cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery outgoing calls on usage history

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Hi,

I got my phone this evening from London Drugs. I got a new phone number.

I am on the $15 plan. I get 100 minutes of outgoing calls. Incoming calls are unlimited.

When I looked at my usage history it said I used up 15 minutes. I thought that was odd, because I only called out to one person and it was for 5 minutes.

I looked at my usage history and I have 9 outgoing calls to these numbers: 778-581-14001 and to 778-580-4001. Can someone please shed some light on what is happening.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

@KGblake wrote:

its my daughters phone, and she doesn't use voicemail....so I saw that it was mentioned that its voicemail number, but still didn't make sense ...

When someone calls, the phone will ring for 25 seconds by default. After 25 seconds, the call is forwarded to the voicemail deposit number - which in your case is 778-581-4001. Even if you setup your voicemail to prevent leaving of messages, the call is still considered forwarded to play the announcement.

You can change the delay before forwarding from 5 to a maximum 30 seconds, and you can change the number it is forwarded to, but you can't turn it off completely. You can set an invalid number like 0000000000 if you really don't want it to go to the voicemail system, but the best way is to let it but set an extended absence greeting and disable the ability to leave messages. See this post for how to do that:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805#M3875...

@KGblake 

@KGblake wrote:

its my daughters phone, and she doesn't use voicemail....so I saw that it was mentioned that its voicemail number, but still didn't make sense ...

Nicki 

If somebody calls your daughter number and call gets forwarded to voicemail, it will show up on the usage.  I don't believe that the caller even needs to leave a message for it to show up on the usage history

KGblake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nicki 

@KGblake 

Yes indeed thats your voicemail number. Just out of curiosity did you enter the number in the search bar and this thread came up?

@Dunkman 

I was wondering why is @JoyLuck asking this question they should know this.....then i saw the date. lol....

@JoyLuck @KGblake 

Welcome to public mobile! We're always happy to help.

@KGblake wrote:

HI, this same number is also showing up on my phone, outgoing calls from my number, but I have never called it 

@KGblake 

Whenever someone leaves a voicemail, that number is called. It should not be counted as actual minutes if you have the $15 plan.  If you dial to check your voicemail from your cell number, then minutes will be used up.

KGblake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

HI, this same number is also showing up on my phone, outgoing calls from my number, but I have never called it 

Here is a current list of all voicemail access numbers across Canada that I know of I updated recently. You can dial your own number, or one of these numbers that are a local call from a land line to access your voicemail without consuming your outgoing mobile minutes.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

You can also consider using a 3rd party voicemail service such as youmail. You manually reconfigure your 3 "conditional" call forwards to one of their canadian numbers instead of the default Public Mobile/Telus voicemail deposit number. Then your voicemails can be delivered to you by e-mail, so you don't have to dial anywhere to listen to the sound file attachment. 20 messages per month will additionally be transcribed to text for free. This way, I don't even have to install their APP. https://www.youmail.com/

prem1555
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think that You tries two different number.One is wrong number which are used. So it counts minites. Same as if you have voice mail, every time you open it will be a minues charge. Only for outgoing not incoming. Thats normal and wait and see. You will understand clearly.

@JoyLuck wrote:

So if someone leaves a voice message for me it is not costing me any minutes?

It is only when I check for voicemail that I use minutes up?

If I check my voice mail from a different device like my landline than I will not be using up any minutes?

Someone leaving message doesn't use your minutes.

Listening to message only uses minutes if you use your cell phone for it.

So if someone leaves a voice message for me it is not costing me any minutes?

It is only when I check for voicemail that I use minutes up?

If I check my voice mail from a different device like my landline than I will not be using up any minutes?

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, because you make phone calls.

Should using my phone to set up and check for voice mail count towards the 100 minutes of outgoing calls?

Need Help? Let's chat.