cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM card not working

dolgov-ma
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Moderator_Team My new SIM card is not working, shows no reception. I tried 3 different devices. I also sent you a private message on Friday, got not reply, sent another one a minute ago.

20 REPLIES 20

shiveringcoyote

The guy at Walmart already verified that your SIM card is working. So the cause must be your device: not compatible or not correctly setup. I also use a dual sim cell phone and according to my personal experience you could check your carrier network type and whether is there any call barring.

If I’m reading the linked page from your last post correctly, you do not have LTE access, and I’m not sure about the 3G status.

dolgov-ma

And yes, all the phones are unlocked AFAIK, at least they work with SIM cards from different carriers and countries.

dolgov-ma

I went to the very Walmart where I bought the SIM, the guy inserted it into his phone and it worked immediately.

However, still does not work in any of my phones (which are all purchased outside of Canada, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it?).

Here is one of them https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/G58CLp/htc-radar-c110e-htc-omega/public-mobile-... says should be compatible.

What the hell is wrong?!

etalaga

It usually takes a bit to work. That is what happened with me.

If not, message public or contact the company where you brought it from.

etalaga

Try messaging Pulbic Mobile

Tarah-gve

The sim certainly can be deffective that does happen.  Although even in my line of work I'd say rarely.

Did you buy the phone from someone or was it yours?

Do you know for certain if the device is unlock or not?

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Forgot to tell you that. The IMEI checker gives false positives so its result should not be trusted. Use https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/public-mobile-canada to check. Also, check if these devices are unlocked or not.

Defective SIM card rarely happens. If it does, you just ask a mod, which I assume you already did so. Wait patiently for a response.

Tarah-gve

Ya that's what I'm saying. You just start off when they answer by saying your a public prepaid

customerl. They go into that part of there system to look up your information.

dolgov-ma

@Tarah-gve Are you saying I call call Telus call centre to get support?!

dolgov-ma

Go to which store? I went to Walmart and they were not able to help.

My phone is dual SIM, for this one it shows TELUS when I go to SIM management (i.e. the phone sees the SIM card). But in upper right corner of the main screen it just shows 0 reception (empty triangle), whereas for the second SIM it shows G and a full triangle. I tried swapping the two SIMs, same result.

Tarah-gve

No sorry what I was asking if the SIM card number matches the one you have activated.

I have had that happen before at work you scan in the incorrect number and I have had to call in to get them to change it to correct sim number.

And again you call Telus they also deal with Public

dolgov-ma

1. Yes, at least one of the devices is compatible (I checked by IMEI)

2. New number

3. When I call it from another number, it goes to voicemail

Tarah-gve

So you can't send or recieve messages or voice calls?

You may have to go in store to have a look I have done that for people before or you can call in and confirm the SIM number matches the one public has on file.

Do you see Public in the top left corner of your phone?

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dolgov-ma wrote:

I cannot check my self-serve account because in order to sign-up for it, I need to receive an SMS to my phone, which is not working. But it was activated at Walmart by the salesperson, I have printout that says "activated"

• Are your devices compatible to PM? (You can list your devices and we can look them up for you.)
  • New number or ported an existing number?
  • What's the response when trying to call your number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dolgov-ma, I think you will just need to wait for the moderators to get back to you so that this can be straitened out.  Current wait times can be as much as 48 hours.

dolgov-ma

I cannot check my self-serve account because in order to sign-up for it, I need to receive an SMS to my phone, which is not working. But it was activated at Walmart by the salesperson, I have printout that says "activated"

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dolgov-ma, are you able to check your self serve account to make sure the activation has been successful?  Otherwise, the moderator team is the right place to seek support.  Their response time is around 48 hours.  Hopefully they will get back to your sometime today.

dolgov-ma

And I cannot create a self-serve account because guess what - I cannot receive the SMS with the code.

Need Help? Let's chat.