cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SIM Detected

Breezy-wind
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Recently purchased a PM SIM from a retail store and activated it. However, I'm running into an issue where my phone is not detecting the SIM card at all.

I've tried restarting my phone and inserting the SIM in other phones too but all of them are returning with a "No SIM" message. All test phones are unlocked, and one of them is borrowed from an existing PM user. At this point, I'm fairly sure it's a broken SIM card.

I've already message the moderator_team, but wanted to get some more suggestions while I'm waiting for a response.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@japat129 wrote:

The 6 year old boy had the right answer and that should be the first thing you try and a very good chance it could help a lot of other people  

@japat129 you should invite the 6 year old boy here to help!

In all seriousness:  using some tape or paper has been suggested many times in the past in the community as a possible resolution for various issues--many times it is not the correct step but occasionally it is.  There are a lot of things that could be the cause of the problem.  You did the right thing by trying to search first to look for an existing resolution, so kudos for that.  It would help in the future if you could post your issue here if you're not finding the answer you need, and then the community can ask some questions to try to narrow down the issue and suggest various things to try until you hopefully get your issue(s) resolved.

For your further info:  99.999% of the people you see posting here in the community are just fellow customers like yourself.  Unless you see a "MOD" or "PM" tag next to their name, they are just customers.  We all draw from our own experience in trying to fix issues for ourselves or our friends and loved ones, and from what we've read in the community in the past, and try to help point people in the right direction as best as we can.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@japat129 wrote:

Its about time I got a cell ,could save my life as i get older , then got a sim card from public mobile ,Phone keep saying insert a sim card ,Tried to call public mobile only answer i got  go on line ,, Asked the question  not detecting sim card ?  Same old answer over and over again ,Bought another phone that was to work with pm .that did not work  ,, Asked the question again ,same old answer over and over again ,, Maybe i can send a message to the top brass to find answers , same old answer over and over again   , $1000  later still no service from pm so i was ready to tell pm where to go after 2 weeks . ,, I am next to the school  and a 6 year old boy was talking on a cell and  not expecting any reply I asked do you know anything about a cell phone . He looked at the phone 30 sec later he asked me for a piece of tape ,folded it a couple times put the phone back together turned it on and it worked ,,the 6 year old kid said all sim cards are not the same ,some need a little more pressure on top of the sim to make contact ,,,so by using a spacer on top of the sim ,,between sim and battery or cover will work   

I came here looking for a answer 2 weeks and a $1000 later  , a 6 year old boy knew the right answer 

Not one person on the forum or anybody from public mobilty even made the sugestion ,SAD

Did you use the search bar and put in that question because there are answers in the forum in the past telling people to check if it's a loose sim and to put something in there to make it tighter also if you had Googled it the same information is online. In fact today a similar question was asked in the forum and a link was supplied leading to that exact answer on the internet.

japat129

to shawn c13

I have been on the fourm 2 weeks trying to find answers why my sim is not detected  , you don"t have to join the community to read question and answer ,and why would I ask a question when the same  question was asked many times . The only reason why I joined the community to  made a post to help out other that are looking for answers  . The 6 year old boy had the right answer and that should be the first thing you try and a very good chance it could help a lot of other people   .  ---

you don't have to join the community to read questions and answer 

@japat129 wrote:

Its about time I got a cell ,could save my life as i get older , then got a sim card from public mobile ,Phone keep saying insert a sim card ,Tried to call public mobile only answer i got  go on line ,, Asked the question  not detecting sim card ?  Same old answer over and over again ,Bought another phone that was to work with pm .that did not work  ,, Asked the question again ,same old answer over and over again ,, Maybe i can send a message to the top brass to find answers , same old answer over and over again   , $1000  later still no service from pm so i was ready to tell pm where to go after 2 weeks . ,, I am next to the school  and a 6 year old boy was talking on a cell and  not expecting any reply I asked do you know anything about a cell phone . He looked at the phone 30 sec later he asked me for a piece of tape ,folded it a couple times put the phone back together turned it on and it worked ,,the 6 year old kid said all sim cards are not the same ,some need a little more pressure on top of the sim to make contact ,,,so by using a spacer on top of the sim ,,between sim and battery or cover will work   

I came here looking for a answer 2 weeks and a $1000 later  , a 6 year old boy knew the right answer 

Not one person on the forum or anybody from public mobilty even made the sugestion ,SAD

@japat129  I hate to point something out but you only have 2 posts and neither of them was asking what to do if your SIM card is not detected.  Not only that you only registered for an account 2 days ago so not sure how you asked here 2weeks ago.  If you are going to put numbers in a statement make sure they are accurate as numbers are very easy to prove as correct or incorrect information.  I am not sure what to believe in your post now.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

japat129

Breezy-wind

Thanks, confirmed it was a bad SIM. Worked with the moderator team to switch my account to a new SIM.

If SIM Card Serial (ICCID) and SIM subscriber ID (IMSI) cannot be read with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evozi.deviceid&hl=en

Then I would agree it appears to be a bad SIM. Very unusual.

Breezy-wind

@sheytoon wrote:

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

Maybe the sim card is not seated properly or there is bent pins / dirt / dust on the contacts. Try to clean the contacts with 100% rubbing alcohol / compressed air and check for any signs of bent pins.

Just curious, has this ever happened to anyone on a modern phone with a nano SIM using a SIM tray? The more likely answer is incorrect provisioning.

By the way, for Android phones, you can check SIM info with an app. If IMSI and ICCID can be read correctly, there's no physical problem with the SIM.

Actually am using an Android phone. SIM info like ICCID is showing as "not available".

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

Maybe the sim card is not seated properly or there is bent pins / dirt / dust on the contacts. Try to clean the contacts with 100% rubbing alcohol / compressed air and check for any signs of bent pins.

Just curious, has this ever happened to anyone on a modern phone with a nano SIM using a SIM tray? The more likely answer is incorrect provisioning.

By the way, for Android phones, you can check SIM info with an app. If IMSI and ICCID can be read correctly, there's no physical problem with the SIM.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Purchase a new sim to see if it works.  If possible look for a nearby retail location.  Here is a link to store locator.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

If you can't get it working and have to buy another sim card, email the moderators and they'll likely give you credit for the sim. If you bought it from a store, they'll likely replace it for you.

Contact @Moderator_Team
It can take up to 48 hours for the team to respond to your concerns.

About @Moderator_Team

If you can't get into your self serve account, you'll have to get moderator help in the end anyway.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Breezy-wind Maybe the sim card is not seated properly or there is bent pins / dirt / dust on the contacts. Try to clean the contacts with 100% rubbing alcohol / compressed air and check for any signs of bent pins.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Breezy-windThere isn't much you can do other than be patient.. unless you can login to your selfserve account.. which you can try the Lost/stolen trick.. but it is more likely it is a provisioning problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.