cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No I did not call you from this number

Rid123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Community,

Has anyone ever received a phone call from an anonymous person, arguing with you about calling their phone number, but you have no history of calling this person's number

12 REPLIES 12

cloud7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Whenever I get spoof numbers with the same area code and first 3 numbers as my phone number, I know that I will get more of them throughout the day.  The record was 10 calls from different numbers on the same day.  It was super annoying.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

OMG Lenny is amazing, too bad call forwarding on $15 Public Mobile plan gets charged the same as if I place an outgoing call, even when incoming calls are free...  😞

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Rid123 yes I have getting spoof numbers few number of times last month.

I have notice on the call display that the area code and first 3 numbers are same as mine but the last 4 digits were different.

@Nezgar 😂😂😂

Forwarding those calls to Lenny is much less time consuming for you, and much more time consuming for the scammer/telemarketer!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rid123  I doubt it is useful.  But if you prefer to do something to "fight back" : 

If you receive a telemarketing call with a spoofed caller ID or a call you feel is fraudulent, you can report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by calling 1-888-495-8501 or by visiting the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Rid123 wrote:

Hello Community,

Has anyone ever received a phone call from an anonymous person, arguing with you about calling their phone number, but you have no history of calling this person's number

Many people don't believe that caller ID can be faked.... Well, it's really easy with most business VoIP providers - I've done it for fun myself. What number (and name!) is presented for your outgoing calls has nothing to do with the number you use to receive calls.

Just like email spam can be spoofed to "look" like it came from a different address....

So yes... Your number could very likely have been randomly chosen by a spammer to call the individual that is complaining...

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Rid123 

Maybe it's a spammer tactic to identify active phone numbers and conversationally collect private/personal information attached to them.

Maybe it's an argumentative idiot who can't remember how to dial his own number correctly.

Maybe some wires just got crossed, somehow.

I suggest changing your login passwords for PM Self-Serve, for PM Community, and for the email account linked to it. Just in case you're being targeted for some kind of SIM scam or porting scam or whatever.

you have some bad luck your number is used as spoof.    its all random chosen.

Also, there is no way to avoid your number being spoofed, it's not your fault or anything.

They just randomly generated the number.   So, no worry if you did anything wrong or if anything got compromised.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

this is about those Spam/telemarketing calls.

Spammers these days are so smart, they call you with a fake phone number, same first 3 number of your phone number to make it real.  For example, if you number is 605-888-1234, the fake number would be something like 605-888-9876 to make it real and make you pickup the phone.

my rule of thumb is, if i see phone number in that pattern and i don't know the number, I don't pickup

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your phone number was spoofed! Someone probably used your phone number to disguise another phone number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.