cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help activating sim (gave Wrong IMEI)

dough13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have set up a Public mobile account for my friend and the phone has 2 imei numbers/2 card slots and I used the wrong one  when activating the public mobile plan (the bell sim card was in the #2 sim slot  and i used the #1 sim slot IMEI for activation) so the phone number did not fully transfer (cannot  get incoming calls but can text and call out.

What i did just now was to install the bell sim card in the  number 1 slot which would be the same IMEI i used when activating Public mobile and was hoping it would start working but no joy. Can i get a PM from someone who can clear up the issues , Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

@softech wrote:

@dough13  if you need to reset the PIN , you will have to open a ticket with mod.  Once the pin is changed, you can call back porting team.

This is how to open ticket with mod: 

**After you open a ticket with mod, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Mod will communicate with you via messaging within Community

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click on "Contact Us", click on "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket" then Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

When it comes to needing to open a ticket with the moderators to reset the account PIN, the customer may as well have the Public Mobile moderator update the porting request.   I see this as simpler for the customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dough13 : The IMEI part is what I think probably doesn't matter. SIM's were made to be able to go in any phone with a SIM slot and any slot therein. I'm guessing using IMEI for porting is just to know that it's you because only you would be able to know it. How else would a rando know an IMEI to use for porting. (notwithstanding posting these kinds of information here...sigh) (and not a nefarious seller).

So I would suggest to put the SIM back in the slot that you first got the text from Bell. Give that IMEI and phone number, confirm the transfer, remove the Bell SIM because it will be dead shortly, insert the PM SIM wherever you like.

As for calling, can you be together with your friend and he initiates the conversation proving it's him (the account holder) and then you take over the conversation.

dough13

@softech 

Thanks for the submit ticket info  and your help .

@dough13  if you need to reset the PIN , you will have to open a ticket with mod.  Once the pin is changed, you can call back porting team.

This is how to open ticket with mod: 

**After you open a ticket with mod, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Mod will communicate with you via messaging within Community

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click on "Contact Us", click on "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket" then Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

dough13

@softech

I called the public mobile porting  ph number but they will not accept the pin (which I copy/pasted to a txt doc when the account was created so i know it is correct) now they will not talk to me  till my friend calls which is not a great option since he doesn't know anything about setting up a sim card etc which is why he got me to do it lol. i will figure out something. thanks for the help BTW

@dough13  did you call the Porting team and confirm the porting status?  (I already sent you the number)

If you decide to put the Bell SIM back, put it back in first, then call the Porting department for an update.  They will re-trigger the SMS.   

dough13

@dough13 : When you got the text from Bell, which sim slot was that Bell SIM in?

Maybe none of this matters though. But put the Bell SIM back in the slot it was in when you got the text. Use that SIM slot as the "correct" IMEI to give when you talk to them. I don't know if you'll get another text. But hopefully the right number of the right account will be properly transferred.

Did you have a working SIM in the other SIM slot when you activated?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont have the phone right now but  i prob will have to  put the bell sim back in to get the text. i did move the bell sim to slot 1 before i removed it so that IEMI should have registered on the network as well which was also the slot with the IMEI I originally gave Public mobile when i activated the sim which may or may not help. I am thinking i need to start the process over by installing the bell sim  calling Public mobile , replying to the bell  text if i get one then install the public mobile sim in the same slot which will be sim 1 this time..

@dough13 wrote:

Public mobile called but i missed the call they said i need the correct IMEI number to complete the transfer (gave them the wrong sim slot IMEI )  so i will call them tomorrow and see what happens. I do have the public mobile Sim card in the same slot with the same IMEI as I signed up with now so maybe they can just redo the activation with the original sign up info and it will work this time if not ill just tell them to give him a new number and be done with it...

Thanks for the help.

The moderarators have different hours than the porting team so it might be faster to make a ticket using the chatbot. The moderator can update the IMEI for the porting.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dough13 : When you got the text from Bell, which sim slot was that Bell SIM in?

Maybe none of this matters though. But put the Bell SIM back in the slot it was in when you got the text. Use that SIM slot as the "correct" IMEI to give when you talk to them. I don't know if you'll get another text. But hopefully the right number of the right account will be properly transferred.

Did you have a working SIM in the other SIM slot when you activated?

dough13

Public mobile called but i missed the call they said i need the correct IMEI number to complete the transfer (gave them the wrong sim slot IMEI )  so i will call them tomorrow and see what happens. I do have the public mobile Sim card in the same slot with the same IMEI as I signed up with now so maybe they can just redo the activation with the original sign up info and it will work this time if not ill just tell them to give him a new number and be done with it...

Thanks for the help.

dough13

I did everything correctly  when signing up except putting the wrong  IMEI number while signing up,  as i stated before . My friend does not know his bell account  he was buying top up cards at the store so im not even sure he has an account number either way he does not know it.

The bell  text message asked if he consented to porting the phone number to public mobile to reply with YES which we did within the 90 min time frame. 
 He had data and could text/call out but not receive calls now he cant do any of that.
  Right now I would be happy to just give him a new phone number from Public Mobile and get his phone working again.

dough13
z10user4 I dialed 1877totelus and it failed.  i see the number you sent in my priv msg i will call it soon as i can.

thanks

@dough13  if you got the text from Bell.. it should be good

did you call the porting team yet?  Let  me send you the number via private message here.  Check your community inbox (envelop icon on the top right)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dough13 : Were there instructions to follow in that text?

@LurganIeUk :

activation2_transfernumber.jpg

dough13

the old carrier is bell and its a prepaid plan using a card. i got the text from bell  asking to allow the transfer and replied yes to transfer but i also have a public mobile sms that says we are having trouble transfering due to incorrect ESN/Meid

Who was the old carrier?. 

BTW if you used the wrong IMEI....I hope you did not inadvertently close an account that you still need??

@dough13 wrote:

he has a prepaid account and he didnt know the acc number off hand

Ok that makes sense and I have heard of that. BUT is it part of the online activation process??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dough13 : It's normal to not receive calls until the port is complete. But your port is in a weird state. It should simply fail as you would have a mis-matched phone number to SIM-slot-IMEI. What happened when you called the porting department? Can you find the account #?

@dough13 wrote:

The only issue now  is that i cannot receive calls  i can call out and receive texts  should i just wait now?

@dough13  are you porting in your number?  If so, that is normal.

have you reply YES to the SMS from your old carrier ?  If you have replied YES within 90 mins, it's all good.  Just keep reboot the phone every 15 mins and the porting should complete soon

dough13

The only issue now  is that i cannot receive calls  i can call out and receive texts  should i just wait now?

dough13

Called 1877totelus but no joy.   Thanks for the help by the way.

dough13

when activating the sim it asked for the acc number or IMEI number i chose to use the second option since my friend didnt have his bell account number handy but i wrote down the wrong IMEI when activating. he wanted to use the same ph number.

dough13

he has a prepaid account and he didnt know the acc number off hand

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Since when do you give your IMEI. Once the SIM is registered PM will automatically know your IMEI number. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dough13 : I guess this is a drawback of using IMEI for transferring on a dual-SIM phone. Why not just use account #?

You still need to leave the old SIM in to confirm the transfer. Don't yet because you might cancel out the wrong number. Or the port will fail. Either way call the porting support number at 1877totelus.

Need Help? Let's chat.