cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions for Porting Postpaid Number from Koodo Please

graceodr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am transferring my company number to Public Mobile, but very nervous about doing so on our company number because that will compromise the business if it doesn't work out.

Is there somewhere in this forum where there is a clear step-by-step instruction of how to port a postpaid number from Koodo using the self-serve? I have read that we can do it ourselves if it is postpaid but I would like a detailed and clear step-by-step direction.

Just for clarity, I have the Public Mobile SIM Card now, it is not yet activated, and I have not set up an account because I do not have my number ported yet.

Thank you in advance!

13 REPLIES 13

@graceodr wrote:

These are good points. I was having some reservations already as it is, and honestly haven't had that much time to browse through all of the conversation topics (who's got that kind of time? lol) Maybe I will take a little more time and do a little bit more research because I don't want to lose my phone number. As it is, it is already getting too cumbersome to even figure out the phone number for this SIM before I can even register for an account!

Thank you for your input!

Grace

I'm not sure why anyone would want the phone number pre-assigned.  The fact that you can choose a phone number is a good thing. As you were considering porting a phone number in, the phone number that you get is less of a factor.  To find out the phone number if you've forgotten it, that can be discovered by making an outgoing phone call, looking in the phone's setting menus, or by checking the self-serve account.  Also, once you submit the request to the transfer the phone nubmer in, you'll no longer be using that new Public Mobile-assinged  phone number.

@graceodr Some additional research for you on the issue of using PM for business service: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Moderator-team-is-not-replying/m-p/400946...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@graceodr wrote:

These are good points. I was having some reservations already as it is, and honestly haven't had that much time to browse through all of the conversation topics (who's got that kind of time? lol) Maybe I will take a little more time and do a little bit more research because I don't want to lose my phone number. As it is, it is already getting too cumbersome to even figure out the phone number for this SIM before I can even register for an account!

Grace

You will need to pick the phone number during the  SIM activation process. That's the way things work with any prepaid provider I've used. Even with postpaid accounts choosing a phone number is done during account set up.

And since this would be a temporary number to try things out / that would be overwritten by the number you'd be porting into the account if you feel Public Mobile works for your purposes, it can be any random number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@graceodr wrote:

Grace

Yeah this place is more of a hands-on self-serve kinda place. But if you can navigate other online commerce sites, it's not hard. The Get Started link on the top bar is basically the step by step that gets you signed up.

Check phone compatibility (may or may not have your phone which doesn't mean it's not compatible)

Check if your phone is known to be blacklisted by theft or lack of payment.

Acquire a SIM either online or in store

Activate the account which steps through all the actions you need to do to get there. Transfering a number is in there but you don't have to yet. And your Koodo postpaid number should be dead easy to transfer.

graceodr

Grace

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@graceodr  I know the thought of saving done money sounds good, but I personally do not think you should switch to public mobile.  Or maybe you should do some extra research.

1) you need to request invoices and they can take a Month to receive

2) if you have an account related issue  failed port or no service because of a autopay failure,  credit card issue  you might be without service for one, maybe 2 or even longer days. 

3) there is no number to call for support only this forum and private messages yo moderators

This being said I have had few issues with the service but you need to understand the service and its limitations before jumping on board.  There are often  posts saying lost job, missed interviews, lost business opportunities  etc on the forum.   None of the above might happen,  but is it worth the risk? 

@graceodr wrote:

As in....where would I find it on the package that I received?

@graceodr  During activation you get to pick it from a list of available numbers from your area. You just need to select the area.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@graceodr wrote:

You select a number from a list provided during activation.

graceodr

graceodr

I am about to ask a noob question - what would my new phone number be?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@graceodr wrote:

I am transferring my company number to Public Mobile, but very nervous about doing so on our company number because that will compromise the business if it doesn't work out.

Is there somewhere in this forum where there is a clear step-by-step instruction of how to port a postpaid number from Koodo using the self-serve? I have read that we can do it ourselves if it is postpaid but I would like a detailed and clear step-by-step direction.

Just for clarity, I have the Public Mobile SIM Card now, it is not yet activated, and I have not set up an account because I do not have my number ported yet.

Thank you in advance!

@graceodr  My recommendation is to first activate your PM sim card and select a temporary PM number. Once that is done and you created your online selfservre account and activated your plain then you can setup the port.

Once your account is activated and you are happily with how everything is working post here again and we will provide you with step by step instructions on how to port with minimum downtime. This way you get s chance to familiarize yourself with selfserve before doing the port.

@graceodr wrote:

Thank you in advance!

You can set your account up first with a new phone number. The self-serve website's change number feature can then be used to request the number porting.  During this process I would suggest fillimg in the form with your Koodo account number, but to skip the part about IMEI/serial numner and Koodo PIN by leaving them both blank.

GR
Mayor / Maire

Easiest way is to get the new account set up, pick a new number. Once it works  send a private message to the Moderator_Team and ask them for help on porting the Koodo prepaid number and keep using the Koodo Sim card until the port is done and it stops working, then switch to the public mobile Sim card.   Also keep your Koodo account active for the port to work! 

Need Help? Let's chat.