cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user. I keep getting spam texts from stores

NewUserAnnoyed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is that normal? Is it part of the service public mobile is offering?

I registered as a new user and I keep getting offers from stores like urban planet and susy sheer. I haven't even shared my number with anybody yet. Not even my friends and I'm getting spammed non stop. It's extremely annoying.

6 REPLIES 6

@NewUserAnnoyed wrote:

I registered as a new user and I keep getting offers from stores like urban planet and susy sheer. I haven't even shared my number with anybody yet. Not even my friends and I'm getting spammed non stop. It's extremely annoying.

I never get anything like that. Your beef is with the companies who are sending you these messages. I also agree with the others that your number is likely recycled. You can try to unsubscribe/opt out, contact the companies and ask them to remove yoru phone numbers from their lists, or just block all messages from those numbers as mentioned earlier. From the first reply in this message thread, the easiest thing is probably to change your phone number, especially since you haven't yet given it out to anyone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@NewUserAnnoyed , what messaging app are you using?  Most apps have a feature that allows you to block a sender.  This is the easiest way to stop the spam from retailers.  

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@NewUserAnnoyed You should contact the Moderator_Team ask them to block the texts ,  It might take 2-48 hours for them to respond back to you though or block messages from the sender.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@NewUserAnnoyed  I agree with @DanielleMarie  and @GinYVR  it definitely sounds like you got a number from a shopaholic or someone that had a mean trick played on them and they got rid off the number for the same reason. Seeing as you haven't given it out yet just go in and change it on your account. You can change it once every 30 days. If you have just activated I believe you can change it immeadiately but you will not be able to change it again for at least 30 days.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@NewUserAnnoyedIf you use a popular area code that numbers are being reused constantly eg 416 or 604; unfortunately there is nothing you can do but to get yourself off the list off retailers yourself. or get yourself another number that hopefully is not on that many advertisement lists.

I don't think Public Mobile sells user demographic to companies outside of Telus (yet).

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@NewUserAnnoyed wrote:

I've never gotten anything like that. Maybe the number previously belonged to someone who signed up for a bunch of stuff or something? If you're not attached to the number you can change it in your self serve account.

Need Help? Let's chat.