cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 3 G speeds,

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anyone use 3 G on Pm .  How good is it . Can u watch video .  

14 REPLIES 14

David01

Thanks. The 3G may be a good thing as just watching a half hour video (LTE) used 355 MB lol. 

@David01wrote:

Does anyone know if the 3G speeds kick in right away or not? I used to have a 4G plan, that’s why I’m asking. I heard it could take time to change. Because the speeds I experienced on this plan on my first day of the 3G plan were great 👍🏻 Hopefully that’s reflective of what I should expect going forward. 

No, it does not kick in right away. You will have to wait 24-48 hours. And you will stay on LTE signal if you are connected to LTE towers. The speed just throttled to 3mbps and while testing that i did not find any problems with normal usage. 

David01

Does anyone know if the 3G speeds kick in right away or not? I used to have a 4G plan, that’s why I’m asking. I heard it could take time to change. Because the speeds I experienced on this plan on my first day of the 3G plan were great 👍🏻 Hopefully that’s reflective of what I should expect going forward. 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@David01, I believe that you will continue to see LTE.  Remember that PM simply throttles the speed for 3G plans.  If you can't connect to an LTE tower / signal, then you will lose the LTE indicator

David01

Today is day #1 for me on 3G. No issues so far. YouTube streamed perfectly with no buffering. However, I read somewhere recently that it may take a couple days for the speed to go from my old 4G plan to 3G and the indicator still reads LTE. Hopefully it stays this perfect lol 

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@guinness22wrote:

I mean anyone with real experience of using 3G.   hey anyone there using it daily and happy.  

I've been on a 3G plan for almost two cycles (180 days) and no issues whatsoever. For my day to day use it is reliable, I have more data, and even for tethering it does a decent job. When I was on an LTE plan before, speeds were faster, but it was also easier for a runaway app or an accidental click to result in losing a lot of data within seconds (as mentioned above).

In real world experience, I see LTE speeds as only needed for specialty users who are willing to pay a premium for more data and higher speeds. The average email, music streaming and occasional video user will probably do quite alright with 3G speeds.

As always, YMMV...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@David01wrote:

Haven't used 3G with PM. However I've used the equivalent with other companies and it's okay. Videos will buffer as you won't have sufficient speeds for viewing but it's okay for web browsing. It's usually 3.5G, or HSPA+ most companies use for their 3G services. If you're looking for streaming video, spending the extra money may be worth it, but totally your call. 

@David01 FYI PM delivers it over LTE, just capped to 3Mbps

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

David01

Haven't used 3G with PM. However I've used the equivalent with other companies and it's okay. Videos will buffer as you won't have sufficient speeds for viewing but it's okay for web browsing. It's usually 3.5G, or HSPA+ most companies use for their 3G services. If you're looking for streaming video, spending the extra money may be worth it, but totally your call. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@guinness22wrote:

Anyone use 3 G on Pm .  How good is it . Can u watch video .  

Let's note that 3G speed plans are actually LTE data capped to 3mbps/.5mbps up. 

Actually using real 3G on PM (with an LTE plan) got me 3-30mbps. But latency is probably slower/longer.

they really need to call it LTE Lite or capped LTE.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@guinness22 More real world experience in this thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Share-your-3G-plan-experiences-here-laten...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I would say that the latency  and the amount of the data included in your plan is usually more important than the pure speed (within reason) on a cell phone plan.   Because there is so little data included in cell phone and tablet plans (compared to home internet), there's usually only one person using the connection at a time, meaning that you don't have other users in your household slowing your connection down.  In a way, the slower speeds, help you to control your bandwidth usage.  With higher speeds, it's so much easier to use up your entire data bucket within hours (or even minutes depending on the speed and how much data you have).

@guinness22wrote:

I mean anyone with real experience of using 3G.   hey anyone there using it daily and happy.  

Yes, i have used for testing purposes and everything worked just fine. The lower speed of 3mbps doesn't interfere with most contents including HD videos. The link i included has a video i made to test basic browsing and playing video so have a look.  

guinness22

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Read for more info here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/3G-vs-4G-LTE-What-speed-is-right-for-y...

Need Help? Let's chat.