cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BYOD set up Problem

Jfsuppa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there. 

I would like to set up a public mobile account with my own device.

when trying to register, my SIM card number.  It wasn’t accepted since it has 20 digits instead of 19.  

id like to keep my current phone number.

please advise.

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

Then port it by creating a ticket with moderator..

@Camera4617 

Customers can transfer a number from outside Telus/Koodo using the Change number function after activation.

In both cases; at activation or after, transferring from Telus/Koodo needs the mods.

@Anonymous  Good to know. Tnx

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Camera4617 wrote:

Then port it by creating a ticket with moderator..

@Camera4617 

Customers can transfer a number from outside Telus/Koodo using the Change number function after activation.

In both cases; at activation or after, transferring from Telus/Koodo needs the mods.

@customer3 : All providers need their own SIM. Then you go through the activation process with it. Leave the Bell SIM in so you can receive the confirmation text when you transfer. Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 credit.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You will need to buy Public Mobile SIM card and since you want to keep your number, you can initiate port from Bell when activating PM sim card. 

Another option is (that's what I did') is to activate SIM card without porting and try service for few days to ensure you are happy with it (I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be but just in case). Then port it by creating a ticket with moderator..

Then you need to port your number from Bell to PM. You need some help. 

@customer3 wrote:

correct

You need a Public Mobile SIM card.

customer3

correct

@customer3 are you porting from Bell?

Your response sounds like you are entering Bell SIM card number on PM account.

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@customer3  Hi there, from your recent post, are you saying the SIM card is from BELL?  You need a Public Mobile SIM card to work on this network.  

customer3

No

it's from BELL

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@customer3 @

try this online activation Live Chat

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en 

(not sure if they closed for tonight yet.. if so, you can try tomorrow..)

did you SIM card number starts like the picture above??

customer3

same issue

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Jfsuppa wrote:

Hi there. 

I would like to set up a public mobile account with my own device.

when trying to register, my SIM card number.  It wasn’t accepted since it has 20 digits instead of 19.  

id like to keep my current phone number.

please advise.

Hi @Jfsuppa the new Activation Portal is easy to use.  You are already given the first 10 digits of your sim card number, you just need the post the last 9 digits.  

sim card number new activation portal.png

I hope this helps

RosieR

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Jfsuppa 

If it's a Public Mobile SIM card, it will have 19 digits in the following grouping order, 5 digits + 5 digits + 5 digits + 4 digits.

There are usually repeating zeros in the number - make sure you haven't entered one additional.

EDIT: Like @Anonymous already indicated...

Musirio

Hey Hey! Are you sure it's a full 20 digits? All sims only have 19!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jfsuppa : Try not using one of the zeros in the set of zeros in the middle. Not sure if that'll work but might be worth the try. Are you absolutely certain it's a Public Mobile SIM?

Also, don't forget to use a referral code to get a $10 credit in your account.

And you'll be able to transfer your number over if not with Telus or Koodo during this activation. Leave your old SIM in until you get a text asking for confirmation.

Need Help? Let's chat.