cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sim

Roshanak762
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I bought a sim card from Vancouver store, starting with 778, but nobody can call me from landline and it doesn't work with buzzer( doorbell).

When some one called with landline it said long distance call.

11 REPLIES 11

@Roshanak762 the number is associated with a physical location. Only way to change "where" it is located is to change to a number with a different prefix in a rate-centre in your desired location...

@Roshanak762 hi

create a self serve account here to get you started

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

if you cannot create an account, contact customer support mods here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Roshanak762

And if I keep the number, should I change the company ?

@Roshanak762 - you mention people in vancouver indicate your number is long distance. As previously mentioned, lookup your prefix 778-xxx at cnac.ca to see what rate centre (city) it is associated with.

If you really want to keep the number, you can sign up for a new vancouver phone # at freephoneline.ca and set it to forward to your cel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember a while ago a customer complained after demanding that the clerk give him a 403 number. Ok then..the clerk gives him an available 403 number from way over there somewhere else.

Oh. But it's long distance. Yup. Sigh.

@Roshanak762 wrote:

Thanks for reply.

If I want to keep the number, do I have any solution?

I was wondering if the salesperson can assign it to local Vancouver?

Cheers,

Since you just got the number, the easiest thing to do would be to simply change the phone number. That can be done yourself from within your self serve account.

No @Roshanak762 , the salesman can't assign the number to local Vancouver.You can probably look at getting a Fongo or TextNow voip local number and forward it to your phone over WiFi. Give your local landline friends this number and see if it works for your buzzer.

Roshanak762

Thanks for reply.

If I want to keep the number, do I have any solution?

I was wondering if the salesperson can assign it to local Vancouver?

Cheers,

@Roshanak762 wrote:

Hi,

I bought a sim card from Vancouver store, starting with 778, but nobody can call me from landline and it doesn't work with buzzer( doorbell).

Other than a chance that the store saleperson's may have accidently assigned you a phone number that isn't local to Vancouver (assuming that what you wanted), this wouldn't actually be a Public Mobile issue.  Whether it's long distance to call you is controlled by the carrier of the person calling you.

@gblackma The CNAC CO status page does not tell you if a phone number (group of phone numbers) is local to an area. It only tells you the name of the rate centre/city. There are some rate centres that won't say "Vancouver", for example, but are still local to that city. For that, local calling areas would have to be researched, but those are set by the carrier, and can vary slightly from one carrier to another.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Roshanak762 wrote:

Hi,

You could buy a SIM card from a Moncton NB store and get a 778 number.

All area codes are allocated to a province. Then there's the prefix which gets allocated to a specific city or region. Then there's the specific 4 digits of your individual number.

Long distance is always up to the callers calling plan. Then building intercoms are up to whether or not the building operator wants to pay to be able to call "long distance" numbers. Real copper land lines adhere to the old standards of long distance.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Roshanak762 if you would like your number to be local, then you will have to change it to a local number. You can do this once every 30 day cycle using the change number option in your self service account. Try to get another 778 area code stay away from the  672 one.

20200723_093448.jpg

Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to see the required 3 numbers to make your number local. http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm 

Need Help? Let's chat.