cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network question 3G or LTE

Gunner1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys I'm new here thinking of getting public mobile phone as a secondary phone. Im with Telus mainline and have been for many years. My question is it states that Public mobile works with 3G only but other users in other forums say it goes onto the LTE network is that true or false? 

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrouthier wrote:

It does go into LTE, I have been with Public for over a year and it is almost ALWAYS on LTE. It very rarely goes to 3G. 

@vrouthier 

An easy way to see the effect is if you're in a weak spot where you're not getting very many bars. If your phone is set on LTE and others (not just LTE and not 3G variants) then while it's sitting there waiting, call your phone from another phone. It will suddenly find more bars if not solid on and start ringing. Then after the call, it will go back to fewer bars. The more bars is the phone jumping to 3G to take the call.

@vrouthier wrote:

It does go into LTE, I have been with Public for over a year and it is almost ALWAYS on LTE. It very rarely goes to 3G. 

Unless you're on a data-only plan or almost never make or receive phone calls, this wouldn't be the case.  Phone calls must be me done on the HSPA+(3g) network.

vrouthier
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Gunner1 

It's important to remember public mobile is on the telus network so your coverage will be the same. The only difference is you won't recieve full 4G data speeds. Dont forget to use a friends referral code for a $10 credit and to sign up for autopay for the $2 reward/credit off your plan.

Gunner1

I plan on using it as a secondary work phone so as not to give out my personal cell phone number to certain people. I probably won’t use much if any data. But at these prices having 2 GB is fine. I’ve always been with the main carriers Rogers and Telus to be precise. I don’t have issues with either and have old grandfathered plans so my prices are insanely cheap. Unfortunately I can’t add phones to those plans without having to change all my plans to the new ridiculously expensive ones they all offer. We all know the Big Mobility price fixing game in Canada plans keep getting more expensive with less offered!! ( by the big 3) 

Vetiver

I live remotely and regularly receive LTE service, occasionally 3G and, 4G if I go into Vancouver.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Gunner1 .... What exactly is your purpose of the secondary phone?

If you need any data, i would stay away from 7-11 SP, PM is the better choice. 

If your going to make a fair number of calls and text alot, PM is the better choice. 

If you need to do mms PM is the better choice.

If you strickly going to use it the secondary phone as a emergency phone for a few calls and a few texts per month, and no data....and you dont want to spend a lot of money SP is the better choice. This is my opinion as I was with SP before I came to PM. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gunner1 Public Mobile has a Quebec offer too. They are offering 30$ Monthly plan 28$ with autopay with 2GB of data and unlimited text and picture. Its for new signups only. What exactly are you doing on this "Second Phone" I wouldn't need data on a second phone. If anything a second phone for me would be a 7/11 speakout phone.

Gunner1

Ok thanks all. I'm from Quebec and Videotron has a great offer with their fizz brand its less expensive than Public and offers more but not to get political (as the founder and current gentleman running Videotron were and are) I cannot well a clear conscious give them a nickel of my money or support their personal values. 😉 Thanks again and please all stay safe!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Gunner1 wrote:

Hi guys I'm new here thinking of getting public mobile phone as a secondary phone. Im with Telus mainline and have been for many years. My question is it states that Public mobile works with 3G only but other users in other forums say it goes onto the LTE network is that true or false? 

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much your "secondary phone" exceeds your expectation.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gunner1 Its best to leave it on LTE. 3G may have better speeds on a speediest but the latency is high and its not consistent. Even though the LTE is throttled to 3 Download it still is faster than 15 download on 3G.

@Gunner1 When you get and activate your SIM, you can do a test. Automatically, it connect to LTE. Turn on your data and use speedtest website or any other website to test the speed of the internet. Then, go to your phone settings and force it to connect to 3G instead, and test the speed again. You will see the difference. But if you are not relying on data speed, it is up to you what to use 3G or LTE. There is no such a big difference.

What I did notice, with 1-2 signal LTE bars, my phone dies faster than with full 3G bars. So I use 3G because I live quite far from a good LTE signal. But I can't say for others, and what they face with their devices.

@Gunner1 wrote:

Ok so I'm better off being on 3G especially if at the time being I'm in a remote area with only 2-3 bars of LTE on my regular Telus phone. However based on what you are telling me data will be significantly slower to load than normal cellular is that correct?

@Gunner1  Best to leave your phone on auto. LTE Lite (Throttled to 3Mbps) is not slow and good for 99% of the tasks unless you want to view movies in 4K or livestream. Also, keep in mind that in most places LTE has better coverage and is less congested.

You won't notice a difference unless you are streaming 4k video or high quality music.  For most general use like surfing webpages and checking email there should no speed difference.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/3G-vs-LTE/m-p/304309#M82223

Gunner1

Ok so I'm better off being on 3G especially if at the time being I'm in a remote area with only 2-3 bars of LTE on my regular Telus phone. However based on what you are telling me data will be significantly slower to load than normal cellular is that correct?

Gunner1

That's great news! Thanks for you help. Will order sim right away. Stay safe! 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Gunner1 PM operates using Telus and Bells towers with LTE, but the speed is throttled to 3Mb/sec. Hint: if you force your phone to connect to 3G instead of LTE, you can increase your data speed up to 15-20mb/s

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Gunner1 wrote:

@Gunner1  Public uses both 3G (for calls, texts and data) and LTE (texts and data). If you connect via LTE it will automatically use 3G for calls and once the call has ended switch back to LTE.

You also have the option to set your device to use 3G only if you wish. (Not recommended if your device supports 4G).

Need Help? Let's chat.