cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cell service at home. Is there a way to create an account using email?

armstrong123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an activated Public Mobile phone. All is fine, great service, but I wanted to add some extra data. The problem is there is no cell service at my home to receive the verification text message to create an account. I assumed I already had an account, but apparently I also need to create an online account?

Is there a way to create an account by using email only? its a long way back to town where there is cell service to receive the text.

13 REPLIES 13

@darlicious @Anonymous On the current $15 plan, all types of call forwarding (conditional or unconditional) do not consume minutes. I've personally tested this. It's a great plan while I'm stuck at home with access to other lines for outgoing calls.

I can't directly speak for the "older" $10 or $15 plan, but it would make sense for conditional forwards to NOT consume minutes to support sending incoming calls to voicemail. You can work with that by setting conditional call forwards to alternate numbers instead of using unconditional forwarding.

Factoid: Lucky mobile does not support modifying any of the call forward settings. +1 for Public Mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

1. The $15 plan has free incoming calling and 100 outgoing minutes. By call forwarding to your home number you will be using outgoing minutes for incoming calls.

Conditional call forwarding doesn't consume minutes. The call forward all does (at least for the $10 plan). @Nezgar might have something to say about the $15 plan.

@armstrong123  You should weigh your options before you choose to purchase the data add ons and what kind of usage you need.

1. The $15 plan has free incoming calling and 100 outgoing minutes. By call forwarding to your home number you will be using outgoing minutes for incoming calls.
  2. You can purchase the $5/500 min calling add on that will roll over each month until completely used and will ensure you won't miss a call if you use all your outgoing minutes when call forwarding.
  3. How many outgoing minutes have you used already halfway thru your plan? You have used most of your data. Adding both of these would increase your 30 day cost to $30.
  4. Changing to the $25 plan gives you unlimited calling and 1gb of data. You could change now (immediately) and use it for the next 30 days or change on next renewal (in two weeks.)
  5. Changing on next renewal means you will still need the $10/200mb add on making the 30 day plan at least $25.
  6. Changing your plan immediately once you run out of plan data to the $25 is probably the most economical choice as it more than doubles your data and gives you unlimited minutes for the same price as the add on and the $15 plan.

@AE_Collector  suggestions make the most sense and if you really don't need the additional minutes and data and want to save $10 on your service you can schedule it to change on the next renewal back to the $15 plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

Presumably you can do all this on 611 on the cell phone when you get service again.

AE_Collector.

No changing plans in 611.

Or just switch plans immediately (next time you’re out and may want data if your data has now hit zero) to the $25 plan which will run for 30 days giving you 1 Gb of data. You will lose the value of the remaining days for call and text on the $15 plan though. If you think you will be good back to the $15 plan after the 30 days on $25 plan you can schedule a change back to the $25 plan to happen at renewal time anytime during the 30 day $25 plan. Presumably you can do all this on 611 on the cell phone when you get service again.

AE_Collector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@armstrong123 

The 200MB add-on = $50 per GB. The $30 add-on = $30 per GB.

I would suggest the $30 one. It may hang around for a while depending on your usage but at least you only pay for it once. And it's there as your cushion for when you go over the 250MB.

@armstrong123 wrote:

I activated March 7 2020. $15 plan includes 250mb data, 30 days. just ran out and wanted to add 200mb to get me through. 

If you think that you might end up doing this regularly, it may be worth considering chanigng to the $25 plan for the next renewal. 

armstrong123

i was on Telus previous to this and changed to public due to wanting to save money. I use the call forward not reachable so my phone automatically forwards to my home phone when i get home. So the service Public is offering is great. just the small issue with cell service out where i live.

armstrong123

I activated March 7 2020. $15 plan includes 250mb data, 30 days. just ran out and wanted to add 200mb to get me through. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@armstrong123 wrote:

I created a community account to check what happens if I'm over my data limit. I didn't realize I had to create another account for data purchase, but no problem, ill wait till I'm in town again to receive the text.

Thanks for your help.

So, obviously you're on autopay which means you have a payment card on file here. You can use the 611 service to buy add-ons.

armstrong123

I created a community account to check what happens if I'm over my data limit. I didn't realize I had to create another account for data purchase, but no problem, ill wait till I'm in town again to receive the text.

Thanks for your help.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@armstrong123 , the verification is as you see it.  No workaround unfortunately.  How far are you from the nearest tower so that you can have a signal?  It would seem this service might not work well for you considering you cannot get reception at home.  

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

So while you have an account here in the community, you have never created a Self Serve account on Public Mobile? You have never checked anything to do with your accounts or rewards online? If you DO have that you’re all set to log in there and purchase whatever add on you want. It was so long ago that I created my Self Serve  account I can’t remember what was needed! 

As for purchasing more data do you mean you need a bit more to get you through this current 30 or 90 day plan or you want to change plans to one that includes more ongoing data? What plan are you currently on ... $, included Gb and number of days in your plan? Buying a data add on on its own isn’t cheap! If you were a customer at the end of last August PM gave everyone a 1Gb data add on. Then in December another 1 Gb add on was available though you had to log in and accept it or lose it. Sometimes doing a plan change even just for a month is a better way to get more data. Lots of variables!

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.