cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Comers to Canada - Quick guide

haiderkhero
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

One of the surprises for new comers in Canada is expensive and confusing mobile phone plans. When I arrived here 2015 I was overwhelmed with cellphone plans starting from $40 and going up to $120 and even more, different terms, conditions and offers not easy to understand. 

After a couple of years in Canada I finally sorted this out and now I am sharing this quick and easy guide for all new comers to Canada. 
I suggest, as a new comer, you should NEVER get into a contract or Monthly billing, although discount plans and new shiny phones for Zero dollar sound quite fascinating but starting slow is always the best policy, so, bring your own device or as we say up here BYOD and Stay on Prepaid. 

Now that you have your phone with you, next question is which service provider to go with. There are three major providers in Canada. Bell, Rogers and Telus, but Wait! There and second and third tier service providers as well, like Virgin Mobile, Fido, Koodo, Lucky Mobile, and you would also find some other brands like Seven Eleven and Real Canadian Super store selling their own SIM cards, but just to let you know 99% of mobile brands are either on Bell, Rogers or Telus (Big Three) network in the background. 
To make it easy for you to understand, Virgin and Lucky Mobile are on Bell network, Fido and Chatr are subsidy of Rogers, Koodo and Public mobile are on Telus’s network.

Alright, let’s go to the final part, which network?  After changing many SIMs and providers for myself and my family, switching from Contacts to Monthly billing and prepaid, I recommend Public Mobile for your mobile service needs as a new Canadian. It’s on Canada’s largest Bell network, there are no “Zone” restrictions  (Yes, that’s something even more confusing, so forget it) and plans are extremely affordable. You will get a lot of rewards and discounts not only at the time of sign up but throughout your journey with Public Mobile. 

You can order your SIM online www.publicmobile.ca  and activate it yourself, or visit Wall mart, Super Store or any mobile booth located inside malls and buy your SIM for $10 and make sure you check new plans and promotions before you activate, chances are that you will get your SIM for free through one of the promotions. 

Also, they have a wonderful Refer a friend reward program, if you provide reference code of someone already with Public Mobile you will get an instant discount of $10 to $50 (depending upon active promotion), it will also take $1 off your friend's bill each month as long as you stay with public mobile. Don't  miss it. 

Have a prosperous life in Canada. 

13 REPLIES 13

@haiderkhero  Great job on your post! And you learned a few things just by posting (no referral code on the forum). One shouldn't ask, offer or post referral codes publicly in the community what you do in private messaging is exactly that private. Mind you you still can't use profanities or be inappropriate but most people have a moral compass. @Ed404  gave some good constructive criticism something I get all the time because I have a tendency to write long posts lacking enough spacing or paragraphs for many readers. Members are very visual so just keep that in mind. If you post similar to me and end up catching the *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug  i can supply the link to find them....and the only way to release them is to screenshot or rewrite them.... Which will usually means they'll disappear again so just screenshot them and add it to a new post. Editing too much/ long posts contribute to the *poof* so try not to edit more than once and if you have to explain a lot of things just do a follow up post and edit the original ( Edit: see the follow up.) You could do that with your post this time to explain the referral codes, address comments,  my comment: should be telus/bell or Bell/Telus network...(not just Bell )and anything else you might want to add etc.... Otherwise.. keep contributing I think you can bring a unique perspective to the community and the more diverse we are the stronger, richer and greater we become. I will look forward to your next post!    darlicious

As a gesture of support I have purposely written my post with no spacing or paragraphs. However I am working on correcting that...and I do appreciate constructive criticism. I've had some great mentors here....they know who they are....you will too.  thank them .....occasionally lol

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Great post! Very informative!

My advice would be to format it better instead of it being one giant text wall. Adding another space between paragraphs would do wonders for it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nvm

haiderkhero

Ok I figured it out. Thanks

haiderkhero

How can I "Unsolve" it? I mean leave it unmarked. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@haiderkhero  is there a reason you marked one of the replies as a solution?  There was no question nor problem. It was basically just a fyi post.

It might be best to leave this post without a solution.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Great review.  However, I would say this applies to everyone, not just new comers.  

haiderkhero

I removed it already 🙂 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@@

haiderkhero

Done. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

That's great info and suggestions for new comers. I think PM kinda frowns on soliciting for referals in the Community Forum area. It'll likely be deleted if you don't. Thanks again.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You should remove your referral code as it is a violation of terms of service.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Please edit your post by clicking the three dots on the right hand side of your post and erase your referral code. It's against the terms and conditions of these forums. 

Need Help? Let's chat.