cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions.

phone_newbie87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

Considering public mobile for personal phone service after having work plans for over 20 years.  

Questions:

1. Work plan with Rogers.  Is it possible to transfer your phone number to Public Mobile?  If so, is there a fee associated?

2. For the $25 autopay it says 500 MB + 500 MB autopay.  Does this simply mean you link your credit card automatic pay of the $25 and you get 1 GB of data?

3. For the $25 plan it says International texts are free.  If I'm over the border (BC resident) for say a trip of 10 days can I have my phone data on or will I get dinged with fees?  I guess technically texts don't use data so you would just turn off your cellular roaming and be able to receive and send texts for free?  And then just pay by call if you got stranded and needed to make a call?

4. Is the speed acceptable for general usage like maps, apps using maps, internet surfing?  I generally do not use my phone to watch videos on data.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

17 REPLIES 17

phone_newbie87

That map actually explains everything.  I recently moved and am now 1 block from a Rogers tower and have service.  However, my general neighbourhood is very poorly covered so after that tower there is nothing for about 20 blocks.  

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Cool!  There is one that's 1/2 block from my house and all over the place.  I live in the Lower Mainland, BC.

@phone_newbie87  looks like reception will be good then if its half a block away from your house.

Out of curiosity how far is the Rogers tower?? That you've been getting reception from?

phone_newbie87

Cool!  There is one that's 1/2 block from my house and all over the place.  I live in the Lower Mainland, BC.

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

The last thing I want to do is check the Telus service in my little neck of the woods.  Historically we have terrible cell service which would make it hard to receive calls at home.

Good idea - I have lousy connectivity here at home, whereas it's considerably better on the Rogers network. You might also want to check, if possible, with more than one phone, because here at home, my wife's phone works better with my PM SIM than my phone does, so if I want to fix, or at least somewhat boost my connectivity, I need to either switch providers, or switch phones.

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

@Jb456 I gave the credit to the response that was so neatly organized.  You guys are all very helpful though, so thank you!

This company and the $25 plan seems like a no brainer for me.  The last thing I want to do is check the Telus service in my little neck of the woods.  Historically we have terrible cell service which would make it hard to receive calls at home.

@phone_newbie87  thanks for doing the change. 

You can use link below to see what towers are near you..

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

You are welcome @phone_newbie87 . Glad that we could help you. Have a great weekend. 

phone_newbie87

@Jb456 I gave the credit to the response that was so neatly organized.  You guys are all very helpful though, so thank you!

This company and the $25 plan seems like a no brainer for me.  The last thing I want to do is check the Telus service in my little neck of the woods.  Historically we have terrible cell service which would make it hard to receive calls at home.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 @Luddite Can one of you kind Oracle's change the solution to @geopublic instead of me being marked?? Thank you!

@phone_newbie87  first please untick my message as the Solution and select a new solution to someone that provided you all the details with your questions as it counts towards community rewards.

5- Yes.

6- yes you can order a sim now and activate it in future..I would suggest however to try a Walmart they sometimes give you a free sim if you activate in stores with them.

I would also suggest that you keep an eye out for Flash sales that Public has. So you can get discounts on your plan..they just had one from Jan 20 to Feb 3rd $5 off payment 2 to 9 for $25 plan and higher plans $10 off.

Last suggestion be sure to use a referral code for a $10 sign up bonus

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Great responses @geopublic!  Thank you!  

I think that I may forgo porting my number over because of the hassle factor....also, my work would own that number and it's too complicated.

Other questions?

5. I bought a used iphone 8 plus.  Can I simply access the SIM slot with a paperclip undone? 

6. Does my account only start when I click activate...meaning if I want to activate say March 15th can I order my SIM now to get it in time and then just activate March 15th and my monthy billing starts then?

5 yes. 6 yes

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

I think that I may forgo porting my number over because of the hassle factor....also, my work would own that number and it's too complicated.

Other questions?

5. I bought a used iphone 8 plus.  Can I simply access the SIM slot with a paperclip undone? 

6. Does my account only start when I click activate...meaning if I want to activate say March 15th can I order my SIM now to get it in time and then just activate March 15th and my monthy billing starts then?

phone_newbie87

Other questions?

@phone_newbie87  take note that when you're on auto-pay you receive a $2 bonus every 30 days. So your $25 bill would actually be $23 plus taxes in your province.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Hi there,

Considering public mobile for personal phone service after having work plans for over 20 years.  

Questions:

1. Work plan with Rogers.  Is it possible to transfer your phone number to Public Mobile?  If so, is there a fee associated?

@phone_newbie87  Yes, porting from Rogers is possible as long as the number is in your name or you are authorized to port the number out. Best to check with Rogers or your work.

2. For the $25 autopay it says 500 MB + 500 MB autopay.  Does this simply mean you link your credit card automatic pay of the $25 and you get 1 GB of data?

Yes.

3. For the $25 plan it says International texts are free.  If I'm over the border (BC resident) for say a trip of 10 days can I have my phone data on or will I get dinged with fees? 

Public Mobile never charges overage fees. If you want to be able to use your phone in the US you will need to purchase a 10 day US Roaming add-on otherwise your phone will not work when you are down there.

I guess technically texts don't use data so you would just turn off your cellular roaming and be able to receive and send texts for free?  And then just pay by call if you got stranded and needed to make a call?

Free International texts refers to being able to send/receive texts from/to anywhere worldwide when in Canada. In order to be able to use your phone in the US you must purchase a US Roaming add-on.

usr.JPG

4. Is the speed acceptable for general usage like maps, apps using maps, internet surfing?  I generally do not use my phone to watch videos on data.

Yes, the speed is ideal for what you need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

3. For the $25 plan it says International texts are free.  If I'm over the border (BC resident) for say a trip of 10 days can I have my phone data on or will I get dinged with fees?  I guess technically texts don't use data so you would just turn off your cellular roaming and be able to receive and send texts for free?  And then just pay by call if you got stranded and needed to make a call?

1. Yes. No.

3. No fees. Leave your phone on. Have roaming on. Doesn't matter. No extra charges here. You can receive texts without an add-on. Unofficially you can receive calls. No outbound without an add-on. Use any one of many wifi apps. Many seem to like TextNow.

@phone_newbie87 , adding to @hycm53  answers. No charge for texts. You will receive but cannot send unless you purchase an add on. No, unless its a 911 call. You have to purchase the $20 roaming add on to make calls or send texts or use data in the US .

@hycm53 wrote:

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Hi there,

Questions:

1. No fee;

2. Yes;

3. The free international text means you have to be in Canada.;

4. Yes. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Questions:

As mentioned, no fee, but I BELIEVE that number would have to be in your name to be able to port the number to another provider.

To call and text if you're across the border, you'd need to buy an add-on, AND there is no "pay by call", since PM is a prepaid service.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Hi there,

Questions:

1. No fee;

2. Yes;

3. The free international text means you have to be in Canada.;

4. Yes. 

Need Help? Let's chat.