cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cell phone

Tom60
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I have an account with public mobile but I am having issues with my phone. I have another phone, same as my previous phone...samsung galaxy A5.... How do I activate my new phone? How do I deactivate my current phone? Can i just transfer the Sim card?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

@Tom60  What happens when you dial 611 from your phone?

@Tom60 if you have public mobile on your network and it shows a signal try resetting your network settings

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tom60  it's likely the phone is locked.

You can call old provider for unlock code..

Or ask Samsung Canada live chat for it at link below.

https://chatbot.samsungcs-canada.com/chatbot?source=dotcom

You'll need the IMEI number of the phone.

Dial *#06# for the IMEI number.

Tom60

Hi. I cant text or make phone calls after I transferred the sim card. Both phones are Damsun galaxy A5 phones. Maybe the phone I transferred to is still locked. I will check with the provider tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.

@Tom60 wrote:

I just transferred the sim card but I cannot make any phone calls. Do I need to set up another account with public mobile?

Thanks

If you already have an active account, do not create another Public Mobile account. You'll just end up paying for another plan. Plus, you can't activate a new account without a new sim card (which you don't need if you already have an active account).

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tom60 no you don't.

On the phone you transferred sim card to. Does it connect to Public Mobile Network? Or does it say something like "enter sim unlock pin"??

More details please. Thanks

@kittybooze wrote:

In order to deactivate a phone, you must contact the phone provider that phone is with. This is usually done through an online account, but can be done over the phone as well. Also, if you're just planning to transfer to another phone like you said, all you need to really do is insert the sim card and it should work fine.

There is no deactivating involved here. The carrier doesn't need to be contacted.

kittybooze

Ensure that your new phone is showing Public Mobile under the mobile network in your phone's settings. Are you able to text/use data? The only reason it wouldn't work is if the settings for your network are wrong or the phone is locked with another company.

Tom60

I just transferred the sim card but I cannot make any phone calls. Do I need to set up another account with public mobile?

Thanks

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tom60 

YES Just move the sim to other phone.

Tom60

I am currently with public mobile. My phone had issues and is no longer working. I have another phone that I would like to use. Both phones are samsung galaxy A5. Can I just move the sim card over to my new phone?

@Tom60 wrote:

Hi,

I have an account with public mobile but I am having issues with my phone. I have another phone, same as my previous phone...samsung galaxy A5.... How do I activate my new phone? How do I deactivate my current phone? Can i just transfer the Sim card?

Thanks

@Tom60 

If it is the exact same model (same version) of the Galaxy A5, you only need to insert the sim card into the new phone.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Take sim out of current phone put in other phone.

Other phone might be locked to its original provider you got it from so you would have to get that phone unlocked.

You would have to contact the provider you got it from and ask for the Unlock code. However since it's a Samsung you can go to Samsung Canada website and open a live chat with them for that code.

Let us know.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just transfer Sim card.

kittybooze

In order to deactivate a phone, you must contact the phone provider that phone is with. This is usually done through an online account, but can be done over the phone as well. Also, if you're just planning to transfer to another phone like you said, all you need to really do is insert the sim card and it should work fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.