cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO SIM shows after number transfer

zhonglin1002
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi, i just transferred my number from Fido to Public and activated my new SIM card. it has been over 2 hours, but my phone still shows NO SIM with new SIM card in. Has anyone come across the same issue? thank you

38 REPLIES 38

@zhonglin1002From checking my posts it wasn't the same message for that user but of the ones with no SIM the solution was replacing the sim card. I would go purchase a new SIM card and ask for a credit from the moderators for your defective SIM card.

I know you have tried many things but in light of what @darlicious just mentioned have you tried this in this ORDER?

- remove sim

- reboot your phone and let it start up completely and finish looking for network

- turn the phone off

- insert sim

- reboot again 

@zhonglin1002 just a thought....have you tried connecting you phone to iTunes via the cable....to see maybe if it pushes something to the phone?? I suggest you try to rule that out also.

@zhonglin1002There was another member a few weeks ago with a very similar issue and the mods did something to fix the sim and make it work. Let me see if i can find it.

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

how can i get a new sim card? going to the store would be the quickest way? thank you

Yes correct. They will sell it for $10 +taxes.

You can call ahead to avoid any disappointments.

Btw have you checked your self-serve account to make sure all is well?

You will need to logon to self-serve to change your SIM number.

zhonglin1002

how can i get a new sim card? going to the store would be the quickest way? thank you

@zhonglin1002 

Running out of ideas, I was thinking to try cleaing the SIM.

It looks like @darlicious already mentioned it a few pages back.

zhonglin1002

yes.

ok now  i have tried all the solutions. none has worked.

i have received activation email from Public, so the SIM card info is correct

the only issue i can think of is a bad SIM Card

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

Public online

This is where you bought the sim?

zhonglin1002

Public online

@zhonglin1002 

Have you done these checks?

From Apple's site.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201420

If you see 'invalid SIM' or 'no SIM' on your iPhone or iPad

If you get an alert that says Invalid SIM or No SIM Card installed, follow these steps.

1. Make sure that you have an active plan with your wireless carrier. 
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS.
  3. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  4. Check for a carrier settings update. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see a prompt to select OK or Update.
  5. Remove your SIM card from the SIM card tray and then put the SIM card back. Make sure that the SIM tray closes completely and isn’t loose. If you use a SIM tray from a different model iPhone, iPad, or from another phone manufacturer, it might not fit properly.
  6. Try using another SIM card. If you don't have one, go to your carrier's retail store and ask them to test with another SIM card. You might need to replace your SIM card.

If you still see an alert about your SIM card, contact Apple support.

Learn what to do if you see a SIM not supported alert.

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

tried. worked with non fido SIM. seems something wrong with Public SIM

See, lot of answers with one little step. If you are sure that the sim number is correct in your account and it says active you may need to consider another sim. I will point out bad sims are very rare.

zhonglin1002

no my phone is not from Fido.

@zhonglin1002Where did you purchase your sim?

@krazykiwi wrote:

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

thank you guys. No valid solution so far. What I can do next......

I woud insert a non fido sim that you are positive works properly and insert it into your phone. This simple step would answer many questions.

If your phones are originally from Fido, you should be trying with any SIM other than Rogers, Fido and ChatR (as these companies share the same network, their SIMs would work on a locked fido phone).

zhonglin1002

tried. worked with non fido SIM. seems something wrong with Public SIM

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

Have you tried with another SIM card to ensure your phone can read it?

If the problem persists, you will have to get either the SIM card replaced (or another phone).

So far, your testing is not conclusive. Although iresults are leaning towards a bad SIM.

zhonglin1002

iphone 7

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

I woud insert a non fido sim that you are positive works properly and insert it into your phone. This simple step would answer many questions.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

Try applying a small piece of tape onto the back of the SIM card and retry.

I do not recommend using tape on your sim. The tape may come off and get stuck in there or the glue from the tape may heat up when the phone is on and cause more issues.

Others have tried it. As long as the tape is put on the back of the SIM card and doesn't stick out, it's worth trying. The SIM card needs to fit well to make contact.

@krazykiwi  Is there something better than tape?

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

Tell us the phone model so we can help research possible solutions for you? 🙂

zhonglin1002

@LovesToPM wrote:

Try applying a small piece of tape onto the back of the SIM card and retry.

I do not recommend using tape on your sim. The tape may come off and get stuck in there or the glue from the tape may heat up when the phone is on and cause more issues.

@zhonglin1002 

Try applying a small piece of tape onto the back of the SIM card?

Also do you have another SIM card to try on your phone(s)? Just to make sure the phone is working properly. It could even be your fido SIM.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

On some phones it also says no sim card if the phone is locked.

Are you sure your phone is unlocked? Maybe contact Fido with your IMEI number and get the unlock code.

Generally in this case, the phone would also be asking for the unlock PIN.

Yes I'd say 99% of the time however ive seen this before. One year bought like 20  Motorola prepaid phones on Verizons network on black Friday for $10 a pop. Brought them back to Canada to resale and could not get the popup to enter unlock pin. Phones would just say "no sim" on top left and in settings "No sim detected". 

Had to connect them to computer and unlock them via Android ABD (debug bride) and some steps on XDA .......

Now thinking of it it's likely not the case with this OP lol...

@zhonglin1002 is the sim tray possible bent a bit causing the contacts not to touch??

What kind of phone so you have?

Do you have an iPhone? If so, maybe see this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/jZwjXmNe3e8

zhonglin1002

no my phone is unlocked

zhonglin1002

i tried on another phone, same NO SIM

@zhonglin1002  If you got your phone prior to December 2017 you need to unlock your phone. If your phone is newer than that check to see if the SIM card is making a good contact in your phone. You may need to gently clean either the SIM card or the contacts in the phone with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Alternatively make sure it is properly seated in the SIM tray or slot to make contact.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@zhonglin1002 wrote:

FIDO line has shut down and no service with FIDO SIM. It has been over 2 hrs but still showing NO SIM. Any step i can take?

Another question would be, did you leave your FIDO account active while you ported your number to PM, or did you shut down your FIDO account BEFORE you attempted to get a PM account working?

While you bring up a valid point, this would not cause the NO SIM issue.

@Jb456 wrote:

On some phones it also says no sim card if the phone is locked.

Are you sure your phone is unlocked? Maybe contact Fido with your IMEI number and get the unlock code.

Generally in this case, the phone would also be asking for the unlock PIN.

Need Help? Let's chat.