cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ulefone power 5 cant receive cell service.

buzzzman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Happy Holidays everyone. I need some help please. I bought a ulefone power 5 from china of course.

I am having problems receiving cell service on my phone. I am getting data and text messages but I can not use calling. I am currently on a 3g plan and when I search neyworks all I see is public mobile 4g. I am able to connect to it but I can not use my cell service.

Can someone help me please understand if I upgrade to a 4g package will my service be 100 percent again?

Public mobiles use these bands;

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands:
4G LTE and LTE Advanced
700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS)

HSPA
850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

Ulefone accepts these bands;

My phone

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009397994078.html?wid=1817324

4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz

I am at a loss here because I am not sure if my upgrade to a 4g network with correct my issue.

Thank you all for your time.

15 REPLIES 15

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@buzzzman, you bought a phone that won't work on Telus (or Bell) in Canada for voice calls.  In the meantime, get the app Fongo installed, and select a free number to call across Canada and the US for free.

Just a heads up - Canada is free, but US is not free with Fongo (have to add World Credits).  😉

rbeckins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It may be a little late in response but I had similar problem with my Ulephone Vienna.

It was corrected by going to settings and changing network mode to 3G priority  instead of 4G priority (default) after settings change turn phone off and on it should connect to network properly. After this you can go back to 4G priority and it will work fine. It just has to be forced to 3G for initial connection.

This was my experience thought it was worth a try.

buzzzman

I have data on my phone. The phone does tell me all calls are being fowarded through Telus. At the top of my phone it says I am connected to PM. I did forward all my calls before, so it was already active when I setup my crappy nice phone with superman specs. 

Are your calls going through to the MagicJack successfully?  If you don't have access to the 3G network, I'm not certain they will forward correctly.  Maybe you set it up previously to do this?

buzzzman

I have the magic jack app installed on my phone. I just forwarded my cell number to it. I am happy I checked with you guys before I upgraded my plan. I have a great 3g plan.

thanks again.

@buzzzman, you bought a phone that won't work on Telus (or Bell) in Canada for voice calls.  In the meantime, get the app Fongo installed, and select a free number to call across Canada and the US for free.

When you're able to, get another phone to do it directly on the phone.

buzzzman

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I bought a lemon.

The device *may* work on Chatr or one of the other Rogers brands.  Unfortunately, calls will not work on this service.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@buzzzman wrote:

For a phone on a 4g plan to get cell service you need to have the phone work on PM 3G 850MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies? I thought 4g used different frequencies for its cell service.

Thanks for being patient.

PM uses 3G for calls.  Period.  The 4G/LTE plan only changes the speed of your data.  PM still uses 3G for calls for the 4G/LTE plan.

buzzzman

For a phone on a 4g plan to get cell service you need to have the phone work on PM 3G 850MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies? I thought 4g used different frequencies for its cell service.

Thanks for being patient.

Will my phone not work for cell,  text and data on Band7-2600MHz?

popping

@buzzzman wrote:

Your IMEI - 358*************
Power 5
****Your device should work on our Network.***** Is it saying it will work on PB 4g lte network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

Some international grey market devices may only be able to support hardware connection to some radio frequencies and not others. In these cases, the phone won’t work in the areas with incompatible frequencies.
4G LTE and LTE Advanced

HSPA
850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

You phone does not support the PM 3G 850MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies needed for PM voice call.

buzzzman

Your IMEI - 358*************
Power 5
****Your device should work on our Network.***** Is it saying it will work on PB 4g lte network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

Some international grey market devices may only be able to support hardware connection to some radio frequencies and not others. In these cases, the phone won’t work in the areas with incompatible frequencies.
4G LTE and LTE Advanced

HSPA
850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

popping

@buzzzman wrote:

Thank you.

Will upgrading to a 4g plan fix my issue for no cell service?

It is the hardware issue with Ulefone power 5.  Switching to a 4G/LTE plan with not fix the problem.since your data is working on LTE.

buzzzman

Thank you.

Will upgrading to a 4g plan fix my issue for no cell service?

popping

@buzzzman

PM uses 3G 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies for voice calls.  The Ulefone power 5 supports only 900Mhz and 2100Mhz 3G.

You masy ask why you cannot use 2G/GSM to make calls.  PM does not support 2G/GSM.  Only Rogers network supports 2G/GSM in Canada. 

Therefore, you cannot use your Ulefone power 5 to make calls.

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands: 4G LTE and LTE Advanced

HSPA

850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

Need Help? Let's chat.