cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM not working (new number - no service)

vikk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got a phone and SIM from Public and activated the SIM online, selected a new number, set up self-serve account, charged the phone and when inserting the SIM it doesn't have any service, I don't get any network connection in any phones (tried inserting the SIM in several mobiles to see whether the issue was with the SIM or the phone).

Basically the phone lists: Netwrok: Unknown, Phone number or SIM: Unknown, Mobile network state: Disconnected, Service Satus: Out of Service, Signal Strength: 0, etc. 

What can I do to get it working?

18 REPLIES 18

Tanvi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi can you please give me the number of customer service I bought new sim but there is no network. 

@computergeek541 good to know.

Since all service was unknown. Thought it might need wifi, forgot the password phone can operate on 3G.

vikk

Yes, I have got a new number, they have transferred my plan and I have re-registered with the new number & same SIM - it's all working fine now. Thank you again to the community. 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@vikk :Keep giving us updates on getting everything to work, hopefully everything will be fixed soon, when it all figured out don't forget to mark your thread here as solved by choosing one of the above posts as your accepted solution by clicking on the accepted solution button above the post that helped you most - doing so well help others in future with similar problem you had.

vikk

Just as an update for all of you who were curious - the number I got was already in use and caused this issue, so I was offered another number and need to create a new account. They will transfer my paid plan to this number, so hopefully it will all work fine after that. 🙂

vikk

That's a good point, hope I did not miss it, I can double check as I copy pasted from somewhere - so need to check again that what I copied was indeed correct from actual the SIM. I have tried in other phones that work, seem it is the SIM for sure. Thanks for all of your help, appreciate the quick responses and support. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikk : What are the chances you mis-typed the SIM #? Unfortunately, all we can see is the last 4 digits under Change SIM after activating. A risky thing would be to go through with the Change SIM and see what happens. But totally at your own risk and cost. I'm sure the moderators would know the whole registered SIM # if you ask them but that takes time.

@vikk wrote:

Got the phone from Public mobile and have tried the SIM in another phone, same issue. 

@vikk 

It's time to open a ticket. Here's the link for that.  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

@BKNS27 

Wi-Fi is not needed to use Public Mobile service, nor would be connected to it prevent the service from working.  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@vikk  did you check to see if your new phone is link to your home wifi?

Turn off the phone the insert the SIM and rebooting the phone.

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Maybe, but it's good you opened a ticket, just in case. Maybe you just missed a step, somewhere along the way. Have you tried restarting the phone altogether? Sometimes, the phone just needs to reboot with the new information.

Can you try different working sim in that phone and the sim in a different phone that works for sure and it's unlocked.

You should figure out if it's the phone or sim/service

vikk

Maybe I'll just have to wait it out then, I literally just activated it about 30 min ago... Am I being impatient? Haha... I have sent a ticket to a moderator just in case, very keen to start using the phone.

vikk

Got the phone from Public mobile and have tried the SIM in another phone, same issue. 

Oracle365

Yeah, @vikk mentioned in their original post that they have tried putting the SIM in other phones to see if it would work and it didn't.

softech
Oracle
Oracle
..look like a phone issue.. what model is your phone?

do you have a 2nd phone you can try to put the SIM in and test?

Anonymous
Not applicable

first check it out your phone device is a unlocked
and if you have another device you can try it to put it in SIM , if is not working,

your phone device is a unlocked makr sure , i think you can do your phone a restart factory is better, or 

you need send a private message to @Moderator_Teamclicking here.

In your message put it, please include.

- your account number

- your phone number 

- your account PIN

- explanation to them nice Team and nice service 💐

Good Luck 🌸

Oracle365

How long ago did you complete your activation? I ask only because when I activated my SIM card, it took about 3 hours for everything to work. 

@vikk wrote:

I just got a phone and SIM from Public and activated the SIM online, selected a new number, set up self-serve account, charged the phone and when inserting the SIM it doesn't have any service, I don't get any network connection in any phones (tried inserting the SIM in several mobiles to see whether the issue was with the SIM or the phone).

Basically the phone lists: Netwrok: Unknown, Phone number or SIM: Unknown, Mobile network state: Disconnected, Service Satus: Out of Service, Signal Strength: 0, etc. 

What can I do to get it working?

As you got this phone from Public Mobile, that means that it is compatible.  I understand from your message that you've completed the activation process.  Ensure that the phone hasn't been set to 2g network by mistake.  If service still isn't working, it's time to contact the moderarors. Open a ticket by clicking on the assitance bubble near the bottom of your screen.

Need Help? Let's chat.