is a problem “on the back end” of Public Mobile. His message said to let him know if I needed further help. I have messaged back a few times and there has been no reply. Telus spent over an hour trying to sort out and apparently contacting their technical support team. They say it is a problem with Apple. High level Apple support says it is a service provider issue. Under settings you click on cellular and then click mom roaming and then you click on enable LTE. When you click on LTE there should be 3 choices that pop up. None pop up in my case. 

Is there another way to get to a moderator more directly. This is ongoing since the weekend. 

Thanks. 

Not sure whether this will help.  Another person with an iphone had issues connecting to data also and had to delete a cellular profile or something.  I found it under General Settings and deleted it.  Once gone i was connected without issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Cannot-connect-to-cellular-data-servi...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Kathieknox wrote:

So on weekend I could not make local calls. Finally after hours on phone someone at Telus added long distance minutes and then I could make local calls. But now I have no data. 2 hours on phone with Telus. They say problem with iphone’s software or the phone. High level Apple support says it must be cell provider. When I go to settings and the click on roaming and then the LTE toggle there are supposed to be 3 choices that pop up. I have none. 

Am so frustrated as this has been hours on phone and no solution. Another small thing...no matter how many times I change my region to Ontario it always comes back at BC. But that’s the least of my worries. 

Had an email from

moderator and there message was to let them know if I needed more minutes but they do not reply to that email either. Help!

Wow, lots of things going on there.

Do you know if you happened to have updated to the latest IOS when this started occurring?

I have the latest on my iphone 6, under "celluar data options" I have the coice to 

- Enable LTE or not

- Data Roaming on or not.

When I select "Enable LTE" there are no more options, it is either on or not. I tried it on and off and it really doesn't matter where I am, but I leave it on anyways.

When you say "change my region" are you talking about Time Zone under "Date and Time"?

If this is wrong it will cause troubles.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Kathieknox

Have you checked the APN settings for your phone?

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

Maybe also try a network reset if APN settings advice does not work.  

Need Help? Let's chat.