cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native Samsung Canada CSC XAC VS Currier Specific!

hassanroble
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So when ever PM sim is inserted to my galaxy s21 device, it Changes the CSC from its Samsung XAC to PMB which is the public mobile as it should. The problem is, since public mobile dont offer any 5G or Volte or even Wifi Calling, Those feature are automatically disabled and disappear from the device completely(not grayed out) which makes the whole reason of buying high-end phone pointless. i wonder if there is a way to overcome this  monopoly from the carriers limiting your devices options if they haven't collected cash from it in the first place? 

21 REPLIES 21

@hassanroble 

I can understand what you are saying....like the bf buying a second hand sonim XP-8  originally from telus only to discover telus disables the dual sim function in the phone. So you can use either sim slot you just can't use both.....so its a single sim card phone but with a vacation home for your sim card in case it gets restless in its regular home.

Is the sonim XP-8 a true rugged phone? Nope.....the bf has just about done it in a mere 4 months after getting it. First the back cover screw broke, both sim card covers have broken off (sim card is taped into the tray)and he has splinter cracked the screen.

Despite a 3 year warranty its only valid for the original owner. Sonim will not sell or ship replacement parts to anyone but the original provider, authorized repair dealers or for warranty repairs. Not impressed....not going to pay several hundred dollars to repair a second hand phone that obviously not up to the task to begin with!!

When is outdoor tech going to start making cell phones? Those rhino headphones are still going strong after over a year. If they could only fix the app there could be a decent work around for a phone! The fairphone/teracube2e is looking better and better at least its repairable for cheap!

@hassanroble 

Read articles on 5G and it is not cut out to what the advertisers and promoters to be.

5G will work best out in the open and that is why commercials show users streaming and calling outside.

I think it is in the infant stage with different class of 5G.

The big 3 will have to put in a big investment to upgrade their existing infrastructure and install more cell towers for a closer spacing.

Cell phone makers are making phones when 5G coverage is available in most areas.

dlapointe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I totally understand, You were just supplying information to people who have questions about 5G. I have a 5 G and I was going to ask about it, but your answer fully explained everything. If you want a cheaper carrier, be prepared to lose some options. Thank you for clarifying.

hassanroble

I don't know why you think i am having a hard time understanding you. All i am doing is to shed light on the carrier CSC monopoly in our markets and how the  big 3 treat customers. I am not really interested in turning this into a Twitter post or contentious arguments. 

@hassanroble 

if you're asking if I lost those features when I moved to pm then yes I did. if the carrier doesn't support the feature, it will not show up in your device. why are you looking for greyed out options? I don't see how this matters? if you move to a carrier that has volte, 5g etc. then those options will reappear. you will not be able to enable those options on a cheap carrier. why is this so hard to understand

hassanroble

I understand the fact that you can switch CSC firmwares to a different carrier within the region. All i want to know is if other PM users have similar issues with PM and telus and what they have done to resolve it if they could. 

@fujiyama wrote:

Can't speak for all brands, but I remember reading that all Samsung phones are programmed to download carrier settings the first time you insert a sim card. So it gets "locked" to the first carrier so to speak.

Try this to change it (taken from an XDA thread) :

1.install google phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer&hl=tr&gl=US

2.enter code: *#*#27262826#*#*
Select if the csc you're looking for.
3.choose the csc you want
4.install
5.sales netword code change
6.ok
7. ATTENTİON!! will be reset to factory settings!
get a backup.

It's not really a mater of the phone downloading settings. The process of carrier customization actually works even without an internet connection.  While many of the new Samsung devices do still perform this carrier customization process, the newest ones no longer lock to any specific carrier.  it's also still possible to insert a SIM card for which the device doesn't already have the APN settings programmed for.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can't speak for all brands, but I remember reading that all Samsung phones are programmed to download carrier settings the first time you insert a sim card. So it gets "locked" to the first carrier so to speak.

Try this to change it (taken from an XDA thread) :

1.install google phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer&hl=tr&gl=US

2.enter code: *#*#27262826#*#*
Select if the csc you're looking for.
3.choose the csc you want
4.install
5.sales netword code change
6.ok
7. ATTENTİON!! will be reset to factory settings!
get a backup.

they are a general user. they don't understand what they actually really need... they look for the greatest and best thing even though they don't need it

@hassanroble wrote:

I haven't tried other sim on this phone so far. i am currently shopping for a better carrier who can match my high-end phone. 😊

@hassanroble well then, good for you. Since you must have paid more $$$ to have a fancy high-end phone, you should go to a service provider that can enable you to use all the features that your device has to offer.

Namaste

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hassanroble : #wts ^^ Enjoy spending a crap load more money elsewhere making use of those features.

I can do voip with TextNow...so much for VoLTE which is all that really is.

Browsing speeds are fine with the throttled LTE-Lite we have here (although my old plan gives me full 4G) so what do I care about 5G. Let alone ka-ching.

As above...bang on.

But as always with everything...it's your money.

BearFBI

@hassanroble wrote:

Every CSC is written differently but some companies block certain features from non Currier Specific phones in their network to force clients to buy the phones from them and thats the monopoly i am talking about here.

@hassanroble And what does this have to do with Public ? Public Mobile is not doing this. PM is mostly a BYOD service. Even if you were to buy a used samsung phone from them the same features wouldn't be there because PM dosent support them.

PM is a third tier carrier. They dont offer 5G or all those fancy features. 

What you got to ask yourself is if you really need them. Do you REALLY need 5G ? Do you really NEED Wi-Fi calling ? 5G is just a gimmick. In most cases its worst than 4G.

Their not locking your phone down. If you go to another carrier you can easily use those features again.

TheGx

@hassanroble :I think it nothing to worry about because while your Public SIM is used your phone automatically removes features it can't use anyways but when you insert another SIM from Telus etc that has all those features your phone will automatically display those features again.

If Public ever offered those features your Public SIM card will probably automatically tell your phone to display those missing features again.

hassanroble

I haven't tried other sim on this phone so far. i am currently shopping for a better carrier who can match my high-end phone. 😊

hassanroble

Every CSC is written differently but some companies block certain features from non Currier Specific phones in their network to force clients to buy the phones from them and thats the monopoly i am talking about here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Quigley wrote:

@Anonymous   Because they can, I suppose. And their not all there.

I was going more towards however people want to spend their hard-earned money or ill-gotten gains or their parents money is their business.

Just because it's a third tier provider doesn't mean you can't run a Ferrari on it. Same as city streets with speed limits.

@Anonymous   Because they can, I suppose. And their not all there.

BearFBI

@hassanroble Well this isint PM doing this. It's just the way the CSC codes work. If the carrier doesn't support the feature it won't show it. 

Even if it did show it what's the difference ? It can't be used anyway. 

PM's configuration code is probably the best. No bloteware or any of that junk. I'll have to switch over to it eventually. The rogers bloteware is annoying. 

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Quigley wrote:

Why would anyone with a higher end phone use PM in the first place? Since you know you can't use it to it's fullest potential. Just saying 😅

I use a high end phone (Note 20) on PM. Most of my use on the phone is on WIFI which means it's operating near peak. Sure, I don't get WIFI calling, but I get great signal coverage anyway so that feature doesn't really matter to me. I only use the $15/month plan (completely paid for using rewards), and pretty much only take incoming calls on my account. I use my other TELUS account using an iPhone 11 (hate the phone compared to my Note 20) as my main line for doing outgoing calls. In fact, as I type this, I should switch my Note 20 to my main TELUS line and use my hated iPhone on PM instead. But either way, flagship phones work perfectly fine on PM.

As for the CSC settings on the Samsung, as soon as I put in my TELUS SIM into that phone, all the premium features start to be available again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Quigley : Why would anybody buy a Ferrari when they can only use its full potential on a track?

@hassanroble : This is a topic I had been interested in with my UAE A31 phone. So what happens when you put in a different SIM?

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

Why would anyone with a higher end phone use PM in the first place? Since you know you can't use it to it's fullest potential. Just saying 😅

Need Help? Let's chat.