Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Activation + Polariod Flip Phone

chris_j11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated my plan in Walmart

Phone - Polariod A2 Flip-phone

The new sIM does not work

I just tried Rogers and Zoomer (CityPhone) sims on the Polariod flip-phone and both worked, able to call and received SMS - this proved that the phone is unlocked

I tried the new Public Mobile sim on a Android and Iphone and it worked, able to call

What am i missing?

The Polariod flip-phone does not have a lot of settings to play with

Thanks in Advance

15 REPLIES 15

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

To confirm, can you get the IMEI number of the flip phone and run it through the PM IMEI checker? More details here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/IMEI-Checker/td-p/442

@mh1983

Please remember that Public Mobile's IMEI checker only shows if the phone is black listed. It is NOT reliable for compatibility and has returned false positives in the past.

Use of willmyphonework.net is recommended for compatibility checks.

Thanks for the info check @wetcoaster!

@RobertQc, @Anonymous,

a couple years ago I was researching Videotron's offerings as they had the unlimited music streaming plans.  They're partnered with Rogers for roaming purposes.

Almost a Rodtron name??

@mh1983 wrote:

To confirm, can you get the IMEI number of the flip phone and run it through the PM IMEI checker? More details here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/IMEI-Checker/td-p/442

@mh1983

Please remember that Public Mobile's IMEI checker only shows if the phone is black listed. It is NOT reliable for compatibility and has returned false positives in the past.

Use of willmyphonework.net is recommended for compatibility checks.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

RogDo. lol Never heard that one. Heard of Bellus. Wouldn't it really just be Rogers with sub-brands and leasers under them?

@AnonymousThats a good question, since Rogers is really the owner. But there was a time some of the current Rogers network, was not owned by Rogers. I thought that there was a time Fido (micraecll) was a seperate network, maybe I need to do some research but I thought Rogers actually purchased fido but kept their name / customers seperate, but now they share and use the same network, at one point they were completely seperate. So some of the towers were initially built by fido. So unlike chatr, citiphone, koodo, virgin etc who all only used other networks, Fido used to actually be there own. So I do still think of it like that. Although once the final gsm towers are shut off, moving forward fido will completely be on the rogers network, or will still some of the old fido gsm towers be repurposed for 4G+ ? I don't know.

Here is a tiny bit of the Microcell, Fido (city Fido) history on their own website.  Fido and Rogers do not run "separate" networks that are stitched together like Bellus does. 

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/aboutus

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Polaroid flip phone is only able to work on 2G networks. It's a 2G phone. It will never work on Public Mobile. Must read what frequencies it uses before buying.

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It seems like your flip phone is not compatible with Telus/PM. I would suggest you purchase another phone. If budget is a concern, consult Kijiji and you may be able to find a cheaper phone.

cheers,

mj23

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc

Fair enough. Stands to reason.

I hardly think towers are coming down. Just the transceivers on them getting swapped out I would think.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

RogDo. lol Never heard that one. Heard of Bellus. Wouldn't it really just be Rogers with sub-brands and leasers under them?

@AnonymousThats a good question, since Rogers is really the owner. But there was a time some of the current Rogers network, was not owned by Rogers. I thought that there was a time Fido (micraecll) was a seperate network, maybe I need to do some research but I thought Rogers actually purchased fido but kept their name / customers seperate, but now they share and use the same network, at one point they were completely seperate. So some of the towers were initially built by fido. So unlike chatr, citiphone, koodo, virgin etc who all only used other networks, Fido used to actually be there own. So I do still think of it like that. Although once the final gsm towers are shut off, moving forward fido will completely be on the rogers network, or will still some of the old fido gsm towers be repurposed for 4G+ ? I don't know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@chris_j11 wrote:

I just tried Rogers and Zoomer (CityPhone) sims on the Polariod flip-phone and both worked, able to call and received SMS - this proved that the phone is unlocked

I tried the new Public Mobile sim on a Android and Iphone and it worked, able to call

What am i missing?

Thanks in Advance

@chris_j11Be warned, rogers is only temporarily allowing that phone to work on there network before shutting down those gsm towers, its a network provided as-is. It's time to upgrade your phone even if you go back to rogers.

Ps rogers, zoomer, citiphone are all still on the rogers+fido network.

There are really 2 major networks in canada

Rogers+Fido (RogDo)

Bell+Telus (Bellus)

Most of the other networks like koodo, citifone, chatr, petro wireless, 711, etc all still run on either RogDo or Bellus

Except where sasktel or Freedom wireless,etc has a few of their own towers, but across canada everywhere else they still are on either RogDo or Bellus

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chris_j11 wrote:

What am i missing?

Thanks in Advance

Polariod A2 Flip-phone is a GSM only phone.  In Canada, only Rogers network supports GSM.  PM does not support GSM.  That is the reason why Polariod A2 Flip-phone does not work with your PM SIM card.

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Unlocked-Bluetooth-Worry-Free-12-Month/dp/B01GULYI4Q

Anonymous
Not applicable

I vote not compatible with Public Mobile.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@chris_j11 It looks like that phone might not be compatible on Public Mobile's 3G and LTE network. Rogers still offer 2G network and that might be the reason that sim is working. 

Need Help? Let's chat.