cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service?

triswright
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Activated new sim card, no errors, credit card has been charged.  Insert sim card into phone - it never connects to the network, I just get "No Service".  Any ideas?  I have opened a ticket and will apparently hear back in 48 hours - wow!  Phone is an unlocked iPhone SE (2016).

11 REPLIES 11

@triswright wrote:

magically started working 14 hours after activation. still waiting for response to ticket.  Now another 24-48 hours to transfer my number!

@triswright Make sure you keep using your old sim/service. You will need it to receive a SMS from your old provider to authorize the port.

Here is a link to a Public Mobile page on porting that may be useful:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

triswright

magically started working 14 hours after activation. still waiting for response to ticket.  Now another 24-48 hours to transfer my number!

[Ouch; 14 hours to activate .......... Luddite]

@triswright wrote:

Yes I did and it couldn’t connect either so I’m guessing it’s the SIM card itself or something on their network side.  Switching from Koodo and no issues there so I don’t think it’s the phones .

It may take up to 48 hours from the time you submitted a ticket to the moderators for a reply. Keep an eye on the envelope icon in the top right hand corner for a reply from the moderators.

triswright

Yes I did and it couldn’t connect either so I’m guessing it’s the SIM card itself or something on their network side.  Switching from Koodo and no issues there so I don’t think it’s the phones .

@triswright wrote:

thanks for the suggestions, have tried them all except the iTunes one. I don’t have iTunes on a computer anywhere any more. Anyway, same issue, so far it’s been 6 hours, I will have to wait for public mobile support to figure it out...

Did you try the sim in another unlocked phone?

triswright

thanks for the suggestions, have tried them all except the iTunes one. I don’t have iTunes on a computer anywhere any more. Anyway, same issue, so far it’s been 6 hours, I will have to wait for public mobile support to figure it out...

@triswright wrote:

Activated new sim card, no errors, credit card has been charged.  Insert sim card into phone - it never connects to the network, I just get "No Service".  Any ideas?  I have opened a ticket and will apparently hear back in 48 hours - wow!  Is this for real?  Phone is an unlocked iPhone SE (2016).

I would try this:

Connect your phone to a computer using a USB cable. Run iTunes.  This will connect to the Apple activation server. When inserting a new SIM card or putting one in that is from a different carrier that is already being used sometimes requires the phone to check with Apple as to if the phone is unlocked/if that carrier's SIM card is allowed to be used in the device.  While iPhones with the newest operating system can connect to the Apple activation services without the use of a seperate computer system, this option can be more reliable as it does require the configuation of internet usage on the device itself before this can be done.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

how long you have waited?  Although it usually quick, like with 15 mins, but it could take as long as 4 hours sometimes. 

In the mean time, keep reboot your system every 15 mins and see

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@triswright try power off your phone then reboot the phone. My friend had the same problem and all it needed was all it was.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@triswright 

In all likelihood, this will resolve in an hour or two.

You could try this step-by-step troubleshooter: (pay particular attention to #4)

1. Make sure airplane mode is off
  2. Power OFF your device, wait 1 minute, turn on and check for signal bars
  3. Check on account self-serve that your account status is Active
  4. While on self-serve, check that SIM card number under “Change Sim card” matches the SIM card number in your phone
  5. Make sure the device is not locked to a different carrier.
  6. Make sure you’re in a covered area and there are no cellular outages
  7. Change wifi calling preferences to Cellular Preferred or Cellular Only
  8. Set network mode to Auto
  9. Reset network settings
  10. Update device software to latest version
  11. Perform a manual network selection

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@triswright wrote:

Activated new sim card, no errors, credit card has been charged.  Insert sim card into phone - it never connects to the network, I just get "No Service".  Any ideas?  I have opened a ticket and will apparently hear back in 48 hours - wow!  Is this for real?  Phone is an unlocked iPhone SE (2016).

Can you ensure the SIM card is seated correctly and not loose.Can you try your sim in another unlocked phone? This will help to know whether it is a phone vs account issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.