cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Negative* Data Usage

TP626
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Mostly I am just curious about this but, if something peculiar like the following happens where I can notice it, who is to say that it isn't happening somewhere else where it might get buried in some real usage information!

I am seeing something bizarre when I look at the detailed usage in my PM account. I don't know if PM is slowly trickling some sort of Reward into my account or something but I see a number of "0 MB" data usage entries in my usage (can't see any rhyme or reason for when they occur but that is beside the point, I think.) The bizarre thing is when I look at the summary of my account. I am on the $15 for 100 min + 250MB plan so, of course, I start out with 250MB available. However, as of right now, I have apparently used "-20.39551" MB (yes, that is a negative data usage!) and, so, have an available data balance of "270.396" MB.

This number seems to be bouncing around semi-randomly, since earlier today, I had used about -15 MB and a day or two ago it was at about -22 MB!

bizarre data usage.PNG

What the heck is going on here? Not that I am actually complaining about having more data available than I paid for but I'd like to get some sort of explanation. If nothing else, I'd hate to start dipping into that bonus data only to find that I've somehow gone into overdraft and have been charged (and auto-pay'ed) for it.

Thank,

Tim TP626

10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Somebody entered a wrong formula in the spreadsheet template. It's somehow subtracting non-billable Data (from MMS events/attachments) where it shouldn't.

Not sure if it's just display error or if it can actually be exploited for increased Data allocation. You could test it by transferring a few GB of msg attachments. Smiley Tongue

(Althoug I'm leaning towards mere display bug since PM billing is just a bolt-on layer of Telus billing, and Telus billing always knows exactly how much Data the Telus network has moved across your account.) 

@kselmak wrote:

Could it be that they are offsetting mms messages as they use up data but it's not counted against your allowance, so maybe the system drips back more than it should or rounds up, I'm sure it's cheaper for them to drip back couple of megs hear or there than deal with complaints 

But yeah as others have mentioned your autopay is only for renewal of your cycle nothing else. If you wish to buy an add-on autopay will not work for it, every withdrawal other then your plan renewal in 30 days would have to be initiated (authorised) by you, you will never be charged for something you didn't buy and if it happens by mistake (system is not bug free) you will get the credit back, the only thing you need to do is to contact the moderators about it

@kselmak   I don't think it has anything to do with MMS, as you noted that isn't counted against the plan data.  Plus I haven't sent out any MMS recently and this has only started occuring over the last few weeks.  Personally, I think it's connected to the roll out of the improvements (supposedly:)) of SIMon, of course I could be completely wrong about the connection to simbot:)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Could it be that they are offsetting mms messages as they use up data but it's not counted against your allowance, so maybe the system drips back more than it should or rounds up, I'm sure it's cheaper for them to drip back couple of megs hear or there than deal with complaints 

But yeah as others have mentioned your autopay is only for renewal of your cycle nothing else. If you wish to buy an add-on autopay will not work for it, every withdrawal other then your plan renewal in 30 days would have to be initiated (authorised) by you, you will never be charged for something you didn't buy and if it happens by mistake (system is not bug free) you will get the credit back, the only thing you need to do is to contact the moderators about it

barbiekangaroo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Telus refunds the negaitve data at the same rate you'd pay for data...

XD just kidding that would be hysterical and the world would burst into flames.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM  and  @hairbag1  were you able to quote OP's message?  I had to rewrite my message because it showed a blank message box after my first attempt.

Yes, but perhaps it could be another glitch (or delayed response)

It only seems to happens when trying to quote messages that contain any photos.  It's happened a couple time before too over the last couple of weeks.  Quoting text only seems to be fine.

Another PM glitch:)

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM  and  @hairbag1  were you able to quote OP's message?  I had to rewrite my message because it showed a blank message box after my first attempt.

Yes, but perhaps it could be another glitch (or delayed response)

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Probably just another "glitch" in the Public Mobile machine. As noted by @LovesToPM , as a pre-paid service, you won't be surprise billed for any overages or extra billing.

Welcome to PM.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@TP626   Yes I've noticed that in my account over the last month too.  But it's not consistent because some days the correct data is showing and others the negative data is added to the plan data (showing more than what it should be).  I've never used up all my plan data to find out if this data could be accessed, but I'm guessing not:)

I'm sure it's another PM glitch which will be sorted eventually.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@TP626 No worries. No overages. There's no surprise bills with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.