cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

Percey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Almost ready to join up but I’m curious about anyone with experience with reception. I hear that with 3G service it is known as a type of legacy system and that phones are less apt to switch to towers to have strong coverage. The phone may cling to poor coverage leading to some frustrations. Legit issue?

10 REPLIES 10

devonbanman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was also going to mention this as well. Many people don't realize that a normal cell phone call happens on the 3G or HSPA network, even for LTE phones. Try calling somone but watch your network and cell signal change from LTE or 4G to 3G or HSPA... (exception: if your phone is new enough AND your provider allows it, "WiFi Calling" or "Voice over IP" calls will use WiFi or LTE respectively...)

Percey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I was worried about reception but I guess that applies to data as well- the bell/Telus network is pretty strong but if I’m not mistaken, it won’t work with other carriers like Rogers right? I think that most traditional plans work with ALL the towers...

So being a Kudoo person I start the account under a (1) new number and (2) different email account then koodo. Then- change it all back to the way I want it right?

It’s my sole phone so it all sounds a bit irregular and makes a potential customer nervous...

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Phone calls go through 3G anyway, and Telus/Bell has good coverage across Canada. Did you have problems with your last service? I've found reception to be excellent. And the 3G speed is fine - I've even streamed Netflix with it without problems if data speed is a concern.

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have been using PM for a number of months and haven’t had any issues. I have others who have joined as well, and they have been content with coverage and service. I have a friend who has used PM for 3+ years and he has been happy with coverage and service. The 3G is fine. I notice the videos are descent and overall happy with service and coverage.

Cheers,

mj23

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Percey wrote:

Almost ready to join up but I’m curious about anyone with experience with reception. I hear that with 3G service it is known as a type of legacy system and that phones are less apt to switch to towers to have strong coverage. The phone may cling to poor coverage leading to some frustrations. Legit issue?

Are you asking about phone reception or data?

All phone calls go through the 3g network, so make sure that you don't set your phone to "LTE only" or you won't be able to make or receive any of your voice calls.

skylenth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As @NDesai said, Public Mobile's "3G" service is actually 4G LTE. Coverage wise, you will have the same coverage as Bell and Telus based networks since Public Mobile uses both networks (actually it uses Telus' network but Telus shares Towers with Bell and vice-versa. You can see the coverage map here

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @Percey

You'll be under same service coverage, you can check our coverage map , however the difference has to do with the browsing speed. 

Here's a link you can check to have an idea on the difference between both. 

Regards. 

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Same reception/coverage as telus but your speeds are throttled to 3mbps on 3g plan and you can use LTE with throttle.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Percey  That's not true. Even the 3G plans are on the LTE network, it's just the speed that is throttled to 3g like. Coverage wide, you will be covered in most areas throughout Canada. Have a look at the coverage map and if you are covered, you won't have any problems even on 3G plans. 

Need Help? Let's chat.