cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this service

TRC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was just wondering how long it takes for the service to be enabled after I have ported my landline # to mobile with public.    As of an hour ago I could send texts and make calls but can not receive anything.  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

nrg_svr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nice to see such a variety of responses! 🙂 Good to be reminded of the lag for porting a landline, as my next two referrals are going to be just that - landlines.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unfortunately landline porting can be slow (weeks even) but it should happen eventually Smiley Happy

Arissrunner

I have experienced the same activity.  I initiated a port of my Bell Landline number yesterday and can make calls with my new PM cell phone but really nothing else.  The porting process has updated my cell phone number with my landline number and I am assuming once Bell releases the number all should be working. If on average it is taking 2 days or longer for the process to complete, that is par for the course for Bell as they do not normally move very fast. My land line is still operational so no big deal waiting, except the sooner that line is cancelled, the sooner I start saving with my move over to Public Mobile.

@dna2016 wrote:

Wow 10 days Luddite, you must have been pissed, I know I would have been.  That's a pretty long time.

As it happens I wasn't, because I had read this could occur and just kept using the landline. If was travelling I could still make calls and use data anyway, just not receive them. Landline, plus cell phone for travelling, is still popular in my neighbourhood. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dna2016

Wow 10 days @Luddite, you must have been pissed, I know I would have been.  That's a pretty long time.

dna2016

Hi @TRC,

Welcome to public mobile.  When porting landline numbers it generally takes a bit longer than porting a cell phone number.  From my experience I'd say anywhere from 24 - 72 hours.  But sometimes it can take within 24 hours, just depends how quickly the communication between providers happens.  As the others have mentioned, continue to use your landline but also keep checking your cell phone, I have seen at times where both the cell # and the landline were working at the same time for a very short period of time (i.e. less 30 minutes).  If you find that a week has gone by and your number still hasn;t ported then I recommend you contact a mod to ensure the information provided to complete the port was accurate, or maybe a second port submission from their end would be needed.

Good Luck

CWTA's official guideline is 2 business days.  This is just rough number.  It could be faster or could be longer, but generally, landlines almost always take longer than a wireless phone number.

@TRC My landline took 10 days; just keep using it and do not cancel your service.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TRC

@will13am  Thank you for the prompt reply. It was very helpful.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TRCfirst of all welcome to the service.  With respect to your question of timing for land line porting, expect approximately 48 hour turn around.  Continue to use your landline and when you see it stop working that means the porting is complete.  If you are a Bell customer, they will contact you within the 48 hours and do a last minute plea for you to stay.  Once you rebuff them, the port will be released.  That has been my experience when I did my Bell land line port years and years ago. 

Need Help? Let's chat.