cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Public Mobile!

Unclefreshton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning everyone! 

I am brand-spanking-new to p.m. I just signed up a couple hours ago and it was so easy to do. I switch over from Telus Mobility. Since p.m. runs on the Telus Network I did not have to unlock my phone which was a great money saver. I ended up going with build my own plan it came out to roughly I think it was $42 S4 30 days that is more than half of what I paid with Telus for the same services. I do not mind that there is no customer service number to call I would actually just prefer to message someone on here anyways. The seems like a very active community and I'm very happy to be a part of the public mobile community. I just want to say thank you to everyone for providing such a great service!

32 REPLIES 32

John316guy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same here - was a Telus user also.  Haven’t had any problems in the last 8 months of joining.  

ninaboo

@torontokriswrote:

Not sure why your speeds are faster on PM 3G vs Telus as it's the same network. I was faster on PM 3G (actual 3G) vs Freedom Mobile 3G big time. are you actually on 3G or the "3G speeds plan" which is actually LTE capped to 3mbps.

@torontokrisI have no idea why, I'm aware that it's the same network but so far have definitely had not only faster speed but better connection ( getting service in places where I didn't before ). I guess time will tell if that continues, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.. I signed up for the 1 GB + 1GB bonus at 3G speed.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoasterwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

Not s

@ninaboowrote:

I also just made the switch to PM from Telus. 🙂 Super easy to do too. Built my own plan and am paying just over half of what I was paying Telus for essentially the same plan, greatly looking forward to the savings! Added bonus, I'm finding that my data speed and internet connection are so far working faster and better than with Telus, even with just 3G!

Not sure why your speeds are faster on PM 3G vs Telus as it's the same network. I was faster on PM 3G (actual 3G) vs Freedom Mobile 3G big time. are you actually on 3G or the "3G speeds plan" which is actually LTE capped to 3mbps.

@torontokris

Not sure about the exact situation here, but there have been reports that it might take a couple of days for the 3mbps cap to kick in. So if @ninaboo is indeed on a LTE light (=3G speed with LTE latency) plan, they might see a reduction in speed soon, but can injoy what they have as long as it lasts.

Koodo is also known for giving about a week unlimited. So it's possible your right. I don't know as been with PM over a year. Maybe the new users can speak to it

fsm7268
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

welcome! You will be happy about PM saving tons of money. I just joined a bit over a month, more than happy with PM. I will bring more friends too. Go away those big money grabbing cellphone companies!

@torontokriswrote:

Not s

@ninaboowrote:

I also just made the switch to PM from Telus. 🙂 Super easy to do too. Built my own plan and am paying just over half of what I was paying Telus for essentially the same plan, greatly looking forward to the savings! Added bonus, I'm finding that my data speed and internet connection are so far working faster and better than with Telus, even with just 3G!

@torontokris

Not sure about the exact situation here, but there have been reports that it might take a couple of days for the 3mbps cap to kick in. So if @ninaboo is indeed on a LTE light (=3G speed with LTE latency) plan, they might see a reduction in speed soon, but can injoy what they have as long as it lasts.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Not s

@ninaboowrote:

MoraMan

@Unclefreshton welcome to PM. I'm pretty new too! Very happy so far.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile @ninaboo.  Hope we'll see you here in the community.

ninaboo

timmmmeh

Welcome! The users here are very helpful if you have any questions. 

Tom

crtowns

Welcome @Unclefreshton!!!

It’s great to have you on board!

Acekiller

In case you don't know, you can unlock your phone for free, through telus or through PM

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Unclefreshton welcome to Public Mobile.

koimr1

@Ludditewrote:

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

@Luddite thanks but there is no need to unlock.. it works fine!

True, but if you ever travel outside Canada being unlocked is necessary to use a local SIM. 

Yuppers! Nice having that flexibilty. Another reason would be if you are gonna give that phone to someone else as a hand-me-down or temp phone and they are on a different network or if you need to try a non-Telus/etc SIM for testing.

I always find the time I need this is not the time where I want to wait for an unlock code. 🙂

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

True, but if you ever travel outside Canada being unlocked is necessary to use a local SIM. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Unclefreshton

@Unclefreshton If your phone was originally from Telus/Koodo, PM will unlock it for free: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Unclefreshton

@ute1978 LOL! Some people just don't understand that this isn't a top-of-the-line premium provider and they cannot get answers immediately sheesh

ute1978

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

@ute1978 what do you mean some bleepers I'm not familiar with what that means

Recent example.

bleep.PNG

Unclefreshton

I really love how interactive this community is. In a way it's a very smart move by public mobile / Telus to have this community because really the people are the customer support line no need for a phone number it's genius!

ute1978

@stonechuckerwrote:

@Unclefreshton, your words are magic to my ears!  I swear I was the only one who extensivly researched before signing up here.  Welcome!

Make 2 out of it. Before I signed up I scoured the community. 

@Unclefreshton, not to speak for @ute1978  but I think he is referring to angry customers who come in here in a rage and start swearing.  The forum edits it and puts in **Bleep**

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Unclefreshton, your words are magic to my ears!  I swear I was the only one who extensivly researched before signing up here.  Welcome!

Unclefreshton

@ute1978 what do you mean some bleepers I'm not familiar with what that means

ute1978

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

@closng @koimr1 @ShawnC13@ute1978   

Thank you everybody for such a warm welcome I think I will fit in just fine here 🙂

Yes you will. And you have to develop a thick skin as we will have some bleepers from time to time.

Unclefreshton

@closng @koimr1 @ShawnC13@ute1978   

Thank you everybody for such a warm welcome I think I will fit in just fine here 🙂

closng

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

@ShawnC13 do you mean that the more active I am in the community I can get rewards on the account or something?

@Unclefreshton Precicely! Here is more information for you to read with regards to the community rewards:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Community-Reward/m-p/415#M5

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your stay with us!

koimr1

@Unclefreshtonwrote:

@ShawnC13 do you mean that the more active I am in the community I can get rewards on the account or something?

Yup.

It's not much so don't expect to pay your entire bill with it but a buck or two off a month isn't too shabby. 🙂

Also, from your first post, you don't need to pay to unlock your phone anymore (as of Dec 1 2017). Just in case you have friends that want to switch over too - oh, and if they refer you then you also get a buck off per month for each referral. Not too bad!

Unclefreshton

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Unclefreshton, welcome to PM stick around and participate in the forum and you can save even more money!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.