cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Taxes

PSF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is it correct that there are no taxes on $40. 00 dollar plans when I started the account there was 6 dollars tax but looking at my account today they only take the $40.00

21 REPLIES 21

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Taxes are added at the end after available funds and rewards are subtracted from your plan amount. Any extra funds after this takes place would go to available funds to be used for the next renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think of it as that new real money into the account gets the tax.

Vouchers - taxed at point of purchase.

Payment card - taxed on the card

Having an amount in Available Funds reduces the cost and thus charges a lesser tax on the excess due.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@PSF wrote:

it's cool that you don't get charged any taxes until your credits are gone no place else does that they take the taxes off to each month

Yeah, but then, do any other providers have credits issued to people's accounts, such as a $2 reward for having autopay on your account, or a $10 reward for refer-a-friend, $1 reward for each year with the service, etc., etc.? I don't think so.....

@CannonFodder 

I haven't checked ChatR's offerings in literally years, but they used to have a $10/month for 8 months if you registered your credit card.

The invoice total with that credit was (  plan cost * taxes) - credit.

@PSF wrote:

it's cool that you don't get charged any taxes until your credits are gone no place else does that they take the taxes off to each month

By subtracting the rewards / available funds BEFORE the billed total, tax is only charged on the "missing" amount.

Some other providers us the total plan cost as total invoice amount and use credits towards the payment. So taxes are charged on the full plan cost, no matter how many credits you have.

@PSF wrote:

no I had 67 dollars in credits they took off my 40 for my bill that leaves me with 27 in credit for next month     but if 40 plus 6 is 46      wouldn't there be 6. 00 tax on my credit card

@PSF  That makes sense. Any funds in your account is the amount minus the taxes that have already been paid. So during renewal if the funds from your account are used to cover your plan renewal then the taxes already have been paid.

PSF

or maybe they add that 6 dollars on next month when taxes can get applied

@PSF wrote:

Yeah, but then, do any other providers have credits issued to people's accounts, such as a $2 reward for having autopay on your account, or a $10 reward for refer-a-friend, $1 reward for each year with the service, etc., etc.? I don't think so.....

PSF

@PSF wrote:

no I had 67 dollars in credits they took off my 40 for my bill that leaves me with 27 in credit for next month     but if 40 plus 6 is 46      wouldn't there be 6. 00 tax on my credit card

If you had $67 in available funds it just takes $40 off, no taxes.

Taxes are charged to your credit card if the $40 (or whatever amount self serve needed get to $40 of available funds) had been charged to your credit card.

Now you have $27 left toward your next renewal, so the amount charged to your credit card at renewal night will be ($40 - $2 auto-pay reward - community reward if applicable - referral rewards if applicable - available funds) * your tax rate.

I'm really proud of my little analogy I linked to in my first post in this thread... 😉

It might help you to understand better how plan renewals in self serve here work?

PSF

I checked credit card I don't see the 6 dollars tax       that's why I thought there was no tax on my plan     

PSF

@PSF wrote:

Hi I checked my credit card the 6. 00 tax is not there how long does it take to show up 

@PSF  If today was your renewal then your plan is $40.00 - ($2 + $2 AutoPay rewards) = $36.00 * 1.15 = $41.40. Was that your credit card charge?

@PSF wrote:

Hi I checked my credit card the 6. 00 tax is not there how long does it take to show up 

It should show right away on your credit card. The taxes are charged at the same time, included in the same transaction.

What is the amount charged on your credit card?

Check your payment history on your self-serve account. What charge to your credit card do you see? The amount may be lower than $40 due to other credits you had already received.

@PSF wrote:

Post a screenshot of your payment history without any personal information? We might be able to explain things.

(For example, at this point I'm not sure where you saw the $6.00?)

PSF

@PSF wrote:

So that must mean my 6 dollars tax will be on my credit card with auto pay

Correct. You get out of paying tax on all the rewards but will pay tax on your credit card payments or when buying a voucher. This keeps it easier to figure out online which isn't a true receipt, just a billing history.

AE_Collector

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Don't forget if you sign-up for AutoPay, you'll save $2 (plus the taxes) off your bill every 30 days.

You just have to register your credit card. And you can continue to pay as you normally would.

PSF

So that must mean my 6 dollars tax will be on my credit card with auto pay

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

All accounts are charged sales.tax. Check in your account under rewards.  Do you any amounts for referrals or autopsy ?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@PSF  The payment history does not show taxes. If you are on AutoPay you will see the taxes on your CC statement.

Taxman always gets paid!!

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@PSF wrote:

Is it correct that there are no taxes on $40. 00 dollar plans when I started the account there was 6 dollars tax but looking at my account today they only take the $40.00

All amounts in self serve are before taxes.

Taxes will be added at point of sale. Or on your credit card statement it's amount of top up + tax. If you buy a voucher you pay tax on the voucher amount to the merchant.

Edit to add link to my chips and piggy bank analogy: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Taxes-not-added-in-payment-hi... 

Need Help? Let's chat.