cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help!!

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

83 REPLIES 83

@JoyLuck , @carlaspapa , I did a Google search for cheapest cell plans Toronto. 🤔

@carlaspapa wrote:

I love public mobile! My old plan with fido didn't even have data and I was paying $80 a month. Was stuck in my ways. Now I'm paying $13. Wish I knew about public mobile years ago.

Same here. It was like PM was the best kept secret. I only happened onto it through a Facebook post that was complaining about the expensive cell plans of the big 3 and someone suggested PM as an alternative.

Now tell that to everyone else who prefers to rely on the federal government to hammer prices down rather than just looking for a better cell plan price themselves!

AE_Collector

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I love public mobile! My old plan with fido didn't even have data and I was paying $80 a month. Was stuck in my ways. Now I'm paying $13. Wish I knew about public mobile years ago.

@ShawnC13 

Good to know... thanks for that info.

AE_Collector

@BearFBI wrote:

I am just activating my sim card for my son and it asks for an age. Could i just put his age or is there a age requirement?

DOB was once used as a piece of information to verify account ownership before SIMon.  If you are private messaging the moderators because SIMon isn't working they may still require it or other information to verify account ownership

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@BearFBI wrote:

I am just activating my sim card for my son and it asks for an age. Could i just put his age or is there a age requirement?

This is pre-paid, which means there is no age verification, or any verification outside of the payment method. As long as you can make the payment you could register the account to Fake Name at 123 fake street

BearFBI

Great thanks.

@BearFBI wrote:

I would think you can put in your son's age and it wouldn't matter for the cell phone service as there is no age restrictions I've heard of to open a plan at PM.

PM does not ask for any age info like DOB.

@BearFBI wrote:

No age limit...long as the credit card or payment voucher is valid...you're good to go.

You'll need a unique email address. If using gmail, you can use alias.

BearFBI

Almost 16 months here now. I can’t see any difference in cell service between TELUS and PM. Customer service is different but I generally prefer using messaging with the moderators to listening to endless elevator music trying to get to a service rep.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

They do everything right then except you will go home and create your self serve account.   You have the first 30 days to get Autopay in place via self serve before your first renewal.

As for testing the service, do you know anyone on Telus? That is the network you will be on so if Telus works well there, PM should as well.

To the community: Has it been determined that porting in immediately at activation is not possible either? Or just porting in later to replace a temporary number? I know that @BearFBI would like to test things for a few days or weeks first but if immediate porting is possible at activation that would simplify things.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector @BearFBI  There I no issue with porting your number in at activation this has been confirmed by Alan_pm in the announcement thread regarding ongoing maintenance. It only affects the ability to do it within your self serve account.

If you look at your payment history in your account after the $10 30 day plan charge is the applicable data charge for your account. For the $25 plan it's....1gb at 3G  $15 or for the $40 plan it's  5gb at 3G  $30.  Basically the system has been programmed to assume autopay is enabled. The only thing affected by not signing up for autopay is recieving the autopay reward of $2. It appears and has been noted by users on the $15 plan without autopay that they still recieve the data bonus.....unofficially.

@BearFBI  When you get home Click here to register your selfserve account.

BearFBI

Thanks. one question if i get offered a free sim card if they activate it for me what does that mean?. Do they activate for me and create a self serve account? Or do they activate it and can i create a self serve account at home? because i would rather create a self serve account at home

@BearFBI  Walmart kiosks as far as I know are open. They are independent and not run by PM.

@BearFBI 

Here is my list:

Disadvantages
No call centre. Any issues with billing, technical, etc. has to go through online forum. It takes time to get things fixed.
No international roaming, except to USA (need to buy 10 day roaming package)
Long distance calling to certain number of countries (18 - including US and Canada)
Data is 3 G (capped Lte) - for most people, should not make a big difference.
No unlimited data like Lucky (low speed)
No Wifi calling or eSIM.

BYOD - PM does not sell devices.

Advantages

Public mobile uses Telus/Bell towers, so good coverage across Canada

No overages.  Once you use up your allotment, the service just stops (ie. data).

Ability to lower costs via various means

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/reward-rules

No contract.  No credit checks.

Cheaper plans than the big three

BearFBI

I live in Ontario. We don't have a London Drugs

@BearFBI wrote:

Ya i was going to do that but its complicated at the moment because you need to contact support and its just way easier to do it at activation. Are Walmart PM kiosks affected by COVID-19

You can also activate at any London Drugs. They are opened.

BearFBI

Ya i was going to do that but its complicated at the moment because you need to contact support and its just way easier to do it at activation. Are Walmart PM kiosks affected by COVID-19

@BearFBI wrote:

So im buying a sim and porting my number to PM tomorrow. I would like to know how good it is? anybody been with them for more than a year? if so please tell me your experience. :cathappy:

@BearFBI  For me it's been solid. My recommendation would be to activate with a temporary number and use it for a coup,e of weeks and if you are happy then you can port your number over from your current provider.

BearFBI

So im buying a sim and porting my number to PM tomorrow. I would like to know how good it is? anybody been with them for more than a year? if so please tell me your experience. :cathappy:

@BearFBI  If you are concerned about the employee at walmart seeing your sensitive  information like your credit card number you can voice your concerns and ask that you enter any info you want to remain private before you agree to activate in store to get a free SIM card. If they refuse then just buy and activate at home. Whenever I've activated an account in store at London drugs they have no problem with me coming behind the counter and entering that info myself.

The last one I activated the employee insisted that I set up self serve too....just to make sure there were no mistakes made with the email and that all the services were working and the self serve pin # for activation was recieved and self serve account was properly activated and set up. If you choose to activate in store either write down ( i use the sim card cardboard "card" it comes in) the password, account pin # you choose, the security question and answer you pick or take a picture of the screen that you enter it on with your phone that you can transfer to a secure place once you get home. This gives you a safe back up reference if you ever forget this important account information.

@BearFBI wrote:

K thanks i was just confirming if i got the extra 500MB if i set up autopay after. because i knew that you would get the 2$ applied to your account ````````

@BearFBI   Yes you will qualify for the extra data and $2 discount when you register your CC and enable your autopay in your self serve account.

BearFBI

K thanks i was just confirming if i got the extra 500MB if i set up autopay after. because i knew that you would get the 2$ applied to your account

@BearFBI   Yes you will be charged for both the SIM and plan upfront at Walmart and then go home to activate your self serve account and add your CC for autopay.

@BearFBI yes, all this happens when you set up your self service account.

BearFBI

But if i activate my sim and get my plan at Walmart do i pay upfront there for the plan. And then can i come home and setup auto pay and get the 500MB for the month and the 2 dollars ?

Need Help? Let's chat.