cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to unlock old Public Mobile phone

SapphireMoon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

My aunt gave me her old Public Mobile phone to use.

I need to unlock the phone.

Can someone assist me?

Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16

JessM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got that from a Bell rep a few days ago. 

PM will unlock any Public Mobile, Telus or Koodo phone: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Free-phone-unlocks-available-now/m-p/1979...

Yes, it is true that PM sold some phones for a while, back in 2014.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@SapphireMoon wrote:

The phone is a Samsung SGH-S730M

Contact Samsung Canada, they should have live chat and be able to do it in minutes

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JessM wrote:

Typically a phone will only accept SIM card changes a couple of times. If the phone has already had SIM cards from 3 different companies it may be locked for good. I

Where did you get this rumor? Please use common sense before spread it.

SapphireMoon

Thanks sent PM to moderators with IMEI and model number and awaiting their reply

@JessM wrote:

Typically a phone will only accept SIM card changes a couple of times. If the phone has already had SIM cards from 3 different companies it may be locked for good. If that's not the case, you will need an unlock code from a moderator if changing phone from PM to another company. If changing from another company to PM, contact the last company the phone was connected to for the unlock code. You shouldn't have to pay to unlock the phone. 

HUH?!?!?!  Where did you hear this or what manufacturer of phone did you hear this about?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@JessM wrote:

Typically a phone will only accept SIM card changes a couple of times. If the phone has already had SIM cards from 3 different companies it may be locked for good

There is no limit on how many sim cards you can put into a phone.  Putting 3 or 30 sim cards into a phone will not lock it if it is already unlocked.

The limit that you might be thinking of is the number of unlock attempts that you can make before that unlock code no longer works.  Simply putting in a sim card does not use an attempt as you can simply dismiss the unlock code prompt if you are trying to unlock a phone that is locked.

JessM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Typically a phone will only accept SIM card changes a couple of times. If the phone has already had SIM cards from 3 different companies it may be locked for good. If that's not the case, you will need an unlock code from a moderator if changing phone from PM to another company. If changing from another company to PM, contact the last company the phone was connected to for the unlock code. You shouldn't have to pay to unlock the phone. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@SapphireMoon wrote:

@SapphireMoon  Are you sure it's locked? I think you would be better of using an unlocking service via ebay. If you still want to contact PM regarding this issue click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

@geopublic, not sure why you would send someone to eBay where they would have to pay to have the phone unlocked.  If the phone worked on PM but is locked it means it is locked to the Telus Network and PM or Telus can unlock this for free.

@ShawnC13  It was just suggested as an alternative. Waiting more than 2  4 days to get it unlocked by a moderator or paying a dollar to get it unlocked at ebay. I would choose ebay.

@geopublic wrote:

@SapphireMoon wrote:

@SapphireMoon  Are you sure it's locked? I think you would be better of using an unlocking service via ebay. If you still want to contact PM regarding this issue click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

@geopublic, not sure why you would send someone to eBay where they would have to pay to have the phone unlocked.  If the phone worked on PM but is locked it means it is locked to the Telus Network and PM or Telus can unlock this for free.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@SapphireMoon wrote:

I know that one point, Public Mobile was selling/providing phone devices during the CDMA to HSPA network changeover.    Regardless if this phone is from that period, I assume that this phone is working with Public Mobile?

If that's the case, the phone can be unlocked by contacting Public Mobile moderators using this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Include the IMEI of the phone in that private message.

SapphireMoon

Thanks for the info will do

@SapphireMoon wrote:

SapphireMoon

when I put in a different company's SIM  the sim unlock screen comes up.

SapphireMoon

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@SapphireMoon wrote:

Hi,

My aunt gave me her old Public Mobile phone to use.

I need to unlock the phone.

Can someone assist me?

Thanks in advance

@SapphireMoon  As far as I know PM does not lock phones. What's the make/model of the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.