Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User, Phone works, Data doesn't

Navier
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all.
Brand new user.
Currently a Virgin user but just bout the 6.5 gig plan from public to try it out.
I am receiving texts from Public Mobile but when I try to do anything online its says not connnected to internet
am I missing something here. Waited four hours since purchase thinking it was a timed thing
but still nothing.
I have a dual sim unlocked phone, thinking dual may not work I took out one. same results.
this is exactly why I did not want to port existing number until I knew it would work
any help?
thanks

but still nothing.Screenshot_2019-02-23-14-57-55[1].png

Edited by computergeek541:  removed first screenshot because it contained customer's phone number

28 REPLIES 28

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Navier wrote:

@wetcoaster Apparently it seems the free sim offer is expired. They put them on a couple times a year. I'll keep an eye out for it.

My apologies

When this is offered, my memory has it always being in-store only and the free sim cards are usually offered in conjunction with weekend "flash" sales that also include a free 30 days of service (2nd complete cycle of 30 days).

@computergeek541 

What I was asking about, and what I believe @Navier replied to, is the offer of free ROAM Mobility SIM they mentioned earlier in this thread.

@Navier 

No worries, and thanks for the info - I was just not sure if I was missing something or looking at the wrong website.

@Navier wrote:

@wetcoaster Apparently it seems the free sim offer is expired. They put them on a couple times a year. I'll keep an eye out for it.

My apologies

When this is offered, my memory has it always being in-store only and the free sim cards are usually offered in conjunction with weekend "flash" sales that also include a free 30 days of service (2nd complete cycle of 30 days).

Navier

My apologies

@Navier wrote:

makes me wonder though if this is because I had already had this in my phone.
I'm not thinking so though.
My suggestion is for someone to just get the free sim from mobility sent to them online and try it

@Navier 

Thanks for following up and doing further testing.

Do you have a link to that free SIM offer? I can't find it in a quick search.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier wrote:

My suggestion is for someone to just get the free sim from mobility sent to them online and try it

Well...y'know...instant gratification and all that 🙂

Customer buys their PM SIM. Customer brings it home and activates it. Customer discovers that data is not working. Customer comes here for help. Customer learns that they can either temporarily use a Freedom or Roam SIM that they probably don't have or they use the redflagdeals link that wetcoaster recently linked to that might be a little more technical than they might be comfortable with.

So I vote go to a store and see if they'll let you put in a new SIM from one of those outfits. But I don't know if they'd let you do that.

Navier

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier wrote:

@Anonymousthis is a brand new Roam sim, never activated.
as you can see it has the plus sign to add a new APN

even it didn't work you can activate it for a txt only for 2.95 for a day
much cheaper than buying a month plan anywhere else

Thanks for testing that. So we knew Freedom from before and now Roam can be the workaround for Android 8.x. Interesting that it can be a new SIM. So that means one could go into a store and ask to insert one of those (if they'd let you 🙂 ) to be able to get to the APN settings. That *shouldn't* do anything to the SIM (famous last words).

Navier

@Anonymousthis is a brand new Roam sim, never activated.
as you can see it has the plus sign to add a new APN
Capture.JPG
even it didn't work you can activate it for a txt only for 2.95 for a day
much cheaper than buying a month plan anywhere else

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier wrote:

no it was one I used last year for 3 day trip to the states. it was expired sim card
I originally bought two from staples but I also recived to direct from roam mobitity.
not sure if needs to be previously registered or not as I used one that was previously enabled

@Navier 

Thanks for the reply. If I'm assuming what you have on hand correctly, I don't suppose you'd be willing to put in one of your other new never used Roam Mobility SIM's and see if you can get to the APN settings and add/edit something? Just to see.

Navier

no it was one I used last year for 3 day trip to the states. it was expired sim card
I originally bought two from staples but I also recived to direct from roam mobitity.
not sure if needs to be previously registered or not as I used one that was previously enabled

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier wrote:

it won't hurt to try
insert any old sim, go to network settings and apn. if you see a plus sign your golden.
another option is to just go to roam mobility website, they will send you a free sim, think I have 4 in total now from them

4 new?

Was it a new one you used?

Navier

it won't hurt to try
insert any old sim, go to network settings and apn. if you see a plus sign your golden.
another option is to just go to roam mobility website, they will send you a free sim, think I have 4 in total now from them

Navier

no my roam mobility was not active.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier 

Great stuff. Thanks for posting that.

Were either of those two old SIM's currently active or had they become dead and you would need to buy a new SIM for those carriers anyway (or do they allow re-use of old SIM's I suppose)?

I wonder if this workaround would work for a new Freedom SIM (or Roam) but not yet activated.

Navier

now to read up on how to port over after

@Navier wrote:

@wetcoasterand @popping 
thanks for advice and links. although it wasn't exact it led me in the right direction to find the right answer. Appreciate the quick replies.
going to like this place I see.
Do you think I should post my solution?
thanks again

@Navier 

Glad to hear that you figured it out.

Sure, if you wrote your steps down, post them (I assume what you posted in your previous post is a copy-paste...). There might be slight variations depending on the manufacturer as well.

Navier

@wetcoasterand @popping 
thanks for advice and links. although it wasn't exact it led me in the right direction to find the right answer. Appreciate the quick replies.
going to like this place I see.
Do you think I should post my solution?
thanks again

Navier

I figured it out.
forgot I had an old sim from roam mobility laying around.
took out public and inserted roam. it gave me the option to add an apn
saved it, inserted public, rebooted and voila

here is the process

SOme ppl were able to figure it out without any programming....

They used a sim where the company did not lock out the apn. I.e. Freedom mobile, Roam mobility (T-mobile). I was about to give up because i didnt have a freedom mobile sim hanging around until i reallized that i had a roam mobility sim hanging around...here's the solution:

the phone needs to have dual sims...

1. remove all sims ...reboot.
2. place freedom / roam mobility sim in.
3. add/create new profile ...then save
4. place fido sim
5. set fido sim as primary sim/default for internet, may need to disable the first sim
6. the add apn button will appear for FIDO! ...what a stupid bug in the first place
7. Add apn info for fido. Save
8. Root...
Fido sim now has the apn for ltemobile.apn.
and my results
Screenshot_2019-02-23-16-38-32[1].png

@popping wrote:

@Navier wrote:

strange just tried a different phone from different company same results. no way to edit apn
this one a ulefone power 5

1.  Do a network reset

2.  Turn off phone

3.  Wait one minute

4.  Turn phone on

This may initialize the APN.

If not, send a private message to moderator who may send you a file to initialize your APN.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

While it's worth a try, @popping's steps didn't work for me when I was in that situation.

For future reference, I would love to know if this is actually something the moderators can help with? To me this looks like the known Android 8.1 problem, not a Public Mobile issue...

@mo2368 wrote:

You need to go into cellular data settings on your phone and under that go under apn settings the put 

APN: isp.mb.com

and leave the rest blank. Save it then restart your phone 

The OP stated that Android 8.1 is being used and that the phone does not allow changes, nor does it allow a new APN to be added.

Further, the correct access point for normal ussage is sp.mb.com . isp.mb.com is for hotspot tethering.  There are also some cases where leaving all other settings blank doesn't work because the APN type had not been set.

mo2368
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You need to go into cellular data settings on your phone and under that go under apn settings the put 

APN: isp.mb.com

and leave the rest blank. Save it then restart your phone 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Navier wrote:

strange just tried a different phone from different company same results. no way to edit apn

1.  Do a network reset

2.  Turn off phone

3.  Wait one minute

4.  Turn phone on

This may initialize the APN.

If not, send a private message to moderator who may send you a file to initialize your APN.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Navier

The inability to add a new APN or modifying an existing one is a known Android 8.1 problem.

Other people have had success putting a Freedom SIM in, which seemed to have allowed them to add a new APN, fill in Public Mobile settings, reboot. Put Public Mobile SIM in.

(I think... For me playing with an active SpeakOut SIM eventually populated the Public Mobile APN settings, but I didn't write down the exact steps, sorry.) YMMV.

The relevant post https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h... in the big Android 8.1 APN thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715

Another way to deal with it: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708 (Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself. But have seen several reports that it works.)

Navier

8.1 and no plus to maually add.
this phone is a pain.
now I see why its indestructible for when ppl get pissed and throw it

@Navier wrote:

sorry about that wasn't even thinking about the number.
apn for some reason is greyed out,
its a poptel P60 from China, definitely works on telus and virgin, not sure why apn is uneditable.
figured this is where my problem lied.
Not sure of a work around, looking like buy a new phone or stay with virgin

Screenshot_2019-02-23-15-33-13[1].png

@Navier 

What OS is this phone?

Can you add a new APN?

Navier

sorry about that wasn't even thinking about the number.
apn for some reason is greyed out,
its a poptel P60 from China, definitely works on telus and virgin, not sure why apn is uneditable.
figured this is where my problem lied.
Not sure of a work around, looking like buy a new phone or stay with virgin

Screenshot_2019-02-23-15-33-13[1].png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Navier 

Curious that it *did* say Telus for the SIM. Speedy computergeek541 🙂 But anyway...

Find your phone on this list:
Officially Recognized APN Reference

If your phone isn't there maybe these might work:
APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc