cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name displayed on other people's phone

moegagner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK, here goes. I'll try my darndest to include all pertinent information.

I recently signed up with PM. All's well with voice, messaging and data. When I call some of my contacts, my number shows up on their screen as it's supposed to. BIG problem though.

The name 'Robert' shows up on their screen as the caller ID. My phone number and 'Robert'. I've had some callers say, "who the heck is Robert and why are you using his phone" Why should I have to explain to everyone the whole situation that I'm in.

My name is NOT Robert, never has been Robert and my contacts are not named Robert nor do they have a Robert in their contacts.

I like the service and price with PM. But I don't like 'Robert'.

As a test, my other phone MOTO X has been factory reset with NO Google Account information. Sim installed, with the same outcome. My name (account name) should be displayed, not ROBERT! I've been wondering if I can request that my name (account name) to not be displayed. No name at all. The picture below is a screenshot that my contact took when I called. Robert with my number. 

I've had 2 moderators try to help me but to no avail.

Anyone???

Phone.jpg

15 REPLIES 15

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertQc wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the name "Robert". I think Moe needs to give it a fair try...

@CellGirl  Thank you

@RobertQc 

🤣

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi @moegagner

Sorry to hear you're facing this issue. 

Please, click here to contact us via private message. 

Regards. 

This issue was from a couple of weeks ago.    Also, to my knowledge, Public Mobile has never transmitted outgoing name information (only number) when a customer places an outgoing call.  Has that changed? 

The "smart" logo shown on the screen example shown  by the OP indicates that the receiving end is using a Samsung device.  That database is maintained by some third party, and phone numbers are cross-referenced using an internet connection,  so I am doubful that Public Mobile has any control over that.

@CellGirl wrote:

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the name "Robert". I think Moe needs to give it a fair try...

@CellGirl  Thank you

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @moegagner

Sorry to hear you're facing this issue. 

Please, click here to contact us via private message. 

Regards. 

Kevster1974

Did u go to your profile and check if your names there 

@moegagner wrote:

OK, here goes. I'll try my darndest to include all pertinent information.

I recently signed up with PM. All's well with voice, messaging and data. When I call some of my contacts, my number shows up on their screen as it's supposed to. BIG problem though.

The name 'Robert' shows up on their screen as the caller ID. My phone number and 'Robert'. I've had some callers say, "who the heck is Robert and why are you using his phone" Why should I have to explain to everyone the whole situation that I'm in.

My name is NOT Robert, never has been Robert and my contacts are not named Robert nor do they have a Robert in their contacts.

I like the service and price with PM. But I don't like 'Robert'.

As a test, my other phone MOTO X has been factory reset with NO Google Account information. Sim installed, with the same outcome. My name (account name) should be displayed, not ROBERT! I've been wondering if I can request that my name (account name) to not be displayed. No name at all. The picture below is a screenshot that my contact took when I called. Robert with my number. 

I've had 2 moderators try to help me but to no avail.

Anyone???

Phone.jpg

Sorry, but this isn't something that Public Mobile can fix for you, nor is it anything that they control.

First off, Public Mobile does not send "name display" information for outgoing calls.

Also, when you are calling your own phone number (or a friend), I've noticed the "smart" label.  That is a Samsung software feature.  These Samsung devices check a database using an internet connection to find names for phone numbers that are not saved in your contact list.  If you call someone who is not using a Samsung device, I don't believe it will say "Robert". 

@moegagner 

Most phones use third party info from the internet for caller id. Different phones manufactures use different services. You can get that name changed if you find out which database has Robert.

It looks like from your screenshot, they have a samsung phone / using the smart call samsung app (or smartcall database for caller id) so start here https://hiyahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=824667

moegagner

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@moegagner was your number ported from another provider, or did you take a new number when signing up?

AFAIK, TELUS/Koodo/PM don't have outgoing caller name.  The only wireless carrier I'm aware of supporting it is Rogers/Fido/Chatr, so if I were to guess, the number had been ported to one of those carriers at one point, and was then returned, but the CNAM databases still have stale info.

Quickest/easiest solution might be to pick a different number if you haven't gotten too commited to your current one, since I have a feeling this would be out of PM's hands to scrub (but I could definitely be wrong...).

Thanks, Makes sense.

moegagner

@NDesai wrote:

@moegagner  Normally, the caller ID is linked with your account name, but in your case it is not doing that. That might be because the number was previously assigned to someone name Robert? Since he might've let go of that number, you might have picked it up? It is not matching your account details and i do not know why. Only PM mods/backend persons can see this details and i am not sure if it's editable. If that's the case, you might want to pick a new number. 

Thanks for your suggestion. This number is our Corporation number which we've had for 25+ years. I've been assigned to manage certain areas in the Corp. and I can't afford to lose that number.

Thanks again

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@moegagner was your number ported from another provider, or did you take a new number when signing up?

AFAIK, TELUS/Koodo/PM don't have outgoing caller name.  The only wireless carrier I'm aware of supporting it is Rogers/Fido/Chatr, so if I were to guess, the number had been ported to one of those carriers at one point, and was then returned, but the CNAM databases still have stale info.

Quickest/easiest solution might be to pick a different number if you haven't gotten too commited to your current one, since I have a feeling this would be out of PM's hands to scrub (but I could definitely be wrong...).

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@moegagner  Normally, the caller ID is linked with your account name, but in your case it is not doing that. That might be because the number was previously assigned to someone name Robert? Since he might've let go of that number, you might have picked it up? It is not matching your account details and i do not know why. Only PM mods/backend persons can see this details and i am not sure if it's editable. If that's the case, you might want to pick a new number. 

Yes thanks @moegagner I have edited my message after...

moegagner

@Lieux wrote:

Oups...you will need help from the moderator here... @moegagner 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and explain what happened...Robert????Smiley Wink

Been there, done that, t-shirt to prove it. Read the whole post please, @Lieuw

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Oups...you will need help from the moderator here... @moegagner 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and explain what happened...Robert????Smiley Wink

Already done...you have to wait now..Patience...they will find Robert....

Need Help? Let's chat.