cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network is insecure

N4CR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been getting notifications on my phone that the network is not connected, when I go to connect it I get sent to a webpage that says the network is insecure and wont connect. It's been a week, and when I finally realized my data was used up I purchased a $15 add on, was charged $44 for what ever reason, and my phone still doesnt work on the network, and now I cant even send texts. This customer service is absolutely horrible, I've submitted a "ticket" because there are no phone lines, and it's been days since. I use my phone to run my business, and needless to say I haven't been able to in a week. Unreal.....

25 REPLIES 25

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@N4CR wrote:

@geopublic  Holy crap regardless of the glitch it worked buddy!!! Thanks a million! I cant believe it was that easy, I thought I'd have to pay again with my card and was so worried it would happen again 

Well, it doesn't look like a glitch, but here is the option @geopublic is talking about that it seems you somehow unintentionally selected:

MakeAPayment.png

Since you are on the $40 plan, this would have added $40 to your available balance, and charged $40+tax to your credit card. The other option in the drop-down is "Other (Enter the desired payment amount)"

N4CR

Thanks everyone, seriously appreciate the help! 

N4CR

@geopublic  Holy crap regardless of the glitch it worked buddy!!! Thanks a million! I cant believe it was that easy, I thought I'd have to pay again with my card and was so worried it would happen again 

N4CR

So I never had a chance to back "in to" the payment screen, all I did was hit one button and it went to the main screen

N4CR

O I'm sure they will, I'm just screwed until they do. No matter what I seem to try my service is just shut down until my month rolls over... so not right 

System did not mess up. OP completed step 1 of purchasing and add-on by funding his account with$15. Instead of completing step 2 and adding the add-on to his account the OP went back into the payment screen and hit the amount owing button $25. So now he has $40 in is account. Just needs to go back in and purchase the add-on his balance will go down to $25 so on his next plan renewal he will get charged $15 to cover the cost of his plan renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@N4CR wrote:

Screenshot_20200625-160244_Samsung Internet.jpg

 Jesus Murphy.... I think I figured it out. I paid for a 15 dollar add on that I didnt receive, and somehow was auto charged without my authority for the "remainder" of my monthly bill. If that's the case, that's completely ridiculous. I went to the add on screen, selected 15 add on, and that's all I clicked... now I'm forced to try another 15 dollar payment just to use my phone until my month rolls over. How do I know this won't happen again?? Aaaargh 🤬 

@N4CR  - If the system messed up, and you were incorrectly charged, the moderators *will* 'make it right'. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Wow, that's definitely strange... well good news is you could now go ahead and try to purchase the $15 data add-on, and still have a $25 balance to go towards your next plan renewal.

Curious to hear what the mods respond with.

N4CR

Screenshot_20200625-160244_Samsung Internet.jpg

 Jesus Murphy.... I think I figured it out. I paid for a 15 dollar add on that I didnt receive, and somehow was auto charged without my authority for the "remainder" of my monthly bill. If that's the case, that's completely ridiculous. I went to the add on screen, selected 15 add on, and that's all I clicked... now I'm forced to try another 15 dollar payment just to use my phone until my month rolls over. How do I know this won't happen again?? Aaaargh 🤬 

N4CR

@gblackma I have popped the sim out, but I havent tried to put it in another phone. I'll try that now, I also did try that stolen phone thingy but came up empty, thank you for trying to help 

N4CR

@Anonymous Thank you, I have submitted a ticket, and someone has finally reached out so we shall see. It just takes a while to correspond with the Public Mobile people 

@N4CR  you could try switching the sim into another phone to determine if its the sim or thhe phone.

N4CR

Thing is, I do have the 40 dollar plan, and I refuse to pay 100 plus dollars a month to the greedy conglomerates lol. It was working just fine for over a year, and now all of a sudden this

Anonymous
Not applicable

@N4CR  - If you feel you have been over charged, you can contact the moderators to get it cleared up.  Alternatively, you can post a screenshot of your payment history (removing any personal info), and someone here will be able to de-scramble the (sometimes cryptic) info.

If I was using my phone as a business phone, I wouldn't go to the $25 plan and below. I would use the $40 plan and up. Although, I have been using my phone as a business, with the shutdown, my freelance kinda stopped too. For now, I downgraded my plan. But, once I am back-up jump it to $40 plan again.

@N4CR if your phone is crucial to your business, either go with a higher plan. Or better yet, go with a Telus, where you can get the face-2-face staffing needs. The main reason is the reliable service you can get with Telus, plus, it doesn't matter if you go with Telus or Public Mobile, as you can still write a percentage of your phone bill as an expense.

Saying this, I do find Public Mobile reliable.  And occasionally, there will be a network issue where it goes down, but that's across Canada. And every other cell provider has gone through one. Rogers had one that lasted more than a week!  

N4CR

Thank you for the information, unfortunately my account is not up for a renewal for a few days, so by all rights it should be working. As of a few minutes ago, I have been able to make calls again. My account is not on autopay, and I didnt select anything other than the add on, and my account is showing zero balance. I ususally have to make sure to select the 40 dollar plan I'm on, and I feel like if that were to happen strangely it wouldve been like 65 bucks that as withdrawn 

N4CR

lol My attitude is fine there sunshine, dont you dare get personal with me, I dont know you from a hole in the ground. The automated *611 of course tells me all of those things, all of which unfortunately dont help the situation. 

N4CR

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@N4CR wrote:

I have been getting notifications on my phone that the network is not connected, when I go to connect it I get sent to a webpage that says the network is insecure and wont connect.

When you have consumed all of your data, any web requests are redirected to a website that says you have used up all of your data. Apps other than browsers like email clients may be confused by the redirection and present a certificate error instead.

It's been a week, and when I finally realized my data was used up I purchased a $15 add on, was charged $44 for what ever reason, and my phone still doesnt work on the network, and now I cant even send texts.

It sounds like maybe the $44 is a result of the $15 add-on + a $25 monthly renewal + tax, but please login to your self-serve account, and look at your transaction history. It's possible that the 30-day plan "tried" to renew and charged your credit card, but failed to actually activate. In this case you may still have an unused balance showing in your self-serve account.

The other thing is that when purchasing the data add-on, it's a two step process. First you have to add the $15 to your account balance (via credit card payment, voucher, etc) and then you can purchase the add-on for use. Otherwise the $15 will remain in your account balance.

Since you indicate that now you cannot even send/receive texts, it sounds like an auto-pay failure occurred. Hopefully the moderator team can sort things out since you've already opened a ticket with them, but others have noted some things you can try in the mean time if your account balance has enough to cover a 30-day plan renewal. (Lost/Stolen trick, and/or add $1.00 to available funds)

@N4CR  It tells you if your account is active or not. It also tells you how much data you have left within your plan.

As for your attitude.....

N4CR

*611 is just automated garbage at tells me nothing, also I've done all of those things except claiming my phone is stolen 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@N4CR what plan are you on? What happens when you dial 611?

@N4CR

• Try force closing your texting app and restarting your phone.
  • If the above fails, try resetting your network settings and restart your phone if it doesn't automatically. Stay safe. By performing the steps below, the following are cleared or restored to default values: cellular and Wi-Fi network settings (including saved networks and passwords) and Bluetooth®
  • From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.
     These instructions only apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.
  • Navigate: Settings 

> General management > Reset.
  • Tap Reset network settings.
  • Review the info then tap Reset Settings.
     If presented, enter the current PIN, password, or pattern.
  • To confirm, review the info then tap Reset.

If the above fails, try the lost/ stolen trick. From your self service account enable the lost/ stolen feature log out, wait 5  minutes, log in and take it off. Log out and restart your phone. 20200504_182846.jpg

N4CR

Nope, had it for well or a year, and I have an S9+

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@N4CR is this a new activation?  Whats the make and model of your phone?  Thanks. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.