cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help activating with Public Mobile?

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

If you have any questions or issues when activating an account with us, please reply to this topic with your question or issue, and our awesome Community members and moderators will be able to assist you.

Note: Please do not share any personal account information in your reply

Thanks,

Jeremy

797 REPLIES 797

jeeva86
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
The site is so sketchy so try flipping between new number and port.

jeeva86
I'm trying to activate a sim and it's stuck on the last page. Hope it doesn't mess up the sim! They should know that the number of activations are gonna be high in these last two days and adjust for it.

xinglingling
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also have problem about activation. 

I cannot recieve any incoming call. It went staight to my old rogers voice mail. 

I haven't been able to use my phone for 2 days.  and my job needs me to be on call next week. 

*******Pleas help..... *******

I have raised ticket #4449-6262 with my personal infor in it. 

if you need more, please let me know. 

Thank you. 

Lkjh1234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I can't active my sim card, always failed on the last page. Can't done with credit card, there I purchased the vouchers. But still it say register fail need to get help on community

arog

I'm having exactly the same issue with my wife's activation.

tarynjlee

I just tried to sign up for Public Mobile's new fall promo and port my number from another carrier (Telus). My husband did the exact same thing yesterday and everything worked fine.

Unfortunately at the end of the process I got the error shown in the subject: "Sorry, your account activation request has failed". I have not received a welcome e-mail from Public Mobile and the SIM doesn't work at all. I did receive two initital text messages from Public Mobile, one with a 4-digit PIN and another showing the rewards applied to my account. I did not receive the third text message with the 4-digit PIN that I chose in the sign-up process. Also, the $6 reward for signing up for autorenewal was not includedin the second text.

Do you know what I can do to get my service working?

Thanks,

Taryn

Boomsly

You need to have a sim card in order to activate. As far as I know they are still handing out sim cards downtown toronto, montreal and victora B.C. Information on these exact locations is available in the forum elsewhere. If you don't live in those cities, I know some users have addiotnal sim cards who are willing to PM you the sim number for and they will mail you the sim card so you can activate the sim card before the promotion is over. They took the plan off of the main site so poeple weren't trying to order a sim card last minute because they would not have recevied a sim card in the mail before the promotion was over. 

If you have a sim card or sim card number you can still activate this plan at activate.publicmobile.ca

shabaz12

Want to select a new phone number, no drop down available on the list. I've tried different browsers, removed adblock, cleared cache. Can someone help please? Thanks in advance.

Sp1
I'm currently with Rogers and saw your deal that expires on Nov 20th. Which is. Now no longer on the site. It was 90 day, talk, text and 12gb. For $120.
I didn't knw that you have to first get on the site and get a sim mailed to you and that new activations can only be done through the phone. I was out of town and right when I got back wanted to switch, and now bc of the unusual way to sign up and enroll has messed me up. It is still before Nov 20th, but I can't get this plan apprarently because of the rules, and the lack of customer support doesn't help. They are no longer sending out sim cards. Can somebody help? Is there annything else I can do to still get this sim/plan? I'm frustrated.

VictoriaBC

Thanks for sharing your solution, misterp.  Bravo'd 😉  I too, had no response from private messaging in direct reply to mod,  but the community seems great for everything non account-specific.  That is definitely a concern.  When something doesn't go right with your main communication device or there's a billing error,  the customer service is so important.

Considering some carriers are either offering this promo in some areas (in-store), and others are working to making a similar promo for availability in the next few months,  I am seriously considering the pros and cons of PM.

Benefits to Self-service, Re this 90-day promo (PROS):  If you prefer doing it yourself,  and like the flexibility of 12 gb data over 90 days (self-controlled).  Community-based help and news is at least somewhat less biased than agent-based customer service.  Unlike some carriers, you are rewarded for loyalty after the one year period with an annual $1 off applied monthly.  No overages

Cons to this model, and RE the 90-day promo (CONS):  It is pre-paid 90-days,  not prorated billing cycle.  If additional minutes or data required, you must purchase that, although I think this is better than overages in nearly all situations except emergency ones involving data (911 emergency always available in phone calling mode).  No true customer service.  Community cannot help with Account-number-specific issues.  This promo is province-wide talk vs nation-wide for some competitor matched promotions (must check locally as this can vary so much).

Thanks to all the posters for making these points in various threads.

I have yet to make the dive.

I should move the post to a separate thread maybe..

Bolado
That's one tip I didn't know you could do. Enter your phone number in the self serve. I always thought it was email only. Remember that for the new wave of customers.

misterp
*****PROBLEM SOLVED*****

Recap:
-error message at the end of the activation process
-my sim was no longer valid if I tried to activate again
-payment went through
-selt serve account not created
-the next day my number was gone from my old account
-service not provisioned on the new sim
-my number wasn't in service when I tried to call it

On day 5 without service I got it working.

SOLUTION:
-I went to register a self service account
-i put my phone number in
-the system sent me a text with an activation number, which I didn't get because I had no service
-i rebooted my phone
-my phone now had service and the text cane through!

I should also add that I got ZERO replies to my private messages and website based emails to mods. Definitely not happy about it, but going without any service whatsoever for 5 days and worried about losing a number I've had for many many years would've been worse. PM has got some work to do to make us happy again.

jeeva86
Anyone try to activate a sim with a new number, then port via safari in iOS? Does it work? The website is so flakey so I wouldn't want it to fail midway through any of the key processes.

MC_Tess
Odd because I ported 2 phones yesterday...the other was completed instantaneously. Thanks for the insight...I hope I didnt make the wrong decision here. I have 1 more phonenumber to port. ..I better call my old provider to reactivate my number.

Bolado

I would say up to 48 in normal conditions,  but since its promo season expect a week.  Hit bravo if the Post was any help.

MC_Tess
Just signed up last night. Tried to port my number from old provider and it cancelled my acct with them, but now when I call it it says the number is notbin service. Is there a long wait on completing this process on the PM side? Ive rebooted and checked my settings and everything seems to be normal. Hoping there are no problems with my port. Any insight into whether or not the delay is just as a result of the volume of new sign ups due to this fall promo?

Bolado
if your chatr sim still works the port hasn't gone through unless it ran out of minutes and you didn't refill. Your suppose to keep using your current sim until the port goes through then switch to public mobile sim. Hit bravo if this post helped.

Presencegirl
I activated and tried to port from Chatr 48 hours ago. Also still no email response to them. Can't take any incoming calls or send texts. Anyone have any advice? Am starting to regret my decision

scarborough

Hi, my sister has an activation error. She really wants to get the plan before the promo ends, but she got the following error...

"Sorry, your account activation request has failed. Please visit our online community at href=" publicmobile.ca/community" Target="_blank">publicmobile.ca/community for assistance. Thanks for submitting your activation request. Your request has been processed. Full details are below."

Jaydog4

Hi there,

Trying to port over from PC Mobile with no luck.  I have changed my email, and sent a message thru FB.  Sim works perfectly, just stuck with porting.

Many thanks,

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Yes prepaid no overages ever. Service will just stop working.

You can use it all in the first day if you want. You have to keep an eye on it.

If you don't care to test it out like that, than just port directly upon activation. If problems do occur, be prepared for a lengthy wait for support.

VictoriaBC

Thank you for answering those questions Bolado,   Bravo'd!! 

Points which still await clarification:

1)  Are all PM plans "pre-paid"?  as in if I reach my maximum data or minutes, the service will just shut off, rather than charge me per additional usage?  This is the default and basic idea behind PM?

2)  In a long cycle plan, such as this 90-day plan with 12 Gb data,  would the user be allowed all 12 Gb at once,  or does the system still allot the total data evenly across each 30-day period, as set up in a default mode?  Is this user-manageable, as in could the user play around with allotment per n days in their settings? (useful if you stream music and forget.. although there are limiting options at the app layer)

3)  It is suggested in some posts to pick a number from PM first,  and then port over your desired number.  Why is that / what could happen (posts mention user error, so could your desired phone # be tangled up with no way to release back to you?).  (since for the next few days I have no way to test the temporary number other than borrowing a Telus phone)  

So far all responses have been great and quick!   I wonder how many PM users there are.  I think Koodo sports over 1.2 million..

please deduct Bravos if mentioning the K-word is a faux-pas around these woods 😜

Rockdaddy22

Rockdaddy22
Let's us know how it goes 🙂

Bolado
You can activate the sim card and choose a number without putting it into a phone. There is no prorate if you cancel in your 90 days. What you can do is sell the chip and remaining time on Craigslist. Please hit the bravo button if this was helped.

VictoriaBC

Hello,  I finally got the first of my SIM cards in the mail today!

Now to activate,  I just wanted to confirm a few things as a new customer.  Please keep in mind I have read through many of the discussions and posts but simply want confirmation.  

I do not yet have my new phone.  Current one is not working and locked to Virgin, but my account is active until I can verify number port out.  I have the option of borrowing an older Telus phone for the activation process if that is absolutely necessary.

My goal:  get on the 90-day 40/4gb plan and have my number ported over.  It has been noted by others that the plan is not advertised but still available until the 20th.

Can I activate and choose a phone number without inserting the SIM into a phone?

After choosing the promo plan and making payment, I can later port my existing number to replace the initially chosen number?  (without any fees?)

Are all PM plans "pre-paid"?  as in if I reach my maximum data or minutes, the service will just shut off, rather than charge me per additional usage?  This is the default and basic idea behind PM?

Since the plans are pre-paid, there is no prorated calculation for partly used months, if I terminate my service with PM in the middle of my cycle?

Does that apply to 90-day plans? So if I cancel 25 days into my 90-day cycle,  I am not refunded for 65 days prorated,  but rather will automatically terminate once I reach 90 days and be charged the full amount while having the servicing available until then?

Thanks to posters for answering!!!  Excited to get started

mharichu
Been activated my account for more than 36 hours and here I am still stuck on no data, no incoming calls and text

They said to send my info on private message to Mary and wait. But its a awhile still not working.

mharichu
Hello,

Been activated my account for more than 36 hour but still stuck on no data, no incoming calls and text.

Need some urgent help would be nice. Thanks

splashable

I'm sure that your posts will get the attention of a moderator.  They will figure it out as they certainly won't charge you several times for the same thing.  

Hang in there, they must be extremely busy. 

Bolado

I called my credit card company and they said i got two charges from public mobile.  When it failed the first time i clicked activate again and it still failed.  I spoke to a mod and told me ive only been charged once.  So i guess im just going to have to wait until my bill comes and see what happens lol. Take a picture and show it to a mod? Lol.  Is that even safe lol

Need Help? Let's chat.