cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never called a number but got a return call

maiva
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got a call from a man saying that he is returning my call but I have never called this number. Is my number still safe?

14 REPLIES 14

maiva

Thank you Everyone for your advice and suggestions! All has been very helpful and I appreciate it a lot.

Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different number than the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device. 

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

Keeping your contact list up to date is very important as most calls that are NOT in your contacts list will show a phone number ONLY and that will tip you off, that the caller may be unknown to you. 

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1600799912839.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@maiva wrote:

How does the change of number work? Does the number changes permanently (or until the next time I decide to change it) and then I need to change it everywhere I am using it? 

@maiva   Changing numbers doesn't guarantee that you stop getting spam calling.  Unfortunately spam calling is automated and your new number will also eventually start receiving these types of calls again.  The best feature with smart phones today is to be able to just block numbers you feel are suspicious, but even that doesn't stop spammers as they use several different numbers to call you from. 

@Triguy wrote:

You can change your phone number in your self serve account.  You can change it once every 30 days.

DON'T change your number. Learn to have a complete contact list and learn how to block callers. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@maiva wrote:

I just got a call from a man saying that he is returning my call but I have never called this number. Is my number still safe?

Your number was spoofed by one of those CRA, Windows, etc scammers. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@maiva That is correct. If you change it, you will have to let everyone and everywhere you use the old number know of the change. Let it go for now, see if it becomes an issue before you take the step of changing numbers.

@maiva wrote:

How does the change of number work? Does the number changes permanently (or until the next time I decide to change it) and then I need to change it everywhere I am using it? 

You can change to a new number but that's your new number....you'd have to let everyone know that new number.

You won't get the old number back again.

@maiva wrote:

Thanks All for replying so quickly! It happened for the first time but I will keep an eye in the next days.

Try to get into this habit >>>> if you don't recognize the calling number, just let it go to voicemail. Then you can call them back if it proves to be a legit caller.

maiva

maiva

Thanks All for replying so quickly! It happened for the first time but I will keep an eye in the next days.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@maiva   You can block any unsolicited numbers if you feel they may be scams or spamming, especially if they become nuisance calls.  I don't bother answering any calls unless I recognize the number or they are in my contacts.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can change your phone number in your self serve account.  You can change it once every 30 days.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@maiva 

Your number just got spoofed my a scam caller. It happens all the time. It can just be inconvenient if every one called by your spoofed number calls you....."back."

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@maiva wrote:

Could be he got mixed up...or it could be he's fishing....or it could be you pocket dialed him. Wait to see if it's a chronic problem before worrying.

Need Help? Let's chat.