cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help - porting bell landline, do I have to keep bell number active during porting process?

luo2luke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, there, Last night I activated a new public mobile sim to switch my current Bell landline number(It sucked my $$$ for 3 years). The activation was success, my PM sim now can make call/send and receive SMS, but it can't receive phone call, I understand it's due to the porting is still in progress.

The problem is my current Bell number is to be cancelled by end of this month in 2 days(6/30). In order for a successful porting, do I have to keep the old number active? What happens if the porting still not finished by 6/30, and the old number get cancelled, will that porting fail forever? I don't want to deal with Bell anymore for service extension...

Need some help/advise here please. thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

luo2luke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for everybody's reply, it's my first post, and I got instant replies from you guys. It's really a welcoming community!

Following @ShawnC13 and others' advise, I called Bell to cancel my Cancellation request, and let the porting do the job. Fingers crossed for it being smooth...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@luo2luke , my advice is to reach out to Bell and grease the wheels.  There's absolutely no reason why land line ports take so long to complete.  Based on my own personal porting experience many, many years ago, Bell bottlenecks the system intentionally to make you have second thoughts.  My land line port took 48 hours back then.  There's no reason that it's even longer today.  In my case, once I talked to their customer retention department rep that called me, the port was completed within a minute of the call ending.  No guarantees, making some noise with Bell can speed things up.  On the Public Mobile end, the port has been submitted to Bell.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@luo2luke wrote:

Hi, there, Last night I activated a new public mobile sim to switch my current Bell landline number(It sucked my $$$ for 3 years). The activation was success, my PM sim now can make call/send and receive SMS, but it can't receive phone call, I understand it's due to the porting is still in progress.

The problem is my current Bell number is to be cancelled by end of this month in 2 days(6/30). In order for a successful porting, do I have to keep the old number active? What happens if the porting still not finished by 6/30, and the old number get cancelled, will that porting fail forever? I don't want to deal with Bell anymore for service extension...

@luo2luke  Why risk it. Call Bell tell them you changed your mind and ask them to ignore your cancellation request. The account will be cancelled once the port completes.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@luo2luke wrote:

Porting landline may take up to 7 days to complete the port.

Your number must be active at the time of porting.

If you had ask Bell to cancel your landline on June 30th, call them to cancel the landline cancellation.  Your landline will be canceled automatically after your number is ported out.  The unused days of your current billing cycle with be adjusted.  If your final bill does not adjust for the used days, call Bell to get the adjustment before paying the last bill because it will take forever to get a refund.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@luo2luke  first off landline ports can take up to 7 days, and yes the number needs to be active while the port is in process.

ETA:  You really didn't need to set a cancellation date.  When you port out that will cancel your account.  Bell should actually pro-rate your bill and refund any unused portion to you. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@luo2luke you most definitely do or you will lose number the porting should be finished by then

Need Help? Let's chat.