cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name change

trishe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Tag@Moderator_team

Hi I helped a friend go to public mobile but his Fido phone would not unlock.  He had to instead buy a chatter plan.  Since the $10  SIM and minutes are non refundable I took & paid for his number SIM & $25 plus tax Public Mobile plan. How to I set it up in my name & get his off the contract

12 REPLIES 12

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@trishe wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Before you attempt to do anything further... did your friend get their phone number on to the plan successfully?  If yes, did your friend port the number to Chatr?

If yes to both question, that SIM is now dead, and the account is closed, and can not be reactivated.

No he had to go locked from Fido to chatter .  He bought a chatter $25 card & sim & I took over the sim number & PM account for one of my unlocked phones.  I recently edited the name & address.  People do move and sometimes change their names so it is great to have the option to do that.  I feel bad that I had been so happy the SIM was free although I had not seen that advertised nor was I notified that it is no longer free.  

After telling all my friends how great a deal that was & incentive to switch I have to tell them all that promotion is over

I think the free SIM cards are kind of hit or miss when it's not part of a promotion. My dad and I both got our SIM cards for free when we switched from Lucky to Public at Walmart, even though there was no promotion running. I've heard several similar reports from people getting their SIM cards for free at Walmart during activation. But I think it all depends on the place/person you get.

trishe

@stonechucker wrote:

Before you attempt to do anything further... did your friend get their phone number on to the plan successfully?  If yes, did your friend port the number to Chatr?

If yes to both question, that SIM is now dead, and the account is closed, and can not be reactivated.

No he had to go locked from Fido to chatter .  He bought a chatter $25 card & sim & I took over the sim number & PM account for one of my unlocked phones.  I recently edited the name & address.  People do move and sometimes change their names so it is great to have the option to do that.  I feel bad that I had been so happy the SIM was free although I had not seen that advertised nor was I notified that it is no longer free.  

After telling all my friends how great a deal that was & incentive to switch I have to tell them all that promotion is over

trishe

No. He could not get PM sim to work on his FIDO chatter locked phone that would not unlock with the code FIDO supplied so he had purchased the PM sim & minutes & could not use them & could not afford a new phone.  I loaned him the money to buy the SIM 😞

So I have now switched the name & address after opening the community account with my email...he does not have email.  This service & community is apparently reserved only for customers with email accounts.  

@trishe 

As described well above, you can change more details in the self service account.  You will need help to change the initial email address that was associated with account.  Moderators can help with that part.  Expect 1-2 day wait from moderator these days.  

@trishe wrote:

Thanks. I'm new here so will try to tag a moderator that way instead.  I was trying to do so for another new community member asking why the online phone comparability check is not working..

In case you were using an older version, this was just announced yesterday.
Introducing the new and improved phone compatibility checker

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@trishe wrote:

Tag@Moderator_team

Hi I helped a friend go to public mobile but his Fido phone would not unlock.  He had to instead buy a chatter plan.  Since the $10  SIM and minutes are non refundable I took & paid for his number SIM & $25 plus tax Public Mobile plan. How to I set it up in my name & get his off the contract

PM SIM cards are not reusable. Since you already have the SIM in your possession and it is working, then you just need to own the Self Serve account or "transfer" ownership if the account was already created.

Most if not all of your personal info can be changed via Self Serve:
- My Profile: Name, Address and Alternate Phone Number
- Change Your Password
- Change Your Security Question
- Reset Voicemail Password
- Change Number
- Manage my card - Update or remove my Credit or Visa debit card
- Change Plan

There is also Change Username option, but I am not sure if this changes your actual email.

PM Change Username.jpg

trishe

Thanks. I'm new here so will try to tag a moderator that way instead.  I was trying to do so for another new community member asking why the online phone comparability check is not working..

trishe

@geopublic wrote:

@trishe wrote:

Tag@Moderator_team

@trishe  Out of curiosity what was the make and model of the phone?

@geopublic Lg. Four digit numbers I cannot remember.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@trishe wrote:

Tag@Moderator_team

@trishe  Out of curiosity what was the make and model of the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trishe wrote:

Tag@Moderator_team

Not quite the right way to go about getting their attention. Don't include the word "Tag" in front. Just start with the @ sign and then type the username. It will auto-complete as you go along.

But it's really not the best way anyway.

@Moderator_Team < Click this.

trishe

Thanks in advance

Need Help? Let's chat.