cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User FAQ

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I realized many people ask similar Qs that are already discussed. So i thought making FAQ post might help them find already answered Qs.

This is just a draft and i will surely add more Qs.

Staff members please feel free to add additional details or edit if i am wrong and if this is helpful, please sticky it.

Top Six Frequently Asked Questions:

I joined Public Mobile before January 11, 2015. Is my service changing?

How do I set up data on my Public Mobile Android phone?
How can I make my payment online?
How do I register for online Self Serve?
Will my iPhone work?

Other General FAQ.

How do i contact Public Mobile?

If you are a PM Client before Jan 11, 2015, dial *611 on your phone that is registered with PM.

If you became client after Jan 11, 2015 and you can't find answer in community forums, click on this link: Contact Us and you will find Email away button at the bottom. That is the only communication support available at the moment. 

I am having following issue(s), what should i do?

1. Activation failure

2. Rate plan renewal failure

3. Port from Koodomobile and PC mobile

4. Double charge issues 

Follow Steps shown in this post: Click Here

How is Public Mobile Coverage?

Public Mobiles runs on Telus network/towers, so most likely where ever telus is available PM should work. Click Here to see PM's coverage map. 

Is Public Mobile Nation-wide?

Yes, If you select Canada-wide talk, all should work around Canada. Data is also Canada-wide. So if you travel across Canada, you should be able to use your plan normally as long as Talk is Canada-wide. 

Is Public Mobile Pre-Paid or Post-Paid or Monthly?

PM is a Pre-Paid service for 10 Days, 30 Days or 90 Days where you make payment before you start using your service. 

What is the different between Pre-Paid and Post-Paid?

Here is a great explanation with example: Click Here

What is the Major Differences between Monthly plan vs 30 Day Plan?

Monthly is where If your Billing date is the 4th, It stays the Same all year, every year.

Whereas 30 Day, Billing Date will NOT stay the Same all year.

Is it really FREE to order a Tri sim card?

Yes

I just got my sim card, now what?

Click Here to get activation started. Upon successful activation, your service is ready to use. 

How long does it take for my ordered sim to arrive?

It takes about 3-7 business days. If you do not get it after more than 10 business days, you may try to order again. 

If i select 90 Days plan, the data selected is for 30 days or 90 days?

Data on 90 Days plan are for 90 days. So for example, if you selected 1GB, you will have about 333 MB per 30 days. Of cource you can use all 1GB within 60 Days but you will not have any data left for remaining 30 days.

Why don't i have a choice to select my local area code number?

PM seems to be running out of local area numbers especially in Toronto (647) and Vancouver (604). Please try selecting cities near you and see if you get a choice. 

They will definitely add more soon or give you a choice to select newly added numbers. 

How to port my number and how long does it take?

During activation set-up you will be asked to either choose new number or port your number. Make sure to enter your account number from previous carrier. It will not go through without giving account number of the carrier you are porting from. 

Under normal circumstances, a successful porting from a cellular carrier is completed within 1 to 4 hours, as long as your account with the carrier that you are leaving is in good standing and paid up to date.

Note: if you are porting your number from Koodo/Telus, Use alternate Email instead of Same Email used on those accounts so that they avoid the Technical Pitfalls associated with them, and that only Edit their emails to their preferred email AFTER porting is Completed Successfully and Service begins without issue.

Can i select talk add-on if i did not select talk on my plan?

Talk add-on will not work if you do not have talk on your plan. 

Can i tether available data on my plan?

Yes, as long as your device supports tethering feature you can share your data with any other deivece. 

Click Here for more details.

Can i make changes to my current plan?

You can make changes BUT, the days you have left on current plan will not be credited. Means you will not get refund for what you already paid. Any unused days in the "old" plan will not be carried forward into the "new" one.

And you will have to pay upfront for the new plan. So the best time to change your plan is near renewal date. 

Will my add-on expire?

No, add-ons do not have expiry date. For example, if you purchased 1GB add-on, you will have that add-on until you completely used 1GB. 

How can i port out my number to different carrier?

Please ensure that your PC number is active for porting to go through. And please activate with a temporary number for now; once activated send an email using Contact Us link providing the following info

1. Your Public Mobile temporary number

2. Your PC Mobile number that you intend to port

3. Your PC mobile account number

4. Your PC mobile PIN #

How to earn rewards?

PM have great ways to earn rewards that can be used to purchase add-ons or use it to pay your bill. Go on this page for more details: Click Here

Can i have multiple accounts to earn more rewards?

If you have more than One account, Community rewards can only be applied on primary account, while Loyalty, Auto-Pay and Refer-a-Friend rewards covers all your accounts. 

I have an idea on how PM can improve their service, where can i share my idea?

You can post your ideas here: Click Here

I did not find Qs here, what can i do?

Please post on this community explaining your problems with details and i am sure members will try their best to help you.

36 REPLIES 36

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @ThatSeaOtter, Please do NOT change the plan with immediate effect.  You will have to pay for new plan all over again and the money you paid yesterday will be gone.  Since you are new, email Public mobile with your request.  They may change it and ask you to top up the difference.

Otherwise, you can buy the $8 add-on that will allow 200 minutes of out of province talk time.  Or $15 add-on for 400 minutes.  And from your next payment date, you can change the plan to the one that suits you better.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for creating this.  It will be very helpful to many new or potential customers.  

When you have time, Edit your post to add some of the good points that other users have pointed out in reply to your post.  

ThatSeaOtter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for posting a useful FAQ list! 

I'm searching for the answer to this question as I'm a new customer. Please let me know if you / anyone knows the answer...

I setup my plan 90 day plan yesterday and now realize that I require unlimited talk Canada wide rather than unlimited talk within my province. If I make the change effective immediately, do I just have to pay the difference of $15 versus paying $141 for what the new plan costs in total?

The wording of the confirmation message is confusing me.

Thanks!

makkhan28
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@NDesai, Great start. There is something's you forgot to add. If you have more than One account, Community rewards can only be applied on primary account, while Loyalty, Auto-Pay and Refer-a-Friend rewards covers all your accounts

And lastly, This being the most crucial, ppl porting a # from Koodo/Telus Prepaid, Use alternate Email instead of Same Email used on those accounts so that they avoid the Technical Pitfalls associated with them, and that only Edit their emails to their preferred email AFTER porting is Completed Successfully and Service begins without issue. This is the One issue that seems to be overlooked, since systems are Shared, so Public Mobile needs to have a Disclaimer advising pending PM Clients porting their #'s from these 2 prepaid carriers to use an alternate email for porting process only. 

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@NDesai  Great post!  Just one small addition re porting.  "...a successful porting from a cellular carrier is completed within..."  Porting of a landline number may take up to 14 business days, although it is usually much faster.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

This is excellent! You're to be commended on the time and effort expended in creating this post. Thank you!

One correction: According to Public Mobile, it takes 3 to 7 business days, rather than 5 to 7 business days, for a SIM card to be delivered by regular postal mail. For instance, I received mine in 3 business days.

One addition: When changing from one plan to another before the "old" plan's renewal date, any unused days in the "old" plan will not be carried forward into the "new" one.

Cheers.

Need Help? Let's chat.