cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer: port-in now or later, VM phone, old SIM?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm trying to help another friend move from Virgin Mobile postpaid to Public Mobile later this month. 🙂

They're going on the $40/(4.5+0.5)GB plan. Is the current wisdom it's better to activate with new number then port in, or port in while activating on PM?

I think their handset (Samsung A5?) is new enough to be unlocked but I'll get them to confirm now. They have an unused PM SIM from 2015 when they were still free, and it fits the handset. Should it work and save them $10? I believe it's from the early days after Telus dumped the CDMA technology and was giving away SIMs to encourage adoption.

And of course, if there are any tricks or gotchas we should watch out for, I'd be interested in those too.

Thanks!

=aw

9 REPLIES 9

ottawa

I just created a new account for them on 5GB/$40 at 130am EDT on Apr 23. There's an announcement this plan is going away at 1159pm Apr 22 so I guess that's PDT. Was able to get all the way through to confirmed order and see authorization for $40+tax on my CC (was getting theirs in AM but couldn't wait).

Hopefully if the old (2015) SIM # was accepted for the order, it means it will work. They'll find out in AM and even if they have to get a replacement SIM,presumably they're now locked in to this grandfathered plan. 🙂

Thanks again everyone for the advice and support!

=aw

Shutdown

It's better to create account with new number then port. Cause I think some people had problems accessing account when their number didn't port properly and they created account with old number instead.

@ottawa wrote:

Thanks for the helpful answers. Not a dual-SIM handset I'm sure, it's VM-issue and I don't think the carriers do that.

For those who said the old SIM might be problematic, can you clarify why and/or how you know it's the SIM? I remember getting a few at the time, and having to specify size. Friend tells me his is the right size. I'm hoping to time it to a promotional referral bonus, but whatever he gets, he's still $10 ahead if he can use old one. I'm happy to tell him he has to buy a new one, but it would be good to know why.

=aw

That SIM card will definitely work without any issues

I have activated the same one provided the SIM card had never been activated before 

As for porting the best approach IMHO is to do it later. Get everything up and running and if you are happy with the service the go ahead with the port.

ottawa

Thanks for the helpful answers. Not a dual-SIM handset I'm sure, it's VM-issue and I don't think the carriers do that.

For those who said the old SIM might be problematic, can you clarify why and/or how you know it's the SIM? I remember getting a few at the time, and having to specify size. Friend tells me his is the right size. I'm hoping to time it to a promotional referral bonus, but whatever he gets, he's still $10 ahead if he can use old one. I'm happy to tell him he has to buy a new one, but it would be good to know why.

=aw

ohshagit
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If your friend's handset has dual SIM slots, they can reg with PM amd takw that nrw number. Then port the old one. They'll have both cards in the phone so the transition will be seamless thrn it happens.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ottawa wrote:

I'm trying to help another friend move from Virgin Mobile postpaid to Public Mobile later this month. 🙂

They're going on the $40/(4.5+0.5)GB plan. Is the current wisdom it's better to activate with new number then port in, or port in while activating on PM?

I think their handset (Samsung A5?) is new enough to be unlocked but I'll get them to confirm now. They have an unused PM SIM from 2015 when they were still free, and it fits the handset. Should it work and save them $10? I believe it's from the early days after Telus dumped the CDMA technology and was giving away SIMs to encourage adoption.

And of course, if there are any tricks or gotchas we should watch out for, I'd be interested in those too.

Thanks!

=aw

In my personal experience I have ported in during activation on over 20 lines and have had no issues.  Others go by getting a new number and porting in at later.  When porting only provide account number and name of accoutn holder and of course phone number.  Don't worry about PIN or IMEI just more info that could mess things up.  So personal choice after your research and what you feel is best.

My stepson has an A5(2017) from Virgin and it is locked as I tried a PM sim in it so it is good to verify that it is unlocked prior to the switch.

For the SIM not sure why it wouldn't work.  I don't have any that are that old but the new ones are all triple punch and you can recover the cost of the sim by having been referred so it is a net $0

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa wrote:

Thanks!

=aw

The old SIM should work if it wasn't used, and it fits into the phone.  Public Mobile used to off 3 separate sizes.  If it doesn't work, you'll just need to pick up a new 3-punch sim at a local retailer.  Try to stay away from  Walmart if you don't want to activate in store.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

When your friend makes a PM account and activates their SIM card, just follow the steps for porting the number. They should use their old SIM until the service stops working, then you will know the number has been ported to the PM SIM. Porting usually takes only 20 minutes or so, but occasionally can take up to 72 hours. If anything goes wrong you can contact a Moderator to help resolve an incomplete port.

The old SIM may still work, but your mileage may vary, some people have had problems with them. You could try activating it without porting the phone number, see if service works okay on it, and then port the phone number afterward. That way if the 2015 SIM doesnt work, you dont have to go through the trouble of porting it twice.

denis2

The old sim card will not work, need to buy new one

[EDIT by Luddite to strikethrough incorrect information]

Need Help? Let's chat.