cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No WiFi service

BookerG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No publicmobile wifi detected or connected.

30 REPLIES 30

BookerG

Hi. I found another problem which I have corrected. I had 2 sim cards for different networks and they were conflicting with each other. The other one kept overriding public mobile. I deactivated that network service and removed that card. I realized this because there were attempts to send texts to me and I was not getting them. So after removing that other card I then got those texts. Now I have only one network on my phone. Thank you all for your help. I could not have done this without it.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LaOmbra the title of this thread is misleading; the OP was confused and was actually referring to their cellular/mobile data.  It's been sorted out now.

LaOmbra

@slash407 wrote:

u need the apn settings for it, if u google it, u'll know what im talking about

ur wrong; apn settings have no affect on wifi.

@BookerG , don't select GSM only.

Just leave it on auto LTE/WCDMA/GSM.

PM only uses WCDMA and LTE.

Voice calls are only on WCDMA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BookerG wrote:

My plan is: 

$45
30-days
3G

6 GB Data at 3G speed⁴
+ BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging
VOICEMAIL & Call Display

Ok. So..after changing to LTE or something and with data mode on and wifi off...open a browser and see if you can get somewhere.

BookerG

My plan is: 

$45
30-days
3G

6 GB Data at 3G speed⁴
+ BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging
VOICEMAIL & Call Display

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BookerG wrote:

Thank you. If not GSM which is best?

Just about anything but. Telus/Public Mobile don't do GSM.

How'd you make out with the coverage in your area?

When set to LTE, you might see fewer bars. When a call comes in, it switches to "3G" and then you'll probably see all kinds of bars.

What plan are you on by the way?

LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto (PRL) or similar on your phone.

BookerG

Thank you. If not GSM which is best?

BookerG

My status is active. I am using Samsung Galaxie J415G (J4+). Data is enabled.

Data usage is 0. I have not received texts and/or phone calls yet because I given my number

out yet.

Pizzaeh

@BookerG wrote:

I am trying to find the answers right now. thank you.

No rush, take your time.  There are a lot of people that post bits and pieces of information, and we never hear from them again.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BookerG wrote:

Yes thank you. That was my confusion. I researched the difference between the two. I have set my phone to GSM because I was always seeing out of range when I had it at LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I have not yet tried it again today. I have data turned on now and also roaming. Do I need roaming on? Do you think I have it right now?

Not GSM. As mentioned no need for roaming to be on outside the states.

If you look to the bottom of this page you'll see a link to Coverage Maps. Find yourself there and see how well covered the Telus/Public Mobile coverage is where you are.

BookerG

I am trying to find the answers right now. thank you.

Pizzaeh

@BookerG wrote:

Yes thank you. That was my confusion. I researched the difference between the two. I have set my phone to GSM because I was always seeing out of range when I had it at LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I have not yet tried it again today. I have data turned on now and also roaming. Do I need roaming on? Do you think I have it right now?

Hi @BookerG are you able to answer some of the questions I've posted?  It would really help the community (other subscribers just like you) try and figure this out.  We're here with you, but we need more details.

@BookerG wrote:

Having roaming on is not an issue. Public Mobile is a prepaid service so roaming does not come into play unless you are in the US and purchased a US Roaming add-on.

BookerG

Pizzaeh

@BookerG: we need additional details to help you figure this out.  What you've described that you need help with, is actually called cellular data as @Anonymous  mentioned.  Calling it wi-fi is confusing people trying to figure this out.

Have to go through the basics, so we don't miss anything:

What plan did you activate?

When you log into your self-serve account, what is the Account Status?

Scroll down and look at your usage; what do you see for data Under My Data & Add-Ons?

What phone are you using with Public Mobile?

Is data enabled on your phone?

Are you able to make and receive text messages and calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BookerG wrote:

Thank you but I don't have a problem with my router. I have WiFi connection with it as long as I'm in range. I'm talking about a connection away from my router. When I scan for networks PM does not show up. Am I mistaken about PM's coverage areas?

@BookerG 

Maybe you're still confusing terms or methods. This post hints at maybe you're out somewhere and turning on wifi and scanning for networks and not seeing PM.

Wifi is for connecting to internet access points like in your home as you know and coffee shops and hotels etc.

Cell data is needed to use any plan data paid for.

Is your cell service otherwise working ie. texts/calls? If so then you're already connected to here.

@BookerG wrote:

Thank you. I have all the settings properly entered.

@BookerG : It's not called Wi-Fi it's called Data. If you follow the instructions that @mojorising  made above you should be able to add the correct APN settings and get up and running. Provided that your plan includes data.

@BookerG, is it possible you've used up your cellular data on your plan?  Have you used cellular data on your device before, and was it working?

Ensure your mobile data is turned on, you're connecting to the Public Mobile network (may need to select Telus), and is your device capable of both 3G and 4G/LTE bands?  You may need to select a different selection for LTE vs 3G.

@BookerG wrote:

Do you have an active Public Mobile account ? Public Mobile sim installed ?

BookerG

BookerG

Thank you but I don't have a problem with my router. I have WiFi connection with it as long as I'm in range. I'm talking about a connection away from my router. When I scan for networks PM does not show up. Am I mistaken about PM's coverage areas?

@BookerG wrote:

I guess it's WiFi so I can access the internet to use some of my online apps.

For wifi to work, your router needs to be properly set up.  Then turn on wifi on your phone and tell it to connect to your router's network.  You have to tell your phone to save your wifi password.

@BookerG wrote:

Make sure that wifi is enabled on your cell phone. Look on your phone settings to find the wifi network that you have access to. Some don't need passwords...most do. Good luck.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, Wifi is in your house or hotel ect.  Mobile Data service goes from the cellular network to your phone.

Which Public Mobile plan do you have?

BookerG

mojorising

Do you mean data?

If you just signed up, here is how to setup up data on androids and iphones.

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Blackberry

OS 10 - Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Tap the settings icon (dented wheel)

Windows

Windows 8 Step 1 Settings > cellular > Add or Edit internet APN 

iPhone

Click here

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@BookerGDo you mean that data doesn't work, or just wifi? There is no Public Mobile wifi, you have to find other connections.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BookerG wrote:

No publicmobile wifi detected or connected.

Can you provide a bit more detail ? Do you mean you cannot connect to your wifi ? I don't think this is a Public Mobile problem...but give up some info, maybe we can help.

Need Help? Let's chat.