cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to PM - looking for advice!

Davt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone! 

Just looking for some advice when it comes to posting on the community. I’ve been browsing the community for the past few days and looking at some of the questions and responses. Every time I want to respond, it seems like I’m just repeating what the persons before me said and I end up not posting. I want to be helpful, but don’t want to just post random things for the sake of posting to get rewards. Any advice from more experienced members? Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sometimes there is a different slant that you can add to the conversation.  You get questions on something, someone gives a good answer, but if you have the knowledge, you can add alternate options to try, because sometimes the most popular option may not suit the purpose as well.  In addition, a lot of people appreciate reinforcment, so if there is a lot of people posting the same solution, there is more comfort in trying it out.

As other have said, don't worry about it! 

vincenzooooo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. I am experiencing the same thing.

@Davt wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Just looking for some advice when it comes to posting on the community. I’ve been browsing the communitu for the past few days and looking at some of the questions and responses. Every time I want to respond, it seems like I’m just repeating what the persons before me said and I end up not posting. I want to be helpful, but don’t want to just post random things for the sake of posting to get rewards. Any advice from more experienced members? Thanks! 

One of the key things about not repeating someone else is to read the messages in thead.  I know that may sound silly, but there are many people who clearly don't, or don't care because they know that posting messages will earn rewards, even if the message isn't helpful. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Members knows that sometimes, someone will mention another member's message for completeness an answer, but there are times when some people will reply to a 3 month old thread and copy exactly what the message before said to up the post count.   

Accidents are going to happen when it comes to repition.  It's not the occassional accident that others will be worried about, but rather if someone is being a chornic offender.

Just try your best.

Alireja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The other thing is some people just post the overused, cliche "Contact Moderator" thing without even walk trought all previous posts in a topic or think about the solution to the issue.Smiley Frustrated

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi and Welcome,

I usually read through and if there is a similar answer, I don't respond but if you find some topic that relate to your experience, I think its helpful if you share it. 

I also look at the dates of the answer, if its over 12 months, I would think the system might have changed and if you have some updated info, just answer with what you know.

The community is very welcoming and helpful. I am on my 3rd PM SIM for my family and having some trouble and its slowly getting solved. [fingers crossed]. Just be patient.

Have a great day!

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Davt wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Just looking for some advice when it comes to posting on the community. I’ve been browsing the communitu for the past few days and looking at some of the questions and responses. Every time I want to respond, it seems like I’m just repeating what the persons before me said and I end up not posting. I want to be helpful, but don’t want to just post random things for the sake of posting to get rewards. Any advice from more experienced members? Thanks! 

LOL I noticed the same thing in the begining! It is what it is!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It happens alot when you compose a response that someone else is quicker to post.  You can always post your reply as it never hurts to always help someone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Welcome!!

It happens.  Sometimes while you're writing your post, another just gets in there.  Generally, within minutes, we don't really give anyone a hassle.

90 minutes later, unless you bring something new, some people frown on that.

lol Or 3 years on a solved thread!

What'r'y'gonna do. 🙂

Welcome indeed and way t' ask.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Davt wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Yes a lot of posts do have similar responses, most of the time because when someone is replying they're not aware someone else has already posted.  But keep trying, sometimes you're the only one to see someone's question first and can provide a useful answer.  

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If I have exactly thoughts with above, I will not posting, but give bravos instead. but you may have other missing points from other posting.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Welcome!!

It happens.  Sometimes while you're writing your post, another just gets in there.  Generally, within minutes, we don't really give anyone a hassle.

90 minutes later, unless you bring something new, some people frown on that.

Need Help? Let's chat.