cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account on unlocked iPhone SE. Voice and text work fine. Cellular data "Could not activate ..

teazle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I had a Public Mobile SIM card installed at a London Drugs a couple of weeks ago and my phone number ported over from Petro Canada Mobility.  Everything went very smooth and quickly.  My voice and text has worked flawlessly but today when I left home and tried to use Cellular data fro the first time, it would not work.

When I switch Cellular Data on in settings I see LTE come up after Public Mobile in the top left of the screen, but I cannot get email to update or any other internet access.  The messages I receive are "Could not activate cellular data network", with a sub message 

"You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

My Public Mobile account gives me 1GB of data access each month.  Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get it working?

Thanks for any advice

10 REPLIES 10

@teazleThanks for the update.

teazle

@LovesToPM  Hi. Yes, I’m sure.  That’s what had me confused for a while.  I could see the PM APN profile under Settings/Cellular, that got automatically installed when London Drugs changed out the SIM cards for me, and checked to ensure it was the right one for PM Data. And I could see that the phone thought cellular data was activated when I switched on Cellular Data, because the little LTE indicator appeared beside “Public Mobile” in top left of the phone screen.

So I started poking around in Settings until I found this other APN profile on a line of its own about 2/3 of the way down Settings/General.  There were quite a few pieces of data that comprised the profile, that included a button to remove it. I removed it and PM cellular data immediately started working perfectly.

After I found the culprit I remembered that for the first few years I had PC Mobility, at first I had just voice and text.  Then I called them up and asked them to add data to my account, which they did.  But then, to get the data working I had to manually install a special APN profile that must have decided to locate itself in Settings/General, rather than in Settings/Cellular Data. I had to search a while to find the specisl APN profile for PCM cellular data, but eventually tracked it down under admin@unlockit.co.nz.

Funny how you sometimes have to go to great lengths to get apparently simple things to work!

@teazle wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I eventually figured out what the problem was.  To activate data in my previous Petro Canada Mobility service I had to manually install a special APN profile on my iPhone.  In some way this was overriding or interfering with the profiles and settings automatically installed when I had the PCM SIM card switched out for the Public Mobile SIM card.

When I found the old APN profile still on my phone, in Settings >General, I removed it and voila, everything works perfectly, including Public Mobile Cellular Data.

@teazle 

Glad you got it working. I hope there was some aid in helping to solve your problem.

Btw are you sure you found your old APN profile under Settings > General?

Usually these things are found under "Cellular" settings
unless of course you have your own customized iOS...

lockej

Log into your account on-line and see what plan you are in. My guess is that soemthing happened when activating and the wrong plan was applied or you have used your data.

teazle

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I eventually figured out what the problem was.  To activate data in my previous Petro Canada Mobility service I had to manually install a special APN profile on my iPhone.  In some way this was overriding or interfering with the profiles and settings automatically installed when I had the PCM SIM card switched out for the Public Mobile SIM card.

When I found the old APN profile still on my phone, in Settings >General, I removed it and voila, everything works perfectly, including Public Mobile Cellular Data.

@Anonymous wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@teazleYou can give this a try.

On your phone, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network > Reset Settings

Reboot phone. This should remove your PC mobile settings and setup APN for Public Mobile.

I change my bet. This sounds better. 🙂

It's a coin toss. Only OP knows for sure. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LovesToPM wrote:

On your phone, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network > Reset Settings

Reboot phone. This should remove your PC mobile settings and setup APN for Public Mobile.

I change my bet. This sounds better. 🙂

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@teazleSince the $25 plan seems to have gone through a few revisions.. make sure your exisiting plan have data in your profile... and make sure it hasn't been used up.

If there is data, the next step is find another phone (any smart phone) to swap your SIM card with.. that will narrow down whether it is Public's problem or the iPhone's problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@teazle wrote:

Hi all,

I had a Public Mobile SIM card installed at a London Drugs a couple of weeks ago and my phone number ported over from Petro Canada Mobility.  Everything went very smooth and quickly.  My voice and text has worked flawlessly but today when I left home and tried to use Cellular data fro the first time, it would not work.

When I switch Cellular Data on in settings I see LTE come up after Public Mobile in the top left of the screen, but I cannot get email to update or any other internet access.  The messages I receive are "Could not activate cellular data network", with a sub message 

"You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

My Public Mobile account gives me 1GB of data access each month.  Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get it working?

Thanks for any advice

Check your overview page for your data under Data & Add-ons. If it's there then tell us the amounts. If you don't see it there then tell us what you have under the Plan Details.

IPhones have a wifi failover where if you lose wifi then it fails over to cell data. My bet is that you have used all your data.

Need Help? Let's chat.