cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

How good is PM? Im planning on switching tmr

So im buying a sim and porting my number to PM tomorrow. I would like to know how good it is? anybody been with them for more than a year? if so please tell me your experience. :cathappy:

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: How good is PM? Im planning on switching tmr

@ArmandoUrso wrote:

So im buying a sim and porting my number to PM tomorrow. I would like to know how good it is? anybody been with them for more than a year? if so please tell me your experience. :cathappy:

@ArmandoUrso  For me it's been solid. My recommendation would be to activate with a temporary number and use it for a coup,e of weeks and if you are happy then you can port your number over from your current provider.

Highlighted

Ya i was going to do that but its complicated at the moment because you need to contact support and its just way easier to do it at activation. Are Walmart PM kiosks affected by COVID-19

Highlighted

@ArmandoUrso wrote:

Ya i was going to do that but its complicated at the moment because you need to contact support and its just way easier to do it at activation. Are Walmart PM kiosks affected by COVID-19

You can also activate at any London Drugs. They are opened.

Highlighted

I live in Ontario. We don't have a London Drugs

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ArmandoUrso 

Here is my list:

Disadvantages
No call centre. Any issues with billing, technical, etc. has to go through online forum. It takes time to get things fixed.
No international roaming, except to USA (need to buy 10 day roaming package)
Long distance calling to certain number of countries (18 - including US and Canada)
Data is 3 G (capped Lte) - for most people, should not make a big difference.
No unlimited data like Lucky (low speed)
No Wifi calling or eSIM.

BYOD - PM does not sell devices.

Advantages

Public mobile uses Telus/Bell towers, so good coverage across Canada

No overages.  Once you use up your allotment, the service just stops (ie. data).

Ability to lower costs via various means

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/reward-rules

No contract.  No credit checks.

Cheaper plans than the big three

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ArmandoUrso  Walmart kiosks as far as I know are open. They are independent and not run by PM.

Highlighted

Thanks. one question if i get offered a free sim card if they activate it for me what does that mean?. Do they activate for me and create a self serve account? Or do they activate it and can i create a self serve account at home? because i would rather create a self serve account at home

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ArmandoUrso  When you get home Click here to register your selfserve account.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Need Help!!

@AE_Collector wrote:

They do everything right then except you will go home and create your self serve account.   You have the first 30 days to get Autopay in place via self serve before your first renewal.

As for testing the service, do you know anyone on Telus? That is the network you will be on so if Telus works well there, PM should as well.

To the community: Has it been determined that porting in immediately at activation is not possible either? Or just porting in later to replace a temporary number? I know that @ArmandoUrso would like to test things for a few days or weeks first but if immediate porting is possible at activation that would simplify things.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector @ArmandoUrso  There I no issue with porting your number in at activation this has been confirmed by Alan_pm in the announcement thread regarding ongoing maintenance. It only affects the ability to do it within your self serve account.

If you look at your payment history in your account after the $10 30 day plan charge is the applicable data charge for your account. For the $25 plan it's....1gb at 3G  $15 or for the $40 plan it's  5gb at 3G  $30.  Basically the system has been programmed to assume autopay is enabled. The only thing affected by not signing up for autopay is recieving the autopay reward of $2. It appears and has been noted by users on the $15 plan without autopay that they still recieve the data bonus.....unofficially.